Tips/Phone Card Question

rlkubi

I have seen a few people who buy phone cards for the tip instead of extra cash for the steward and waiters. Is this a good thing for them or would cash be better? I truly appreciate all their hard work so I want to give them whichever would be better for them.

Cash. I appreciate others that try to be considerate with gifts and treasures but only the one receiving will know for sure - kind of like buying your wife clothing for a present.

On this subject I like another post regarding this when a couple gave their waiters framed pictures of themselves. That one was priceless.

Phone cards you buy in the US don't work in most foreign ports, so they're basically useless. You have to buy cards in each individual port. Plus, the cruise line provides calling cards for their employees to purchase, at very good rates. So, plain old cash is best.

I have seen a few people who buy phone cards for the tip instead of extra cash for the steward and waiters. Is this a good thing for them or would cash be better? I truly appreciate all their hard work so I want to give them whichever would be better for them.

I would not waste my time looking for phone cards. Cash is easy to shop for. Plus....much more versatile. And....How do you know your steward / waiter has anyone they want to call.

I agree - cash. HOWEVER, one cruise I was on, the waitress mentioned a chocolate bar she really liked, so we bought one for her. Not a tip replacement, but an extra thanks. Doesn't take up cabin space and something we knew she would really like.

I agree - cash. HOWEVER, one cruise I was on, the waitress mentioned a chocolate bar she really liked, so we bought one for her. Not a tip replacement, but an extra thanks. Doesn't take up cabin space and something we knew she would really like.

This is very thoughtful. How did that come up in conversation? I would really like to do something like this for the ones who make our next trip special.

Archived