Tours arranged with Vatican?

• 4 months later...

Is the tour given by the Vatican guide just as good as other private tour guide?

Why would anyone wants to choose a Vatican guide over the private ones?

I am just trying to decide which one to choose. I would delighted if anyone have any input.

Thanks!

We ordered tickets via fax on the Holy See website. We went in the back door at the assigned time we had originally requested. The tour was great. I have nothing to compare it with but we were in a group of about 10 people. I can't imagine any other tour would be better. There was plenty of time spent. I would highly recommend it. The price was extremely reasonable.

A few years ago, my Mom and I toured Italy and she arranged for a tour of St. Peters with American Seminarians studying in Rome. I forget all the details but as I recall, she arranged it through her hometown priest. I remember that we met the Priest...well in training anyway...at an office on the left as you faced the Bascillica along with ten or twelve others. It was a great tour and also gave us a chance to hear abotu living and studying in Vatican City. As i recall it was free though donations to the Order were certainly welcome and in our case given.

Whatever you do, be sure to go to the Roof of St. Peter's ....its incredible and if you have the stamina to climb up to the dome, be sure to do it too!

Clay

We ordered tickets via fax on the Holy See website. We went in the back door at the assigned time we had originally requested. The tour was great. I have nothing to compare it with but we were in a group of about 10 people. I can't imagine any other tour would be better. There was plenty of time spent. I would highly recommend it. The price was extremely reasonable.

When you faxed in your request for tour tickets for the Vatican, how long did it take the Vatican to send you confirmation of your tour?

I've read a lot about the importance of pre-arranging a tour directly with the Vatican. I've done that, but what exactly does it get me?

Thanks!

There are many ways to "see" the Vatican (the museums, the Sistine Chapel, St. Peters).

You can do it yourself. Either stand in line to buy tickets when you get there or pre-purchase them online. This allows you to bypass what can be a very long line.

You can sign up for a guided tour. This can be either a Vatican guided tour or a private tour company tour. There are lots out there.

You can do a group guided tour or a private guided tour. The private tour will of course be more expensive.

Most group tours are around 10-15 people but could be more. Some use headphones so everyone can hear. Some don't.

Do as much research as you can.... to be sure you are getting the experience you really want.

We used http://www.rome-museum.com/

you are part of a "tour group" but once inside the guide gives you a short briefing and then you proceed at your own pace.

Also can use tours exit from Sistine Chapel to access St Peters and the Tomb of the Popes.

We booked for 8:15am entry, arrived and met the guide at about 8:10 and where inside and on our way by about 8:25.

Book online, before 30 days you will be told to wait until the 30 day point where the vatican issues the tickets. Then you get an email with a link to their site to print of your confirmation which you give to the guide when you meet them.

Used the same people for pre booking Gallerie Borghese in Rome and Academia in Florence.

Prices seemed to be very reasonable.

David

Archived