On board liquor purchases

clivep

Can anyone tell me the current policy on board ship.

The printed policy is that on board purchases will be held till departure. On the Jewel of the Seas 2 years ago this policy was disregarded and bottles of liquor were freely available to purchase for consumption in your cabin. Is this still the case?

We are going on the Legend of the Seas on 18th November and like the occasional tipple on the balcony or as a nightcap.

The printed policy is that on board purchases will be held till departure. On the Jewel of the Seas 2 years ago this policy was disregarded and bottles of liquor were freely available to purchase for consumption in your cabin. Is this still the case?

No, they did away with the policy allowing people to take their onboard liquor purchases back to their room for consumption. Sorry.

Wrona is correct, RCI stopped this in the summer of 2005. It was a pretty good deal (hence it's cancellation) whereby you could purchase alcohol in the ship's store on embarkation day - pay the $9.50 fee per bottle and take to your cabin. Too bad......

Thanks for the quick responses. This is a really busy and informative forum. In May and June 2005 when we were on the Jewel (in Europe) they were not charging anything extra to take liquor to the cabins and I believe a litre of Bacardi cost about $8.

I suppose I'll either put a bottle in the suitcase or have a dry cruise.

You can order drinks for your room via room service (not the full bottle, just a drink). You can also order a drink in a bar and take it back to the room.

RCCL's policy is also that you can't bring any liquor onboard the ship so be aware that if they find the bottle in your suitcase, they will confiscate it and return it to you at the end of the cruise.

I believe that there is also a mini-bar in our cabin.

If I don't take a bottle then we'll have a dry cruise as we're not that bothered about alcohol. We didn't have an alcoholic drink on the MSC Opera in May as their prices were ridiculous (about £4/$8 a pint for beer, £15/$30 for the cheapest bottle of wine).

If I don't take a bottle then we'll have a dry cruise as we're not that bothered about alcohol. We didn't have an alcoholic drink on the MSC Opera in May as their prices were ridiculous (about £4/$8 a pint for beer, £15/$30 for the cheapest bottle of wine).

Nope, no mini bars containing alcohol in RCI cabins. Bottles of alcohol of any type or kind are NOT ALLOWED in cabins. You, as a paying customer, cannot be trusted with bottles of alcohol...period.

We left from San Juan, and I stopped at the shop dock side and pucrchased some wine for the room, vodka and had no problem Nov. 2005 RCI

Nowadays on RCI the only way to have a bottle of alcohol in your cabin is to smuggle....there is no other option.

It is correct that the "mini-bar" in your room will have only candy, water and soda.

But the drink prices on RC are not as high as the ones you mentioned.

There is no liquor in the mini bars in the staterooms. But the per drink prices on RCCL are very cheap. Mixed drinks (like a whisky and coke for example) are abour $5.50 per drink. Beers are around $5. Can't beat those prices.

Are there any restrictions about bringing "regional" wines aboard? I thought I heard something about bringing wines aboard that were from regional areas (something you would not find in their cellar) and that being ok, maybe paying a "de-corking" fee?

Are there any restrictions about bringing "regional" wines aboard? I thought I heard something about bringing wines aboard that were from regional areas (something you would not find in their cellar) and that being ok, maybe paying a "de-corking" fee?

Their official policy says you aren't allowed to bring any wine onboard at all. I don't know if they have any exceptions.

We left from San Juan, and I stopped at the shop dock side and pucrchased some wine for the room, vodka and had no problem Nov. 2005 RCI

If you can wait a couple days, you might be able to bring a bottle onboard that you purchased in port. I bought a bottle of rum in St. Maartin in December and had to WAIT behind a couple people to "check" my liquor. I easily could have breezed right on by and headed up the stairs to my room w/ my bottle; there was no one making sure that people checked their liquor. Unless you're lugging a giant case of wine or several bottles on board, they won't even notice... especially if you're coming back on board an hour prior to sailing, when it's an absolute madhouse.

Good thing the rum was a gift for a friend back home, because after I realized that I willfully stood in line for several minutes to check one small bottle of liquor, I felt like an uptight rule follower. (I am generally a rule follower in everyday life anyway, but RC's liquor policy is too laughable to take seriously.)

If you can wait a couple days, you might be able to bring a bottle onboard that you purchased in port. I bought a bottle of rum in St. Maartin in December and had to WAIT behind a couple people to "check" my liquor. I easily could have breezed right on by and headed up the stairs to my room w/ my bottle; there was no one making sure that people checked their liquor. Unless you're lugging a giant case of wine or several bottles on board, they won't even notice... especially if you're coming back on board an hour prior to sailing, when it's an absolute madhouse.

Good thing the rum was a gift for a friend back home, because after I realized that I willfully stood in line for several minutes to check one small bottle of liquor, I felt like an uptight rule follower. (I am generally a rule follower in everyday life anyway, but RC's liquor policy is too laughable to take seriously.)

I have seen people wrap a bottle or 2 in towels or t-shirts and walk right on board!:p I guess there is a way around everything!

When we crusied Princess last year, they are very open about bringing alcohol aboard.

On one of my cruises (many years ago), our beach bags, shopping bags, etc were put through an x-ray machine when coming back on board from port. Do they do this on RCI? Doesn't sound like it if people are wrapping bottles in their towels and going straight through. We're going on Brilliance in January, so was just wondering. Thanks!

On one of my cruises (many years ago), our beach bags, shopping bags, etc were put through an x-ray machine when coming back on board from port. Do they do this on RCI? Doesn't sound like it if people are wrapping bottles in their towels and going straight through. We're going on Brilliance in January, so was just wondering. Thanks!

Everything goes through the scanners. However, depending on where they have the booze table located, they may or may not notice if you have booze. We have seen it both ways. We have been on cruises that we could easily have walked right by (and have) and into the elevators and no one would have noticed. Much depends on how busy they are and how close they are watching. totally changes by ship/day/staff/ etc as to whether they will make you give it up or not. Most of the time we are buying it specifically to bring home, so we let them go ahead and take it.

Thanks Karena1 for the reply. Guess we'll just wait & see. I'm not too worried about it as we'll be buying plenty of drinks in the bars. But I do love the Jamaican Rum Cream (can't remember the brand name) and it would be nice to sit on the balcony at night with a little of that. I just read about the evening shooters made with Baileys, so I'm really looking forward to those! :D

msdurk - we're going on the Jan 2 cruise so I'm afraid we'll miss ya. There are 5 couples going and we can't wait! Have never sailed on Brilliance, it's actually been quite awhile since we've cruised on RCI (maybe 10 years?), but they're probably our favorite line. We've been on Celebrity (loved their food!) and Carnival (didn't like) and I'm going on a girls cruise on the HAL Westerdam Oct. 28. Can't believe I'm doing 2 cruises in a 3 month timespan! :eek: But the girls triip was already planned when our friends talked us into the Brilliance cruise. It wasn't too hard to do, especially after seeing how beautiful she is and liking the itinerary. We've been mainly going to all-inclusive resorts every January for the last 10 years, with some other trips thrown in but I'm soooooo excited about this cruise. Hope you have fun on yours! Have you sailed on Brilliance before?

Archived