All things Monarch of the Seas

Just back from 3/10-3/14 sailing. Beautiful sunny, warm weather all week. Calm seas. Absolutely top notch crew again. Alvin and Julia in Vincent's dining room were by far the best servers we've ever had!!

Had to visit the naughty room due to our bags being identified as having smuggled alcohol. Had four cans of diet Coke and three Pyramid Hefeweisens and they held and subsequently searched all three of our cases. Friends' luggage was also sent down. All bags from all four of our cabins were held. I told them we were in a hotel for three days prior to the voyage and weren't willing to throw it all away before boarding. They said it was fine. We chuckled a bit about our visit to the naughty room.:D

FYI, they even held all liquor purchased on the last day which was Ensenada. People had to pick it up on the pier on debarkation morning. This is contrary to what my experience has been on previous cruises. Normally, the liquor has been returned to people while onboard the last evening. I thought it was a bit silly really but c'est la vie. Their ship, their rules.

I love this ship and itinerary. During the Platinum/Diamond party, JohnnyO said Monarch and Majesty will follow Sovereign in the next few years as there's only so much paint and carpet they can change while still having them fit the RCCL brand. I told him I will miss them and he said he will as well.

I'm thinking about writing a review. I'll see how that goes.:)

Yes, please write a review., we'd love to read it.

Would you by any chance have the menus and daily papers from the cruise. Hard to believe, but there are none posted for the 4 day monarch on any site:confused:

Just back from 3/10-3/14 sailing. Beautiful sunny, warm weather all week. Calm seas. Absolutely top notch crew again. Alvin and Julia in Vincent's dining room were by far the best servers we've ever had!!

Had to visit the naughty room due to our bags being identified as having smuggled alcohol. Had four cans of diet Coke and three Pyramid Hefeweisens and they held and subsequently searched all three of our cases. Friends' luggage was also sent down. All bags from all four of our cabins were held. I told them we were in a hotel for three days prior to the voyage and weren't willing to throw it all away before boarding. They said it was fine. We chuckled a bit about our visit to the naughty room.:D

FYI, they even held all liquor purchased on the last day which was Ensenada. People had to pick it up on the pier on debarkation morning. This is contrary to what my experience has been on previous cruises. Normally, the liquor has been returned to people while onboard the last evening. I thought it was a bit silly really but c'est la vie. Their ship, their rules.

I love this ship and itinerary. During the Platinum/Diamond party, JohnnyO said Monarch and Majesty will follow Sovereign in the next few years as there's only so much paint and carpet they can change while still having them fit the RCCL brand. I told him I will miss them and he said he will as well.

I'm thinking about writing a review. I'll see how that goes.:)

I am sure that this is a "Spring Break Thing". ;)

I have them. They're coupled with the 3 day compass pages cause I did a back to back cruise ... but yeah they're in my webshots album. Follow the picture link. Look for Monarch from May 2007 :)

Thanks so much - I now have them on my favourites so I can plan for this May:D

so glad I found this thread.

I love reading all your comments on the Monarch. It's making me very excited to be cruising on this well-loved ship.

I think;) our Nov 10 '08 cruise is the first one out of Pt Canaveral.

I'm excited to be going on my 4th voyage on the beautiful Monarch! I just love this trip...it's like having family on the high seas! Even when we walk into the cruise terminal...."Oh, the sister's are back!" It's fantastic! I'm so sad that she's leaving the west coast!

So, is JohnnyO the current CD? Have never sailed with him.

Wow sucks to be a Monarch cruiser who is flying ... you have to repack your suitcase in the airport! :eek:

I agree with Carol, it HAD to be a spring break thing.

That's what I thought too! Luckily it didn't apply to us but I did mention it to the rather militant security guard that was sending people to the table, that it would be really inconvenient for people flying and he said, "too bad, don't buy booze on shore next time." No lie.

Surprisingly, there weren't many spring breakers on board last week but I do agree that the time of year likely causes the shift in alcohol policies. In Florida it always seems to be crazy at this time of year. Also, they said there were about 300 under 18s on board, four of which were travelling with us, but we barely saw any. Our kids met very few teens their age (15-17) but still had a fabulous time.

That's what I thought too! Luckily it didn't apply to us but I did mention it to the rather militant security guard that was sending people to the table, that it would be really inconvenient for people flying and he said, "too bad, don't buy booze on shore next time." No lie.

Sounds like that guy needs a cruise. What a jerk. :rolleyes:

... and Johnny O is no Puff Daddy anymore!

Did he loose a bunch of weight? We cruised last April and he was still "Fluff Daddy", we will be cruising with him again on April 7th, can't wait he is a lot of fun!

Yes, he lost a bunch of weight. As soon as I saw him, I just said WOW! After his concert Sunday night, we stopped by to say hello and I complimented him and very excited, he proudly told us he went from a 64" waist to a 34"!!! He looks fantastic and seems to have so much more energy. He joked that his Fluff Daddy pins aren't accurate any more.

We can't wait to see him again next month!

Yes, he lost a bunch of weight. As soon as I saw him, I just said WOW! After his concert Sunday night, we stopped by to say hello and I complimented him and very excited, he proudly told us he went from a 64" waist to a 34"!!! He looks fantastic and seems to have so much more energy. He joked that his Fluff Daddy pins aren't accurate any more.

We can't wait to see him again next month!

He said he doesn't even hand out the pins anymore. :p

My wife and I are booked into a JS for our cruise in July. Do we get special boarding preference also. The reason that I ask is that I saw in someone's pics a sign that said something like "suite guests, Diamond/Plat waiting area.

Yes you get first boarding. Doors open to unload your bags at 930..... you can start checking in at 1030.... they start boarding at noon. Once youve checked in you head over to the waiting area to board.... Diamond/Plat/Suites passengers go into a room with tv's/chairs/etc. and wait. When the ship is ready to board, they go first.... followed by group 1, group 2, etc.

We hope to take one more trip on the Monarch before she leaves.

Our trip in December was just as fun as ever.

I even convinced the maid to stay up late and pose for me:

large.jpg

The rest of the photos are here: http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/ensenada07&page=all

Dave

Awesome pictures... those are right up my alley. I get to go on the Monarch for the first time for Cinco de Mayo. It should be fun! This will be the shortest cruise on the smallest boat I have been on, but I am super excited... and we even have a suite like you had:D

So glad to have found this thread and will read through it all (when I have time!) We are sailing on Monarch next April (09) when she is out of Port Canaveral. It will be our 1st cruise and celebrating our 15th anniv. I was beginning to think maybe we picked the wrong ship (some reviews of the bigger ships seem so great!) but now I am feeling really good again about the Monarch. Any guidance all you vets can give to a new comer (and any Monarch secret must do's) would be greatly appreciated!

I've browsed through many different threads before deciding to ask the "experts" ... does Monarch have stabilizers or not? Some people on other threads say yes and some have said no...just wondering :)

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. When I was on a few weeks ago is was quite a bit rockier than I am used to.

So glad to have found this thread and will read through it all (when I have time!) We are sailing on Monarch next April (09) when she is out of Port Canaveral. It will be our 1st cruise and celebrating our 15th anniv. I was beginning to think maybe we picked the wrong ship (some reviews of the bigger ships seem so great!) but now I am feeling really good again about the Monarch. Any guidance all you vets can give to a new comer (and any Monarch secret must do's) would be greatly appreciated!

newbie, you DO know that the Grandeur sails out of Baltimore and Norfolk during the warm months, don't you?

newbie, you DO know that the Grandeur sails out of Baltimore and Norfolk during the warm months, don't you?

Yeah I saw that but we need to go before May. My mom & dad are watching the kids and mom proctors law school exams which start in early May. We also wanted to do the Caribbean. Have thought about taking the kids and going out of Balt or Norfolk to do a New England trip maybe in 2010 (if we--ok hubby-end up liking cruising) .

Archived