Sept 15 to 22 Crown ...Medical Emergency

Briarwood

Has anyone heard how the passenger who had the medical emergency and had to be transferred off the ship in the middle of the night by Coast Guard Cutter....how he is doing, or any info at all....I can't help thiking about him and his travelling companion or family...hope everything worked out okay.

On another note about that... how heartwarming to see the number of people who immediately volunteered to donate blood to this person.

What a wonderful group of people you should all be commended for your compassion and generousity.

I remembering someone stating how they were looking for anyone who could donate blood for this cruise in their review. I was curious how they were testing people to do this. I am O neg, which is a universal doner, but how would they have checked that and checked my blood type in such a short time ?

Jckvpa0

The request for blood donors was made with the request that those with blood donor cards showing A+ come down. There were many people up at the Horizon court when the announcements were made that felt terrible that they did not have their cards with them. The response was terrific. I would also love to know how the patient made out.

That is so scary. We had the same request for blood donors during our July cruise on the Crown. At least your patient was able to be medivacd. We were too far out at sea for that. The patient stayed onboard till we arrived back in NY.

We were on this cruise and heard that he had made it through the crisis and was stable. I hadn't heard about the relapse, only that he was transferred off the ship by the Canadian Coast Guard. Don't even know what kind of medical emergency it was but think the Captain was very gracious in thanking everyone for their overwhelming response at the time. My DH and I were rather curious what could have happened to require a transfusion in the middle of the night?? Sickle cell crisis maybe?? Not sure....but glad he/she made it.

That is really weird...I'd read about an emergency on a cruise prior to ours (I was on the Crown the trip before yours, Briarwood-the 6th through the 15th). A poster said they'd made an announcement asking for donors who had their cards with them to go somewhere to donate.

I actually BROUGHT my card because of this post, but fortunately didn't ever need it.

It's odd that would happen at all much less twice on the same ship.

Sandi

I have a *really* stupid question. What is a blood donor card, and where do I get one? Blood donation time only comes twice to the city I live in, as there's no other facility in which to donate....and every time it's come since I've lived here, I've been sick!

=(

T

I remembering someone stating how they were looking for anyone who could donate blood for this cruise in their review. I was curious how they were testing people to do this. I am O neg, which is a universal doner, but how would they have checked that and checked my blood type in such a short time ?

An "O" positive or negative person is a universal doner;)

Per the previous poster who wondered what could cause a crisis of that type, I would say there are many possibilites besides sickle cell. A couple that I can think of would be a GI bleed (actually pretty common) or a bleed caused by something like coumadin altering blood values. Of course, an injury or broken bone type of thing can damage vessels also. Lots of possibilities from the population on a cruise ship. Hope the person is doing well, and as usual, cruisers step up and help each other when needed.

Please carry your blood type cards with you when you travel!

Archived