What to wear?

sandravb79

What do you wear to go snorkling (sp?)?

I know it won't be a prom-dress or such :) but is it OK to wear a 2-piece, is it better to wear a 1-piece, put shorts and t-shirt over it, ...?

I will try to snorkle at Freeport (Bahamas) and have never done it before.

I remember the first time I tried to waterski, I realized very quickly that wearing a 2-piece wasn't the best idea I ever had, and since then, I always wore shorts and t-shirt over it :)

Thanks a lot for your help!

I'd suggest a T-shirt to keep you from getting sunburned, with your two piece underneath. The water makes you forget about the sun, but trust me its still there, and can be very intense on your back. You'll also most likely be wearing a snorkeling vest, and the T-shirt helps you avoid those unsightly strap marks in you tan.;)

What do you wear to go snorkling (sp?)?

I know it won't be a prom-dress or such :) but is it OK to wear a 2-piece, is it better to wear a 1-piece, put shorts and t-shirt over it, ...?

I will try to snorkle at Freeport (Bahamas) and have never done it before.

I remember the first time I tried to waterski, I realized very quickly that wearing a 2-piece wasn't the best idea I ever had, and since then, I always wore shorts and t-shirt over it :)

Thanks a lot for your help!

I would try a Body Glove rash guard instead of a t-shirt over your suit. They have a SFP rating of 60 and they don't sag when wet. They dry fast when you get out of the water. They run from $19.95 to $36.95 at local sporting goods store or local Dive shop. If you want bottoms, my wife uses biking shorts to the knees from target. They are a spandex and nylon mix.

I would try a Body Glove rash guard instead of a t-shirt over your suit. They have a SFP rating of 60 and they don't sag when wet. They dry fast when you get out of the water. They run from $19.95 to $36.95 at local sporting goods store or local Dive shop. If you want bottoms, my wife uses biking shorts to the knees from target. They are a spandex and nylon mix.

A - yes wear something to cover up because getting burned is easy...back and back of legs

B - white t-shirt is useless once wet...if u go t...go color

C - for years I wore an old nylon football jersey. It did not stretch when wet and dried fast when I got out ... and the sleeves were a little longer than average....

I wear a one piece swim suit made for "actual" swimming/competition (the last thing I want to worry about is straps falling off my shoulders, etc.), a short-sleeve rash guard shirt, and plenty of sunscreen on the backs of my legs.

The rash gard dries off very quickly and prevents those unsightly strap lines from the snorkeling vest.

RashguardShFamily-Lg.jpg.4ee5bfdce574325bbbe76b5142752138.jpg

723601_762_dt.jpg.7348547e486c373573cab5c2b35c6b76.jpg

Thank you for the answers!

At least now I know I won't look stupid wearing a t-shirt and I know to better wear something instead of being sunburned.

I'm not sure I'll be able to buy the rash gard thing. I don't live in a diving-country :) and I'm not sure we'll have lots of time while on vacation for that. BUt I'll take old t-shirts with me, I don't mind to have to throw them away afterwards.

I'll also look out for a spandex bottom. I get sunburned easily (you know, bad country I live in, not very used to sun :) ) and try to avoid that at all cost!

Thank you for the answers!

At least now I know I won't look stupid wearing a t-shirt and I know to better wear something instead of being sunburned.

I'm not sure I'll be able to buy the rash gard thing. I don't live in a diving-country :) and I'm not sure we'll have lots of time while on vacation for that. BUt I'll take old t-shirts with me, I don't mind to have to throw them away afterwards.

I'll also look out for a spandex bottom. I get sunburned easily (you know, bad country I live in, not very used to sun :) ) and try to avoid that at all cost!

Hi,

I checked the PADI Scuba Diving Organization and it had the following in Brussels:

Brussels Diving Club S-799048

APICATION SPRL

NIEUWSTRAAT 46

DROGENBOS BRUXELLES

BELGIUM

Ph.: 0032 2 331 68 89

Fax: 5

You might give them a call and see if there's a local store in Brussels that sells rash guards. :)

Randall

• 2 weeks later...

If the water is a little bit cool, you might consider renting a "shortie" wet suit from a dive shop once you get there.

I always snorkeled in t-shirts until I discovered the shortie. It helps you to float while also keeping you from getting sunburned. The WORST sunburn I ever received was from snorkeling. I thought I was protected since I used sunscreen, but the salt water washed it away far too quickly.

Archived