All things Monarch of the Seas

Since this is our first RCCL cruise, I doubt we have priority boarding...so what time should we get there in order to have the least amount of wait time?

You should be fine if you arrive at one...that's also when the cabins are ready so you can go drop of your stuff and change if you like.:)

We are looking at the Monarch 4-day Bahamas cruise from Port Canaveral in May 2009. This will be our second cruise, the first was a 7 day aboard the Carnival Glory.

I am curious to hear any pointers, tips, etc from past guests of this ship. We are going to book an ocean view room - where would be the best deck to book?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Check the pricing on your specific cruise, but usually Category I is the secret bargain of oceanview cabins.

Thanks for the info Jean. If you wouldn't mind, when you return from your B2B I'd love to hear how it worked out for you.

And thanks for your mention of clean clothes. I was going to pack enough stuff for both cruises, but instead I think I'll have hubby bring me a couple of extra things when he joins me.:)

Happy cruising!

It was no problem at all. We went to Guest Services on Sunday and asked if they were showing us as back to backers. The GSM, Tonya, said that she hadn't seen the list yet, but would call and let us know. She did not.:mad:

But in the Windjammer last night, as we were saying goodbye to Maru, one of the managers and telling him we'd see him again, he said, "I know, I saw your names on the list."

But we just disembarked at our leisure, went home for clothes and such and then re-embarked around 1:30. Because we were staying in the RS for the 4-nighter (talk about spoiled for life!) we had VIP embarkation, which meant we got to cut in front of everybody all the way up to having our Seapass pictures taken.:p Whatever other B2Bers most likely re-boarded first, but I can't confirm that.

Here's a reason you don't want to have your reservations linked: if they are, any alcohol you purchase will be held until the end of your second cruise. If not...

We have booked a Junior Suite on Deck 10. Can anyone tell us what these cabins are like?

I have a few photos in the link in my signature, too. The JS cabins are more like a D-1 on a larger ship at about 175 sf instead of the 290 or so that one sees on, say a Radiance class ship. They are small but serviceable.:)

Category "I" is Deck 8 Oceanview. How "obstructed" is the view though?

It only saved me $80 total over Deck 5.

Deck 8 is the lifeboat deck, so your view could be either completely obstructed or hardly at all.

Look here: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2228772470046215528AbSjDk

The cabins with dots are located at the "points" of the lifeboats and therefore have pretty decent views.

If you look at critterchicks cruises on the Monarch...........and I don't know if she has more cruises than Carmen.............but I must say that anything that you hear from either one of them regarding the Monarch.........take to be Gospel truths!!

They know more secret passageways than the crew!! :D

When you dine with the captain three times on a four night cruise, and have his private extension...............you are indeed a VIP!!;)

I'm going to miss the Monarch..........and we still have one more time to sail on her, not only to say goodbye, but to introduce our grandchildren to cruising, coming up on Monday!!

My DW and I will miss critterchick and a number of other friends that we have made while cruising on the Monarch. It's not so much missing our friends...............it's missing our friends on the Monarch!!

She has become an icon on the west coast and will be missed by many more than are willing to post here.

But........to me, the Queen of the Monarch.........shall remain critterchick, as a friend and one that I will always think of..........when I hear the words........the Monarch of the Seas!! :)

Here is to you...........Jean!!

Rick

Rick, you are so right about the Monarch! We will certainly miss her when she leaves.

Have a fabulous, wonderful cruise with your grandkids! Please say hello for me to Captain Rick. :) A true Master of the seas!

For those of you booking cabins on the East Coast for the Monarch, just remember that you're booking a 3 or 4 night cruise which is very short. You certainly won't spend much time in your cabin. The SO is really the best bargain, or the I category cabin on Deck 8. I would personally NOT want to be on the hallway close to the Circuit, since the last night can become very noisy after QUEST!

Rick, you are so right about the Monarch! We will certainly miss her when she leaves.

Have a fabulous, wonderful cruise with your grandkids! Please say hello for me to Captain Rick. :) A true Master of the seas!

For those of you booking cabins on the East Coast for the Monarch, just remember that you're booking a 3 or 4 night cruise which is very short. You certainly won't spend much time in your cabin. The SO is really the best bargain, or the I category cabin on Deck 8. I would personally NOT want to be on the hallway close to the Circuit, since the last night can become very noisy after QUEST!

Oops! Sorry!:o :p ;) Won silver this time!

The Monarch should be pulling into Ensenada shortly, with another live group of fun loving weekend guests!!

We know when they get back..........we get to get aboard for our 4 day cruise with our grandchildren, and to say goodbye to the Monarch.......as least on the West Coast!!

Many of us west coasters feel the same way.........something that we have enjoyed here.........as so many in Florida and surrounding states have enjoyed the Sovereign for short get aways......is now being taken away.

There is no plans in RCCL's future to bring back a 4/3 night sailing. I think that it will also become a thing of the past. When the Mariner arrives.........it will be a totally different feel than what we have had with the Monarch. We shall see how well the Mariner does.......and will even try her once. But, as old as the Monarch is.........compared to the rest of the fleet......she is in excellent condition........and will always have a spot in my heart!

Rick

We booked our first 3-day on Monarch (when she arrives at PC) - looking forward to experiencing what everyone here has been talking about!

On the Voyager class ships, we always look forward to an early morning walk, followed by a stop at the Promenade Cafe for caffeine to go. Is Latte-tudes the place to find that cup of coffee on Monarch? Is it Seattle's Best and do they charge for regular coffee?

Sorry that so many of you are having to saying goodbye to an old friend - we just did that in January. But thanks for taking such good care of Monarch - and enjoy our old friend Mariner - I'm sure she'll become a new friend to many West Coasters!

We booked our first 3-day on Monarch (when she arrives at PC) - looking forward to experiencing what everyone here has been talking about!

On the Voyager class ships, we always look forward to an early morning walk, followed by a stop at the Promenade Cafe for caffeine to go. Is Latte-tudes the place to find that cup of coffee on Monarch? Is it Seattle's Best and do they charge for regular coffee?

Sorry that so many of you are having to saying goodbye to an old friend - we just did that in January. But thanks for taking such good care of Monarch - and enjoy our old friend Mariner - I'm sure she'll become a new friend to many West Coasters!

Yes, there is a charge for regular coffee there, which is why we got it from the Windjammer!:rolleyes:

Lattetudes is on Deck 5, next to Ben & Jerry's, and the other shops on board. No Promenade Cafe ... as there is no Promenade (well, one that's inside the ship, as opposed to the one that circles the outside of the ship on Deck 7). Yes, Seattle's Best. There is no "regular coffee" in Lattetudes ... they'll pour you an "Americano" (which, as far as I can tell is just a regular coffee w/ a shot of espresso) and charge you. Fortunately, there is a coupon, if you are a C&A Member. However, there is only ONE coupon.

My friend, Ally, says that the very best coffee on the ship is from Room Service. They have their own coffee machine and, she swears, that it's FANTASTIC! I'm planning on trying it, in October.

Enjoy our special ship!

My friend, Ally, says that the very best coffee on the ship is from Room Service. They have their own coffee machine and, she swears, that it's FANTASTIC! I'm planning on trying it, in October.

I agree with her as to the free coffee - the coffee in the WJ is just drinkable and the stuff in the dining room is horrid. Or maybe it was the other way around, LOL. But the stuff from room service is very good. If you're a cream snob be sure to order some whole milk as Monarch finally gave up serving the little half and half containers this year - I think she was the last holdout.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I agree, the room service coffee is the perfect way to start the day. We have it delivered every morning along with other things for breakfast in our stateroom. We always order extra cream. The room service is always on time as requested.

Ditto on the room service coffee. On our recent Monarch trip, had room service delivered coffee each morning while we woke up and got ready for the day. Only drank WJ coffee the first morning - luke warm and disgusting. The rest of the trip, we would stop by Lattetudes on deck 5 for specialty coffees (used our C&A coupons) which we would take with us to breakfast in the WJ.

Like everyone else on this thread, sad to see the Monarch 3 & 4 night cruises leaving SP. Wished we would have taken more trips on her. Hopefully RCI will give serious consideration to bringing another ship to SP for these sailings.

I'm very excited to go to my very first cruise aboard Monarch of the Sea this week-end. But up to now my bf and I still haven't planned what to do in Ensenada. Does anyone have a suggestion? I'm in my mid 20's & my bf is early 30's.

Where thinking about the Rosarito beach party, but I dont know if we could book it on the day of the cruise.

Thank a lot!

I'm very excited to go to my very first cruise aboard Monarch of the Sea this week-end. But up to now my bf and I still haven't planned what to do in Ensenada. Does anyone have a suggestion? I'm in my mid 20's & my bf is early 30's.

Where thinking about the Rosarito beach party, but I dont know if we could book it on the day of the cruise.

Thank a lot!

I think most of the people on board just go into Ensenada (or don't leave the ship at all). I'm sure you'll have no problem booking the beach party when you board the ship. Look to see when the ShoreEx desk opens (on Deck 4, across from Guest Relations ... as you board the ship) and put in your request (or, you can fill out the form and leave it ... but I like to make SURE someone gets the request, so I prefer to hand it to them).

Have fun!!! ~ L

This is also posted on the main rccl board section.

back home from MOS laundry going, hubby sleeping, we drove back home, so before I forget. Getting on the ship was a breeze if I did not do a few blunders along the way. When we first enter the terminal requested our sail and sign paper work which I did not have with me, oops, this was not a problem we were directed to a counter the agent looked up my information which I did on my home computer earlier just waited until the night before we left to print it and the info was not available for printing. The web site clearly states to print it out at least three days before sailing, that was my error. Then when going through security, some how a bottle of Baileys and cream found it way into my carry on bag. Which caused check of my carry on bag. Items removed was the Baileys and Cream, surge protector ( I use this for extra outlets) and a travel clothes steamer for our clothes. The clothes steamer and the surge protector where kept at security until we came back. bottle of Liquor was kept on ship. DH said I would not live this one down. I was allowed to bring a small fan and electrical curlers

When I went to pick up the items keep at security table, Items held back was many bottles of liquor, I guess those were in the check through luggage, several irons from travel to full size, surge protector, even a portable plug in CD, clock, radio player about the size of a shoe box.

After this we made it on ship. On the Monarch all the corridors to the cabin are closed by a door at each entrance until all the cabins are ready.

We had all our meals in the windjammer. Food was OK, selection of food offer was scale down from previous sailings. At night they did have table cloths and silverware on the tables. Formal night in the WJ there was not any special selections. For Breakfast and lunch if the WJ seems to crowded or noisy for you then go forward to Jade restaurant site which is adjoining to the WJ and it less crowded and food buffet style is also offer with less if any line.

Sunday we were by San Diego seemed to be drifting, until rain was in the air, then the ship moved to another location.

Monday we could of gotten off the ship at 6:30 am, except for one small item. I still needed to pack. Which did not take to long. Getting off the ship seem to take forever. Express check off is getting into a LONG winding line. Then getting through customs was another matter all by itself. Custom did not come on ship to check passports. When we got off the ship and waited in another line on the pier to go into a room that had isle with booths where custom checks pass ports and your decoration form. Some of their computers were having problems that made the wait a little longer. Then once it OK you take the custom paper downstairs then give it to the custom guard as you are about to leave the area.

All in all it was a relaxing weekend.

This is also posted on the main rccl board section.

back home from MOS laundry going, hubby sleeping, we drove back home, so before I forget. Getting on the ship was a breeze if I did not do a few blunders along the way. When we first enter the terminal requested our sail and sign paper work which I did not have with me, oops, this was not a problem we were directed to a counter the agent looked up my information which I did on my home computer earlier just waited until the night before we left to print it and the info was not available for printing. The web site clearly states to print it out at least three days before sailing, that was my error. Then when going through security, some how a bottle of Baileys and cream found it way into my carry on bag. Which caused check of my carry on bag. Items removed was the Baileys and Cream, surge protector ( I use this for extra outlets) and a travel clothes steamer for our clothes. The clothes steamer and the surge protector where kept at security until we came back. bottle of Liquor was kept on ship. DH said I would not live this one down. I was allowed to bring a small fan and electrical curlers

When I went to pick up the items keep at security table, Items held back was many bottles of liquor, I guess those were in the check through luggage, several irons from travel to full size, surge protector, even a portable plug in CD, clock, radio player about the size of a shoe box.

After this we made it on ship. On the Monarch all the corridors to the cabin are closed by a door at each entrance until all the cabins are ready.

We had all our meals in the windjammer. Food was OK, selection of food offer was scale down from previous sailings. At night they did have table cloths and silverware on the tables. Formal night in the WJ there was not any special selections. For Breakfast and lunch if the WJ seems to crowded or noisy for you then go forward to Jade restaurant site which is adjoining to the WJ and it less crowded and food buffet style is also offer with less if any line.

Sunday we were by San Diego seemed to be drifting, until rain was in the air, then the ship moved to another location.

Monday we could of gotten off the ship at 6:30 am, except for one small item. I still needed to pack. Which did not take to long. Getting off the ship seem to take forever. Express check off is getting into a LONG winding line. Then getting through customs was another matter all by itself. Custom did not come on ship to check passports. When we got off the ship and waited in another line on the pier to go into a room that had isle with booths where custom checks pass ports and your decoration form. Some of their computers were having problems that made the wait a little longer. Then once it OK you take the custom paper downstairs then give it to the custom guard as you are about to leave the area.

All in all it was a relaxing weekend.

I have a quick question and I hope you will not mind answering it. Why were you not allowed to bring the surge protector on board? I am planning on taking my laptop next month and I ALWAYS plug it into a surge protector.

I have a quick question and I hope you will not mind answering it. Why were you not allowed to bring the surge protector on board? I am planning on taking my laptop next month and I ALWAYS plug it into a surge protector.

That's odd ... I always have mine w/ me! :confused:

You should be fine if you arrive at one...that's also when the cabins are ready so you can go drop of your stuff and change if you like.:)

I disagree with arriving at 1:00 pm if you do not have priority boarding. You will be standing in a long line to check in at 1:00 pm. Check in begins at 10:30 am. I would recommend arriving no later than 11:30, as you will get checked in faster, and most likely having a boarding number of one which is next after priority. You also will be able to sit down in the waiting area, instead of standing in a line. It's also easier to find seating in the Windjammer earlier. JMHO:rolleyes:

Coffee..... I also like the dining room coffee, and they have a little station set up right inside the door in the am's that you can get fresh coffee in a "to go" cup.

I think most of the people on board just go into Ensenada (or don't leave the ship at all). I'm sure you'll have no problem booking the beach party when you board the ship. Look to see when the ShoreEx desk opens (on Deck 4, across from Guest Relations ... as you board the ship) and put in your request (or, you can fill out the form and leave it ... but I like to make SURE someone gets the request, so I prefer to hand it to them).

Have fun!!! ~ L

Thanks for the information.

Does anyone know how much spa services is on Monarch?

Thanks!

Archived