Tell me where to walk to with a 3 and 1yo?

Paleochick

I don't think we can take a cab since I don't want to haul the car seats off the ship, so I gather the southern most point is out of the question. We want to take the 90 minute train ride, but after that, where do you recommend we walk with our kids? We'll be on Carnival Liberty...I think we dock at Pier B. Is Duvall where all the action is? Is there a great lunch spot there that kids would like? Dh and I like good food, fun atmosphere, and great drinks. Thanks for your advice.

Don't miss the aquarium...it's close to port area. I would defilitely recommend the Conch Train tour...you'll see the whole island. As far as dining...I would avoid Duval Street and head down some of the side streets like Front, Greene or Caroline...not as crowded but some decent eateries.

If you have strollers for them , you can wheel them over to the historic schooner port. They might enjoy seeing the boats, yachts and tall ships docked there. Sometimes you can easily see tarpon fish hanging out near the boats. These are good places for photo ops too.

There are some pretty decent restaurants there at these docks too.

The Aquarium might entertain your children and hang out outside of the Wrecker's histreum. There is a funny staue of an old fisherman sitting on a bench there. Also the large red brick customs house museum has an amromous statue of a turn-of-the-century woman a couple stories high. This is a fun photo op spot and the kids might enjoy seeing that.

The Mel Fisher sunken treasure museum is near there too. It is said to be South Florida's most visited museum. This might not interest your children so much, but you might enjoy it.

If they aren't too scared, there is also the Pirate Soul Museum. They might or might not enjoy this. It depends on what your children can tolerate. You could at least walk by there and look in the display window and see the large jolly roger flags hanging there. (Don't pause at the shop next door. That display is not for children.)

Butterfly conservatory is good for small kids. You may want to check into the trolley tour instead of the train because you can hop on and off at different stops. I think there is a stop near the southern most point. The aquarium is small but close to Pier B and Mallory Square. The lighthouse has a gift shop and a keeper's house museum but I would only climb the lighthouse one person at a time with the other at the bottom watching the kids and taking a photo of the person at the top. The stairs are an open spiral staircase set away from the walls, so all you have to hang on to is the railing and the centre post until the top twenty feet.

While this may be why *I* go to Key West, believe it or not, kids can have fun there as well. ;)

I think there will be plenty of things for my kids to do there without getting in the way of the bar-hopping party crowd. We travel a lot and haven't had any problem finding our own fun anywhere.

Holy Moly...... I can't believe I just read that......

Absolutely take your kids to Key West !!!! We lived in Vero Beach for 8 years and used to go to the Keys camping all the time..... and spend at least one whole day AND evening there.

There is the conch train, the aquarium, in the Customs house has a parrot show, tons of neat shops, bars, restaurants etc....

Duval street is the main street..... lots of different people. That is what makes it really neat to me. At night - well it gets a little more interesting but we have never ever felt unsafe or anything.

Mallory Square has the sunset celebration. Jugglers, tightrope walkers, swordswallowers and LOTS MORE. If you are docked at Mallory you will be kind of right under your ship..... nice and convenient.

Our kids were 10 and 3 when first visiting Keys and Key West. They loved it then and still do ( now 31 and 23) ! We still go for lobster season almost every summer.

Archived