All things Monarch of the Seas

As of the last time I was on MN(4/27 cruise),you had to sign up onboard and you do have to pick what time(which sorta defeats the purpose).after dinner each night,you tell them what time for the next night........

As of the last time I was on MN(4/27 cruise),you had to sign up onboard and you do have to pick what time(which sorta defeats the purpose).after dinner each night,you tell them what time for the next night........

Did you sign up for it? If so, did you enjoy it? I am thinking 6 is just a bit early and would prefer to go 6:30-7. I hate that you have to sign up the night before, I guess it is better than nothing though, right?

Did you sign up for it? If so, did you enjoy it? I am thinking 6 is just a bit early and would prefer to go 6:30-7. I hate that you have to sign up the night before, I guess it is better than nothing though, right?

We were also on the 4/27 sailing (Hi Kathy!) and tried to sign up for MTD beforehand. Were told we had to sign up on the ship. We prepaid our gratuities before we sailed (one less thing to worry about) and figured we'd sign up once on board. When we checked in, out Sea Passes already had the MTD stickers on them. Figured we'd go to the desk once it opened and make sure we were all set. Well we were in our cabin about 1:10 and we got a phone call from the MTD desk asking what time we wanted to dine that evening. Seemed we were signed up.

Also, we usually told them after dinner what time we wanted to eat the next night but we forgot on Weds night (too much sun & fun in Nassau!). We just called Thurs during the day and let them know what time we wanted to dine.

No problems. Also seemed that some folks were just walking up to be seated and from what I saw they did not have to wait long (if at all)

Loved the MTD option. Would definately do it again!

Thanks for the info on MTD. We had a cruise booked for April and had to cancel and now we have 2 booked for late summer. I really want to try this.

I have done so much reading and keeping up with this thread that I know I will forget half of the stuff and right before cruising I will be right back on here tryig to remember everything. :D

Hi Maggie:)

One night we didnt eat in the dining room..........when we went to tell them the next day what time we wanted that night,they had already put us down for 7:30 again..........

• 4 weeks later...

Hey does anyone know if the spa has anytime where they allow young adults under the age of 18 to visit? I know sometimes they offer this as a teen package but not sure if the Monarch does. I would love to do something with my not quite 18 year old DD.

Hey does anyone know if the spa has anytime where they allow young adults under the age of 18 to visit? I know sometimes they offer this as a teen package but not sure if the Monarch does. I would love to do something with my not quite 18 year old DD.

Spa Services

Q: What are the age restrictions for Spa Services?

A: You must be 18 years of age to book a spa treatment. For those guests between the ages of 13 - 17, we have a special YSPA menu for teens, or you may ask the Spa Manager about other treatment options for younger guests.

This doesn't say that only some ships have this, so you should be ok.

I *think* that the bottom age in the spa is 16, not 18. You should be able to have a wonderful time with your sister. :)

It would kill my DD if someone thought we were sisters. It already ticks her off when we go to the mall and I get more looks then she does. lol I never notice when someone is looking. Been married to long to worry or even think about that. lol

Spa Services

Q: What are the age restrictions for Spa Services?

A: You must be 18 years of age to book a spa treatment. For those guests between the ages of 13 - 17, we have a special YSPA menu for teens, or you may ask the Spa Manager about other treatment options for younger guests.

This doesn't say that only some ships have this, so you should be ok.

Thanks. I never have good luck when I search their site. I think I will go and talk with the manager and see if we could possibly get some type of treatment together. The worst they can say is no.

It would kill my DD if someone thought we were sisters. It already ticks her off when we go to the mall and I get more looks then she does. lol I never notice when someone is looking. Been married to long to worry or even think about that. lol

Oops. I misread your post!

But have a great time treating your DAUGHTER.

Here's my questions:

1. Can we change into jeans after dinner on formal night?

2. Since there is no sea day; when do they do the shopping talk and the excursion talk? Are these both done on embarkation day?

Thanks cruise critics!

Yes,you can change into jeans after formal dinner....in fact, that night is also the Caribbean Pool deck party which starts around 11pm.......not many stay in formal clothes for that......

Offhand,cant tell you when the shopping talk is since I never go............and Im pretty sure there isnt an excursion talk............research that yourself ahead of time.........too late for you to book anything online,but as soon as you get onboard,you might want to sign up for what you want........the excursion desk will be to your right as soon as you board..

• 2 weeks later...

We will be sailing in two weeks on Monarch (4 night Bahamas) and I have a few questions (I read the whole thread and hope I remember most of the tips - thanks)

1. We are booked in a front cabin on the third deck #3012 (porthole cabin). I am prone to be motion sick on long car rides and wondering if I need to be concerned about being that close to the front of the ship. I have already gotten a prescription from my doctor for the patches.

2. My husband hates to dress up. We are from a small Georgia town and funerals and church here usually just require khakis and a nice polo shirt so he doesn't even own a shirt or tie. Can he get by with that in the dinning room on formal night or do I need to go out and buy a shirt & tie. I would rather have that money to spend.

3. I have heard a lot about the shower curtains being a bit too "friendly". Can anyone tell me if we will have a shower curtain or door in our cabin?

That's all I can think of for now, you guys covered most everything else already in this thread. It is great!!!!!

We will be sailing in two weeks on Monarch (4 night Bahamas) and I have a few questions (I read the whole thread and hope I remember most of the tips - thanks)

1. We are booked in a front cabin on the third deck #3012 (porthole cabin). I am prone to be motion sick on long car rides and wondering if I need to be concerned about being that close to the front of the ship. I have already gotten a prescription from my doctor for the patches.

2. My husband hates to dress up. We are from a small Georgia town and funerals and church here usually just require khakis and a nice polo shirt so he doesn't even own a shirt or tie. Can he get by with that in the dinning room on formal night or do I need to go out and buy a shirt & tie. I would rather have that money to spend.

3. I have heard a lot about the shower curtains being a bit too "friendly". Can anyone tell me if we will have a shower curtain or door in our cabin?

That's all I can think of for now, you guys covered most everything else already in this thread. It is great!!!!!

If you haven't sailed before, by all means use your patches. One of our table mates got a little sea sick last week on our 4-Day on the Monarch and wished he had a patch.

You don't need to buy any additional clothes for your husband. If what he has is acceptable at weddings then he is good to go.

You will have a shower curtain but no need to worry it won't bite.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. We really enjoyed the entire experience last week!

Thanks Scotty!! I feel better about him not wearing a tie now. I could just imagine him pulling at it all through dinner and not enjoying himself.

Anyway, upon reading a few more threads this morning I have a few more questions:

Bingo - what are the expenses here? how much do you pay for a card? I saw where someone had a coupon for $15 in extra tickets and was wondering just how many tickets that would actually get? 1? (please no:() 2? (would be better:confused:) 3+? (I might can handle that;)) I think the Bingo games would be fun!

Cocoa Cay - Is it correct that it cost $15 per person to play at the "water park" for an hour? or is that for all day?

1. The aft (back) of the ship is better than being in the forward section for sea sickness. Better yet is low and in the center. Which will be the seesaw effect. You would be in the middle at the lower point and you would not have as much rocking. Use the patches. You can also take Ginger Root.

2. You can dress the way you descripted. Of course you will have the die hards that get upset when others do not dress formal. Plus he might feel a bit out of place. You can always go to the Buffet for dinner. It is more elegant at nights.

3. Do not know how to answer number 3 since I have not been on the Monarch but most ships have a curtain. The shower is small so you do not have a lot of room making the curtain a bit too close at times.

Thanks Scotty!! I feel better about him not wearing a tie now. I could just imagine him pulling at it all through dinner and not enjoying himself.

Anyway, upon reading a few more threads this morning I have a few more questions:

Bingo - what are the expenses here? how much do you pay for a card? I saw where someone had a coupon for $15 in extra tickets and was wondering just how many tickets that would actually get? 1? (please no:() 2? (would be better:confused:) 3+? (I might can handle that;)) I think the Bingo games would be fun!

Cocoa Cay - Is it correct that it cost $15 per person to play at the "water park" for an hour? or is that for all day?

The water park is 15.00 for an hour and the slide is 20.00 for all day but the beach is free. I will get the link to my pictures so you can check out Coco Cay. We are from Valdosta Ga. happy cruising. I just looked but did not see the water park so I will up load some pics. of it to web shots

http://travel.webshots.com/album/572767159LyYONj

I have three cabins booked on deck 8 for the Aug 24 sialing. I am taking my wife, two daughters and their four children (7, 7, 6, & 4). I have never sailed Monarch, but had sailed Soverign 5 times. I think this will be a great cruise to break in the grand children. My daughters have cruised with me before.

I here MOS has a really great childrens program. Is that true?

My best friend and I are considering booking the Monarch for a girls getaway cruise. We were looking at late August when schools are back in session and hopefully hurricane season hasn't gotten into full swing yet! I checked the rates today on the RCI website and they are much higher than I expected (especially considering what some have posted here about their pricing). Hopefully there will be some discounts as we get closer to the sailing date? It looks like plenty of cabins are still available. For those of you who paid $200PP or less for a 4-day sailing, how far out did you book your cruise?

right now 4 nighter departing Aug 24 or 31 is $199 inside, $249 outside!

And if you're a C&A member, there's a coupon for $75 off an oceanview cabin or $35 off an interior cabin for the 8/31 sailing. I just booked it today! This will be my first time on the Monarch (I've sailed Mariner, Voyager and Sovereign before). Really looking forward to it!

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to be on the Monarch for the Aug 3rd cruise. Not my first cruise (went on a Carnival many years ago when i was little and was on the Soverign a few years ago) but this is the first for my boyfriend. I have found out so much info from you guys! Thanks so much! I'm even more excited now for my trip..these 28 days won't go by fast enough. Is anyone else here going on the same trip?

Archived