First time cruiser-- Question about what's included for Q6 suite

GracieM

Hello,

First timer here, we are booked in a Q6- my travel agent said we could order off-menu from the Queens Grill, or room service, and they would bring us whatever we wanted, gratis. How realistic is this? If I wanted oysters, caviar and a whole 2 pound lobster delivered via the grill or room service each night, would they (cheerfully) do it? What is the protocol, do most people order strictly from the menu?

Our travel agent also said our room would be stocked with a complimentary mini bar-- again, this seems wrong, as I thought liquor/sodas etc were additional.

We are used to smaller boutique resorts, so I am a little nervous about the size of the crowds. Is the private deck/hot tub area for the suites less crowded/more relaxing than the main areas? We are travelling the beginning of December, so I imagine it will be a less crowded travel time.

Thanks in advance for any advice and tips!

Hello,

First timer here, we are booked in a Q6- my travel agent said we could order off-menu from the Queens Grill, or room service, and they would bring us whatever we wanted, gratis. How realistic is this? If I wanted oysters, caviar and a whole 2 pound lobster delivered via the grill or room service each night, would they (cheerfully) do it? What is the protocol, do most people order strictly from the menu?

Our travel agent also said our room would be stocked with a complimentary mini bar-- again, this seems wrong, as I thought liquor/sodas etc were additional.

We are used to smaller boutique resorts, so I am a little nervous about the size of the crowds. Is the private deck/hot tub area for the suites less crowded/more relaxing than the main areas? We are travelling the beginning of December, so I imagine it will be a less crowded travel time.

Hi Gracie. I can answer these questions.

Since you are in a Queens Grill cabin, you can have what you described for room service. The crew's cheerfullness would depend upon your demeanour. ;)

You will be asked to pick two bottles of complimentary liquour and whatever is in your little refrigerator will be replentished daily. The two bottles are the 750ml size. Have a party! :) All will be replentished when/if necessary.

The QG hot tub/deck is on Deck 11. It's very uncrowded and quite peaceful.

You really don't have to worry about there being hoards about because of the size of the ship. Everyone is terribly fun to sail with. And I personally recommend the Deck 11 area. You can sleep like an angel there.

Hello,

on our last trip we were in a Q-5 cabin and yes we had oysters ,lobster in our cabin for dinner or lunch and each evening our butler would bring caviar for 5 or six people in our suite as we had cocktails prior to dinner. our choices of liquor and wine was replaced as was necessary with no additional charge. you are in for a magnifient experience. wish i was going with you BON VOYAGE

Yes, there is a charge. If you want it back the same day, there is a surcharge, otherwise, if they get it before 10.00 a.m., it comes back the next evening.

Thanks, I understand the laundry shedule etc, but does the butler press the occassional item for you at no charge?

Thanks, I understand the laundry shedule etc, but does the butler press the occassional item for you at no charge?

Not on QE2. But they are good about getting it back efficiently, and dealing with it in the morning (I normally chuck a bag out last thing at night)

Matthew

The butler shipped my shirt off to the laundry for pressing. There was a nominal charge.

Paul

I confirm everything everyone has written here. I was in a Q6 for my crossing last April. I never took meals in the room because I was travelling solo. Although it's a great luxury to eat in the cabin, don't do it every day because you'll miss the ambiance and service of the Queens Grill. I had caviar at least 3 nights, foie gras Dover Sole, lobster etc. It's all just as stated.

You will be asked to pick two bottles of complimentary liquour and whatever is in your little refrigerator will be replentished daily. The two bottles are the 750ml size.

I'm sure they are a litre on QE2.....

Matthew

I'm sure they are a litre on QE2.....

Matthew

Oooh, Paulie just checked and it very well may have been a litre. Yes, the more he thinks about it, they were litres. And here I was about to say thank goodness we're on the QE2 next year!

Just wanted the OP to know they weren't little wimpy bottles, but a size you can work with. ;)

Thanks for all the responses.

And no of course I do not intend to order room service every night, I was just presenting a (albeit implausible) scenario for argument's sake. I heard about the "stump the chef" days of the past and was wondering if any of that service oriented mentality still exists. From the responses posted here, it certainly seems like it does.

It all sounds wonderful, we are really looking forward to our first cruise experience.

What's the customary tip when ordering room service? Thanks.

The tip is included in the daily amount that is debited to your shipboard account. It is perfectly acceptable to give an additional amount for good service but is not necessary or expected (unless you opt out of the auto-tipping, that is).

Archived