Paying onboard bill at the end of the cruise

jay44

On my last cruise, which was my first, I had to register a credit card with Princess, then at the end of the cruise received a bill charged to that credit card.

Can I pay my onboard bill with cash at the end of the cruise, even if they have my credit card details?

The exchange rate at the moment is so good sterling/dollar, that I have been buying my dollars throughout the year, and would rather pay my bill using that cash.

Thank you

Jay

On my last cruise, which was my first, I had to register a credit card with Princess, then at the end of the cruise received a bill charged to that credit card.

Can I pay my onboard bill with cash at the end of the cruise, even if they have my credit card details?

The exchange rate at the moment is so good sterling/dollar, that I have been buying my dollars throughout the year, and would rather pay my bill using that cash.

Thank you

Jay

Yes, you can pay it off the last day of the cruise in cash, however: if you actually have cash money (not a debit card etc) and pay in Pounds they still might get you for a conversion/exchange fee. I'd call Princess and ask to be sure. You also might want to pay it all off the day BEFORE your last day as the lines will be shorter and just leave the very last days charges on the card~just a suggestion.

If you actually have cash money (not a debit card etc) and pay in Pounds they still might get you for a conversion/exchange fee.

I've been buying dollars all year at the rate of two dollars to the pound, so I will be paying in dollars not pounds.

The day before also sounds like a good idea. :D

I've been buying dollars all year at the rate of two dollars to the pound, so I will be paying in dollars not pounds.

The day before also sounds like a good idea. :D

Good for you!

:( Probably several of those dollars were left behind by me and mine this summer after spending a whole month in Europe.......you can imagine:o

Don't suppose you'd want to return any of them????????:D

Jay we always do this. In fact you can go to the purser's desk at any time during the cruise, ask for a print out of your account and pay it off with your dollars, no probs

Have a wonderful time!

Sue

Thank you Sue

I can barely wait!

Jay :D

Probably several of those dollars were left behind by me and mine this summer after spending a whole month in Europe

Darn expensive living in Europe, isn't it!

Will Princess let you aboard without registering a credit card I wonder?

Darn expensive living in Europe, isn't it!

No I don't believe so. Once you board the vessel you may go right to the Pursers desk and change the account to a cash only account. They will ask you for a minimum deposit of $300 per person (even for children) to establish the account. I have done this on many cruises. I then occasionally ask for a rendering od the charges and add more money as needed. You cannot spend more than what is in the acct, so check it now and then so you don't get caught short at the spa or whatever.

No I don't believe so. Once you board the vessel you may go right to the Pursers desk and change the account to a cash only account. They will ask you for a minimum deposit of $300 per person (even for children) to establish the account. I have done this on many cruises. I then occasionally ask for a rendering od the charges and add more money as needed. You cannot spend more than what is in the acct, so check it now and then so you don't get caught short at the spa or whatever.

But I could register a credit card and then opt to pay it all off in cash at the end of the cruise?

Yes - from what I have read in other threads. We intend to pay either in dollars or in dollar travellers cheques. If you enter phillipahain in the Search facility on this board you should find threads which will give you grea information on the subject of paying shipbard accounts if you're from the UK.

Just to add, yes, Princess will let you onboard without registering a credit card. At check-in, tell them you will have a cash account. You must then go to the Purser's desk to activate your account (until then your card will just be a room key, no charging an umbrella drink on your way to the Purser's desk :)). Put your dollars down on account (much easier to let the Purser hang on to them rather than you having to watch over them). They will call you during the week to add to the account or register a credit card should you use them all up. And if you don't use all the money, they will issue a check to you the last night for the remainder. Which they will also cash for you at the Purser's desk.

Can you actually put down less than $300.00 pp at the purser's desk. On our last cruise I don't think we paid this much,in fact, I don't think I even took $600 with me. I also have obc's for $150.00 so can I deduct that amount and just give them $450.00. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to let them hold onto my money rather than put it in the safe and then have them charge my Visa at the end of the cruise.

Just to add, yes, Princess will let you onboard without registering a credit card. At check-in, tell them you will have a cash account. You must then go to the Purser's desk to activate your account (until then your card will just be a room key, no charging an umbrella drink on your way to the Purser's desk :)). Put your dollars down on account (much easier to let the Purser hang on to them rather than you having to watch over them). They will call you during the week to add to the account or register a credit card should you use them all up. And if you don't use all the money, they will issue a check to you the last night for the remainder. Which they will also cash for you at the Purser's desk.

Will the purser's desk also cash travellers cheques? If so, do they charge a fee for doing so? With our exchange rate pretty much at par, I still haven't decided if I should use cash/travellers cheques or credit card (but letting them post to card in US $ and just paying the cards conversion fee).

Thanks for your help!

Can you actually put down less than $300.00 pp at the purser's desk.
If you have a good explanation, it can be done. They pick the $300 pp because that is the average spending amount, and you don't want to have to go back every two days to add more money. PIA for everyone. Your spending rate onboard will dictate whether or not you are asked to plunk down more.

Will the purser's desk also cash travellers cheques? If so, do they charge a fee for doing so? Thanks for your help!
Yes, and yes. The fee is actually to convert to/from Canadian not for cashing a traveller check, so you would be better off to bring $US traveller checks and avoid that fee. And from what I read, the rate is not caught up with the market rates, so again, better to let your bank do the conversion than use Princess' rate of conversion.

You MUST register a credit card in order to print your e-docs. I tried without and it wouldn't let me.

No problem giving them cash on board. Whatever extra we have at the end, we put on our account rather than it going on the credit card.

Have a great trip!

:)

To make it easier, we do give our charge card number and then, without any problems, we pay up our bill with cash or travellers cheque towards the end of our cruise. That way you do not have to leave a deposit and if you go over the amount of cash on hand, you can leave the balance on your card.

You do not have to carry the cash with you as there is an ATM machine on board as well and you can withdraw as needed. I am always shocked when I check my account after a couple of days by how much I have spent (and drank :eek: ) that I check every few days and pay up the second to last day, leaving what I have accumulated that evening and on the last day on my card.

Happy Cruising All!!

HI

We was onboard the Emerald in July and we also paid in dollars as the rate was so good.

Got them at home in the UK and then on the last night paid the balance of the bill and then there was just about £30 spent on the last night which just went on the credit card.

No problems at all

Wouldnt want to pay it all on the last morning as there is long queues at the desk.

We just went when there was no one there nice quick and easy

Have a great time

Tina

When we boarded Princess they asked for our CC but we said we did not have one and the lady said that we used one for our cruise. We explained that yes, we did use one for our cruise, but now we want to use cash! Not a problem.

Put down $300. each at the desk.

Cashed US traveller's cheques, no problem, no fee.

We actually did have a CC card with us, but chose not to use it due to the exchange rate/fee problem as mentioned in alot of past threads.

Archived