First Cruise to Alaska: Sun or Star?

racepoint

I'd really like some opinions from experianced Alaska cruisers. I think I've narrowed down my choice for an Alaskan cruise in July '08 to NCL STAR or SUN. I know I want a balcony (I've heard differing opinions as to port, starboard, or "it doesn't really matter" what side of the ship - just that a balcony is a "must.") The cruise fare on Sun is less, but the airfare is more to Vancouver than Seattle, making them both pretty even, cost-wise. Is it "eeney-meeney-miney-moe" or am I missing some cruicial detail that would influence my choice. HELP, please.:o

My preference is for the Sun -- but I've never sailed the Star. Here's my reasoning, if it helps. Both ships sail to Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. The Star has an additional stop at Prince Rupert to satisfy the foreign port requirement, but from what I've read, you're not really there long enough to see much.

The advantage to the Sun is that, since it does sail from Vancouver, you get to see more of the inside passage. On the Star, you're out at sea, sailing up the west side of Vancouver Island with little scenery for the first and last part of your cruise. On the Sun, sailing from Vancouver, there isn't much time when you're not in sight of land.

As far as the airfare difference, we had the same issues when we sailed on the Sun to Alaska in 2004. We were sailing with 4 of us, and flew into Seattle for about $300 pp less than flying into Vancouver. From Seattle, it's about 5 or 6 hours into Vancouver. We rented a car and drove, but there's also options of bus or train transfers, which don't cost as much as the normal airfare difference.

I have friends who just returned from a cruise on the Star and had a wonderful time, too, so my guess is that either one will work for you. Have a great cruise!

the star is a great ship, we loved her....very comfortable, even when it's a sold-out cruise. since the both go to sawyer glaciers...hmmm, the star goes from seattle, goes out to open sea as she goes went of vancouver island. i didn't mind these, as it was at night...by 10am in the morning, we had views on both sides of the ship.

the sun leaves from vancouver and goes up between vancouver island and the mainland.

i would really prefer the pearl, it does glacier bay. sawyer has ice problems early in the season and at some other times. if you get close to them, you are lucky.

We have sailed the Star on the 7 day round trip out of Seattle to Alaska and Victoria. We have also sailed the Sun on a 5-day repositioning cruise along the Pacific Coast from L.A. to Vancouver. I really enjoyed the size and variety of the public spaces on the Star. It seemed more designed for Freestyle dining, and had the Blue Lagoon for 24 hour light dining---yummy fish and chips and nice pound cake, plus burgers, etc. That was nice after a long cool day in port. The shops were also larger. The Sun seemed a bit smaller and didn't have the Blue Lagoon. However, both were very nice.

We were just on the Star! We loved the trip. We did luck out and had wonderful weather, but we did get close to the glacier and seen beautiful scenery!! The inside passage is beautiful viewing. Another plus to going on the Star is Seattle is a wondeful port and a fun place to visit before boarding. The Market place is a must see!

Nevertheless, enjoy your trip! It is a gorgeous journey!;)

If you can swing it, a couple of days either in front or after in either Seattle or Vancouver is WELL worth it. Seattle is a simply stunningly beautiful city (from someone in the NY metro area) and Vancouver is even MORE beautiful!

We've not been on the Sun yet, but have been on the Star. The Star has the GV suites, which, for us was EASILY the clincher. Prince Rupert is a bit of a throw-away but the tours can be very enjoyable. The museum and Native lodge house tour was an interesting and enjoyable coda to our trip.

I think either way you'll have a FINE time--just avoid the coffee after dinner on the Star--get cappuccino instead--the coffee is undrinkable but the cappuccino is OK.

I'd really like some opinions from experianced Alaska cruisers. I think I've narrowed down my choice for an Alaskan cruise in July '08 to NCL STAR or SUN. I know I want a balcony (I've heard differing opinions as to port, starboard, or "it doesn't really matter" what side of the ship - just that a balcony is a "must.") The cruise fare on Sun is less, but the airfare is more to Vancouver than Seattle, making them both pretty even, cost-wise. Is it "eeney-meeney-miney-moe" or am I missing some cruicial detail that would influence my choice. HELP, please.:o

Just curious as to why you aren't considering the Pearl out of Seattle.:confused: It may be a little more expensive, but with Glacier Bay in the itinerary, it's our choice--we did it this year and are booked on it again next May.

A couple of posts mentioned a stop in Prince Rupert. That is where I saw the most amazing thing I experienced on ANY cruise. There were bald eagles all over the place. When we walked around town there were eagles in every tree. At the dock there was an eagle on most of the pylons. When our sightseeing boat docked, we were within 5 feet of one. It was absolutely fabulous. Those majestic birds just take your breath away.

I'm absolutely certain that you will love either itinerary, but whatever criteria you use to make your choice, I would put a stop in Prince Rupert on the "plus" side.

Just curious as to why you aren't considering the Pearl out of Seattle.:confused: It may be a little more expensive, but with Glacier Bay in the itinerary, it's our choice--we did it this year and are booked on it again next May.

I'm wondering exactly the same. Of all the ships sailing out of Seattle, it would be my first choice

BTW-I wish they only had 1 ship in Seattle (keep the Pearl doing the GB itinerary), move the Star to Vancouver and have either the Sun or Star do 1 way cruises back & forth between Anchorage & Van. (or have one of them do RT to Hubbard-which they could do even if sailing out of seattle-I wonder if there are permit problems with doing that?) - To me that would provide more variety (I posted this same thing a year or so ago on the Alaska board and got shot down by several people, oh well-LOL)

I'm wondering exactly the same. Of all the ships sailing out of Seattle, it would be my first choice

BTW-I wish they only had 1 ship in Seattle (keep the Pearl doing the GB itinerary), move the Star to Vancouver and have either the Sun or Star do 1 way cruises back & forth between Anchorage & Van. (or have one of them do RT to Hubbard-which they could do even if sailing out of seattle-I wonder if there are permit problems with doing that?) - To me that would provide more variety (I posted this same thing a year or so ago on the Alaska board and got shot down by several people, oh well-LOL)

Monte, I TOTALLY agree with your suggestion. I'd really like to be able to get to Hubbard Glacier, but won't be able to do so unless we choose to try another line. As I've posted several times in the past, my ranking of the NCL itineraries are #1 Pearl (for Glacier Bay), #2 Sun (for the inside passage) and #3 the Star.

I have been on both the Sun and Star to Alaska and sailed the Pearl and Sun this year. The Star has WAY better upper deck viewing, since that may be important to a lot of people due to a great deal of scenic sailing. With either of these ships- I STRONGLY suggest you budget in the Tracy Arm add on tour. It is NECESSARY for you to get close up viewing of the Sawyer Glaciers. For information only, I took the 7-22 sailing of the Sun this year- it was the FIRST time that the ship got within view of the South Sawyer Glacier. They were at least a couple miles out. The jet boat- got right up to the face, also stopped at a water fall, several humpbacks, an eagle on an iceburg, brown bear wandering along the shore, harbor seals in front of Sawyer. NO ONE reported seeing any of this from the cruise ship. I do have photos showing the view of the glacier from both thte ship and jet boat, I will try and post them.

I agree, that the Pearl is way superior in itinerary with Glacier Bay.

I most always fly into Vancouver and as mentioned, there is Quick Shuttle, Amtrak, ship contracted buses and one way rental cars (you want downtown Vancouver, not the airport).

I agree Monte- in fact I wrote it on both Comment cards with my sailing the Pearl and Sun to Alaska this year, AND noted it also on the Majesty last week. I plan on writing it on the Pride of America next month. :) I also had dinner with the cpt. of the Sun and even mentioned it to him too. :)

Speaking of Tracy Arm, here's a question for Budget Queen. My friends who just returned from the Star ended up going to Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier (I think that's the name) on their cruise which sailed on 9/10. Apparently NCL has done this quite a bit this summer when Tracy Arm was inacessible.

My friend's email discussing their trip included a statement that the captain thinks Endicott is better than Tracy Arm anyway. Have you ever been to Endicott? Just curious, as we loved Tracy Arm and did the small boat that you mentioned. If, however, Endicott is more accessible and the scenery is better (or even close to as gorgeous as Tracy arm), why don't they just make that the regular destination??

Ya know, if Ute & BQ think I had a good idea, I just might be on to something-guess that takes care of my one good thought for this month ;) (I'm only allowed one each month)

You mean you get one good thought a month? Mine are much rarer than that :D .

I'm the OP. Thank you for all your opinions and suggestions. I hadn't even looked at the Pearl until now. I went back and checked it out and the fares are $400-$700/pp more for the same category cabin as I've been looking at on Star and Sun. I guess I'm trying to do this more "low budget" and still book a good Alaskan cruise. I am leaning more towards the Star. I do appreciate all the good advice!

the star is beautiful...the pearl is just newer.

go over to the alaska port-of-calls for more information on the excursions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

if you do go to tracy arms/sawyer...take the NCL excursions to the glaciers, more chance for wildlife viewing as well as close to the glaciers.

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

http://www.skagway.com/

http://www.alaskacruises.com/alaska_glacier_viewing.asp

I'm the OP. Thank you for all your opinions and suggestions. I hadn't even looked at the Pearl until now. I went back and checked it out and the fares are $400-$700/pp more for the same category cabin as I've been looking at on Star and Sun. I guess I'm trying to do this more "low budget" and still book a good Alaskan cruise. I am leaning more towards the Star. I do appreciate all the good advice!

I'm sure you'll have a good time on any of the NCL ships to Alaska. Have a great time! As I'm sure you know-Alaska is beautiful

Archived