Just got off the Connie TA this past Thursday

momofmeg

I was on the same cruise. There is absolutely no extra charge for desserts. What Mom of Meg saw was a liquer menu.

No it wasn't MA Bell, I also saw the liquer menu, this was also in a folder but instead of 8 by 10 size, more a 6 by 8 size.

No it wasn't MA Bell, I also saw the liquer menu, this was also in a folder but instead of 8 by 10 size, more a 6 by 8 size.

I believe that Momofmeg is correct. We were on the same cruise and at the end of dinner in the main dining room, our waiter placed a folded card on the table which listed after drinks and special desserts available at extra cost. Since we never ordered from it, I can't remember specifically what desserts were listed or their price. Overall I was pleased with the desserts offered off the regular menu so didn't feel a need to order anything more. The creme brulee offered at the end of the first night's meal was as good as I have had anywhere though other desserts did not quite reach that level. Since it was my first time on Celebrity, I can't say if the food was better or worse than it has been in the past, but I would rate it slightly better than on RCI but not consistently superior. Oceanliners menu was, IMHO, more limited than I would have liked, the service a bit pretentious and not worth the higher tariff compared to Chops or Portofino.

I believe that Momofmeg is correct. We were on the same cruise and at the end of dinner in the main dining room, our waiter placed a folded card on the table which listed after drinks and special desserts available at extra cost. Since we never ordered from it, I can't remember specifically what desserts were listed or their price. Overall I was pleased with the desserts offered off the regular menu so didn't feel a need to order anything more. The creme brulee offered at the end of the first night's meal was as good as I have had anywhere though other desserts did not quite reach that level. Since it was my first time on Celebrity, I can't say if the food was better or worse than it has been in the past, but I would rate it slightly better than on RCI but not consistently superior. Oceanliners menu was, IMHO, more limited than I would have liked, the service a bit pretentious and not worth the higher tariff compared to Chops or Portofino.

Yes I only noticed it the last formal night. I was just disapointed that I never saw tirmansui on the menu that cruise. one night we did eat at Oceanliners-so it could have been served that night in the main dinningroom-we ate in Oceanliners the first sea day-Sept. 20.

I can see if it was made extra special that it would cost more then the usual recipe-now I wish I had ordered it! and I would have- but I had already eaten the Baked Alaska by the time I noticed the folder!

Loved it! but one thing I wanted to ask-do you always pay extra for tirimasu?

Janie, glad you loved your TA. I know you were really looking forward to it.:)

Unbelievable that X is charging for specialty desserts. I wonder what this means for the future:confused:.

I was on this cruise and never once saw the little folder with special desserts offered == we had late seating. We were usually among the last out of the dining room, so our very excellent waiter --Adi -had plenty of time to slip it in front of us.

I thought the food was very good, and the portions of entree much too large, almost overwhelming. Always tasty and just right. Vegetables, however, seemed in short supply.

My travelling companion, who had early seating with what must have been worst table staff on the ship, was very disappointed with both food and service. She said meats at their table usually too gristly or fatty, never cooked per order (too undone or too overdone) and service slow. She is not usually a complainer but this seemed to be happening to them every night. I think if they had offered her a menu with extra charge for dessert she would have exploded on the spot.

love

joan

Welcome back everyone from the Connie TA -glad to hear you had a nice time. We were thinking of you while on the Millennium Mediterranean cruise.

I've seen the little folder on several other cruises and it is for liquor based coffee drinks and other dessert drinks. I know it might sound a little confusing as some of these drinks are named after desserts, but I asked once and was told that these are all after dinner drinks. Desserts you eat are no extra charge. And no - you can't eat the Banana Split or the Oatmeal Cookie served in the martini bar for around $10 either, but they do make nice after dinner drinks as well - served straight up in the classic Celebrity martini glasses with lots of vodka in them!

Welcome back everyone from the Connie TA -glad to hear you had a nice time. We were thinking of you while on the Millennium Mediterranean cruise.

I've seen the little folder on several other cruises and it is for liquor based coffee drinks and other dessert drinks. I know it might sound a little confusing as some of these drinks are named after desserts, but I asked once and was told that these are all after dinner drinks. Desserts you eat are no extra charge. And no - you can't eat the Banana Split or the Oatmeal Cookie served in the martini bar for around $10 either, but they do make nice after dinner drinks as well - served straight up in the classic Celebrity martini glasses with lots of vodka in them!

Thanks for the clarification. It makes sense but a quick glance at the folder without a followup question to our waiter led us to believe there were specialty desserts available at additional cost. I am glad to learn that such was not the case. Thanks again.

I was on this cruise and never once saw the little folder with special desserts offered == we had late seating. We were usually among the last out of the dining room, so our very excellent waiter --Adi -had plenty of time to slip it in front of us.

I thought the food was very good, and the portions of entree much too large, almost overwhelming. Always tasty and just right. Vegetables, however, seemed in short supply.

My travelling companion, who had early seating with what must have been worst table staff on the ship, was very disappointed with both food and service. She said meats at their table usually too gristly or fatty, never cooked per order (too undone or too overdone) and service slow. She is not usually a complainer but this seemed to be happening to them every night. I think if they had offered her a menu with extra charge for dessert she would have exploded on the spot.

love

joan

Joan, you are the gal that took the Queen mary over right? I was thinking you were from Arizona but that is the couple we were on the Stonehenge tour pre cruise. You were at the St. albans Inn in Dover before boarding right? and we were on the train together from Cohb (spl?) to To Cork and also too the Versailles tour together.

I get it now, it was after dinner fancy drinks that were seperate from the wine list. The only time I even saw it was the last formal night. I did not see my waiter put it on the table, I just happened to look down and see it. Tiramasui just caught my eye I guess because I love that dessert and not seen it on the cruise.

but there were several "desserts" listed and then the specailty coffees were also listed ,like what we get at the Cova Cafe-thanks to the othe rpost that cleared that up-maybe next time I am on a Celebrity ship I will order an "Oatmeal cookie!" in one of the lounges!

Does X really charge for espressos? We regularly had triple espressos

on HAL free of charge. This is nothing we would order at home but was

one of those small treats that makes a cruise so special. The Connie will

be our first X cruise.

We also never saw a booklet with additional desserts, but I know that there had always been liqueur drinks available, at additional costs.

On the whole, we were very pleased with our meals. There was maybe one or two meals, that were a little "off", but nothing to really complain about. We had a wonderful waiter "Olman", that really couldn't do enough for us. A gem! We mentioned how we enjoyed the "Mohr Em Hend" at lunch one day...and on the last evening, our whole table was served this wonderful, warm,chocolate dessert. A lovely way to end our voyage.

To all on our Roll Call, it was wonderful meeting you. I especially loved seeing everyone decked out in their "Setting Sun" shirts. I was extremely touched in receiving the lovely bouquet of flowers from everyone. I enjoyed doing the shirts, and was so surprised at this lovely gesture. Thank you all...

Karyn

Janie, glad you loved your TA. I know you were really looking forward to it.:)

Unbelievable that X is charging for specialty desserts. I wonder what this means for the future:confused:.

Hi Kim:) I think if you read on, there was just a misunderstanding

about it. No charge for it.

Hope you are doing well!:)

Thanks Larry, you explained it well. I've seen the folder on a number of cruises too.:)

Does X really charge for espressos? We regularly had triple espressos

on HAL free of charge. This is nothing we would order at home but was

one of those small treats that makes a cruise so special. The Connie will

be our first X cruise.

Yes and so does Princess and even Carnival. HAL is the only line I have been on that had a free coffee bar- I have only been on HAL once and that cruise was Alaska and as it was cooler then the caribbean, I spent lots of time there!

You know each line has some things they do better and other things not so good-that is why I enjoy crusing on all the lines-I enjoy differant experiences.

Hey any of them beat the free continetal breakfast you get at Hampton Inn huh! LOL!

I was on Princess and they brought Espressos and Cappuccinos to our table, at no charge, anytime we asked. I have even had espresso for breakfast in the dining room, gratis. This was about a year or less ago.

Hal is the only one who I know of that has a Cova type café where the coffees are free. It sure is nice. Wish others would join that trend but I don't think they will.

You know me, somewhere around here I have the little table folder complete with gold cord. I, too, am sure those are drinks and coffee drinks but I will make an effort to dig it up tomorrow and let you all know.

Glad everyone made it home safe and reasonably sound!

It was a great trip. I also enjoyed meeting a lot of you.

Hi Joyce & Tim:

It was nice to meet you two on the Baltic cruise and we really hated to leave you guys in Dover but it seems like you all made it back safely and apparently had good weather in the rest of your ports.

Nice to be home???

We are still suffering from waffle withdrawal!:D

Dave & Liz

I was on Princess and they brought Espressos and Cappuccinos to our table, at no charge, anytime we asked. I have even had espresso for breakfast in the dining room, gratis. This was about a year or less ago.

Hal is the only one who I know of that has a Cova type café where the coffees are free. It sure is nice. Wish others would join that trend but I don't think they will.

You know me, somewhere around here I have the little table folder complete with gold cord. I, too, am sure those are drinks and coffee drinks but I will make an effort to dig it up tomorrow and let you all know.

Glad everyone made it home safe and reasonably sound!

What princess ship? I ordered a latte on Caribbean Princess last October 2006 and had to pay for it with my "coffee" card. Princess allows you to buy a coffee card for $25 that gives you I think 10 of the specialty coffees for tha tprice. ofcourse, a 15% tip is added so it is more like $28or $27.50.

Sea Princess. But we may have gotten them for special reasons. I didn't think so as I saw other tables ordering them after dinner.

It is a nice touch but I guess time consuming for the staff.

How long ago? As I said in October 06- a year ago-we were charged for ours- they took and punched my specality coffee card- so that counted toward my 10 coffees.

Karyn, no mention of the tiramisu on our Spring '06 TA?????:D

The assistant maitre d' (now on Century..yea!) brought our table of 8 a tiramisu that was a good two feet across. HUGE. We didn't ask for it, and had ordered other desserts, but he casually asked if we liked it, and we said yes...then this THING arrived, took up the whole center of the table, and we all started digging in....could have used shovels! We ended up sending some to all the surrounding tables. It looked like the kind of thing made up for a specialty buffet, with an elaborate cocoa dusting spelling out the name of the dessert.

My theory(ies): we got LEFT OVERS from some buffet!!!!:p That, and we were drinking so much wine, they wanted to sober us up with coffee! I paid the price, though...kept me up all night(sensitivity to caffiene). Third thought is they did this so they could take pictures of us, like pigs at the trough, to amuse themselves....they brought the big thing to the table...and spoons....and nothing else.... No plates, no nothing!

Love that ship, love the TA's....glad you all had such a nice time.

Andrew

Karyn, no mention of the tiramisu on our Spring '06 TA?????:D

The assistant maitre d' (now on Century..yea!) brought our table of 8 a tiramisu that was a good two feet across. HUGE. We didn't ask for it, and had ordered other desserts, but he casually asked if we liked it, and we said yes...then this THING arrived, took up the whole center of the table, and we all started digging in....could have used shovels! We ended up sending some to all the surrounding tables. It looked like the kind of thing made up for a specialty buffet, with an elaborate cocoa dusting spelling out the name of the dessert.

My theory(ies): we got LEFT OVERS from some buffet!!!!:p That, and we were drinking so much wine, they wanted to sober us up with coffee! I paid the price, though...kept me up all night(sensitivity to caffiene). Third thought is they did this so they could take pictures of us, like pigs at the trough, to amuse themselves....they brought the big thing to the table...and spoons....and nothing else.... No plates, no nothing!

Love that ship, love the TA's....glad you all had such a nice time.

Andrew

Andrew, I would love to do another TA, and the Century and the Galaxy are the two I would be interested in, as this time I want to try one that leaves from Spain or Italy and precruise-I want to take a land tour of France, especially Paris, and Italy, Rome and Venice.

One thing about a cruise, it only gives you a little taste and I want to actually stay in Paris, so my dream is to do that! But my hubby, Tony, says it is Hawaii for our next specail cruise so maybe we will do that for our 50th! LOL!

Actually, Tony says we will just fly over to Paris and hopefully go also to Rome and Venice (no cruise) in 09. Ofcourse all that depends on the budget. Our home is 20 years old and is due for some remodeling.

Meg, we're not on the Century TA, but a Med cruise...but we are spending some time afterwards.....truly, to spend time on land in Europe, and then float casually home is the best! Next year, it's round trip TA's! (as my signature says, sort of an expensive way to spend 12 hours in Southampton, but really looking forward to those TA's.

However, we did the Hawaii cruise on Infinity last year, and it was AWESOME...almost like the TA's as you get four days over and four days back....not a bad compromise if you get to pick the following year! (UPDATE: just read about the housing remodel...we're looking at property...which will put a crimp in the travel budget beyond '08, so I feel your pain!)

Andrew

Archived