Buying medicine in Canada and cruising back to US port

I don't know where else to post this and I've googled and can't find any definite info. Is it ok to purchase a single bottle of Tylenol with Codeine in Canada while in port and then return on ship to US. Is this illegal or will it cause any problems in customs? I do not want that! I know the US "frowns" on it, but I don't exactly trust the FDA either. Just tell me whether it will present any legal problems please...I certainly don't want to do that.

Is acetaminophen with codeine illegal in the United States?

They are prescription only in the US.

Here in western Canada, products with codeine are not on the shelf - you have to ask the pharmacist for them.

In Canada, analgesics with 7mg of codeine and 25mg of caffeine are sold "under the counter". Which means that you don't need a prescription but you must also know about them to ask the pharmacist for them.

In Quebec the pharmacists actually have another level and that is medication that is under control and behind the counter. You do not need a prescription, but you must ask the pharmacist for them, but they are allowed to be on display. Such products include medication that could be abused if taken wrong, like Solarcaine or Gravol. I was actually surprised when I was in BC to see that some Gravol was actually on the shelves, since it you must ask a pharmacist for it, in Quebec.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived