QE2 - A personal tribute?

Cruachan

For some time now we’ve all been using the threads on this board to post limericks, haikus, parodies of popular (and in some cases not so popular) songs, and some lengthier original pieces such as the biography of Petty Officer Lacker and his wonderful invention, and the incomparable Murrrrr Durrrrr saga. In large part, this material has been, humourous which is no less than could be expected from such a clever and witty bunch of people. For some reason over the weekend, though, I was overtaken by a mood of sentimentality brought on by trying to catch up on a lot of the original posts on the QE2 40th Anniversary thread. As well as turning me irrational with jealousy that I hadn’t been there myself, they also made me realise just what a short time remains to us in which to enjoy the ship herself. I therefore thought I would turn my hand to producing something of a more serious nature by way of paying my own personal tribute to the ship and her history.

The resulting piece of doggerel consists of eight verses that I hope, in some small way, represent the life of the ship from her conception and building on Clydeside, through her time as a transatlantic liner, her period of service during the Falklands conflict, and her later career as a cruise ship. The final verse is, if you will, a “flash forward” to her final passing – her passing, at least from the business for which she was intended. It is meant to be sung but sadly, I have neither the singing voice nor the technical ability to produce a voiced rendition of this. It is set to the melody of the old Irish folk song “The Spinning Wheel”. This is a tune that has haunted me since childhood and which, when paired with the original words, is one of those strange paradoxes more common in the Irish tradition than in the Scottish, in which humourous words are paired with a sentimental melody. The original song is a description of a young girl’s complex deception by which she attempts to escape from the chaperone-ship of her grandmother for a night of “fun” with her boyfriend.

For those of you using Netscape Navigator or Firefox it is entirely possible that the embedded midi file will not work so you may not hear the tune. If this does happen I have included a link at the bottom of this post where you will find a foreshortened version of the midi sequence that may work. I’m also very much aware from my “market research” on this side of the Atlantic that the tune is not to everyone’s taste, so if you find it unbearably tacky, hit the mute button or turn down the volume. To avoid problems if the thread is pulled I’ve placed the whole thing on an external site so here is the url:

http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~jc32/

Apart from the caveats above regarding Netscape and Firefox, the music should, if you’re using Internet Explorer, start automatically when the page opens. Note that the tune has a four bar intro, so let that finish before you try to follow the words.

I will of course be interested to hear your reactions. I hinted at market research above. My one-person sample on the western side of the Atlantic produced a very enthusiastic response. Reactions (n = 3) on the eastern side of the “pond” have been universally disparaging – the kindest so far can be summed up as “pretentious claptrap!”

Anyway, I’m place myself, with some trepidation, your hands. Happyscot – your reaction is taken as read, no need to respond!!

For those who can’t get the music on the site, you’ll find a short midi sequence on this page. Click the “melody” link in the top left corner of the page:

http://ingeb.org/songs/mellowth.html

Jimmy my friend...you have written perhaps the most incredible tribute to any ship of any time I've ever read. Certainly it has been fed by your own personal relationship with the lovely QE2 and you wear your love for her proudly on your sleeve for all to see as we say over here. You have truly captured her remarkable life in a most unique fashion.

Poignant, captivating, haunting, mesmerizing...pairing your words with that tune, which to those of us on the other side of the pond might not be familiar, is sheer genius. Haunting....yes, no doubt, the words and the melody will haunt all of us to one degree or another. Is it possible to read completely through that last paragraph and not feel unabashed tears slipping down one's face? Certainly not I....since my first reading of it, the tears just flow as I read that and think of her graceful presence leaving us all.

Thank you for sharing wth us seems trite to say...this is homage of the first order and may I be the first to say that Cunard should be shown this?

Well done my friend...well done!!! You should be very proud.

Many thanks...Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Gosh!!! a lovely thoughtful verse, superb music and when you get into the way of it, really quite moving, maybe even a bit haunting,

The last line really says it all!!! strange how a few words can reduce a man to tears:eek:

Can l just add Im onboard next week for my cruises, normally such things get me in a state of real excitement and the thought of seeing QE2 safely berthed in Southampton is such a wonderful view and a joy to behold.

Somehow it wont be the same when l see her next Friday

As for this time next year on the farewell UK cruise & crossings, l wonder if we all realise what we are getting into:(

Of course reading further down your post, claptrap it is not:mad: , l should know l speak it plenty on here.;)

Its a fitting tribute to what is for most of us a very special ship.

Myles

Somehow it wont be the same when l see her next Friday

Myles,

you've just made me aware of something I hadn't thought of. I'm now not sure myself how I'll feel when I travel on her again next June. I think it was going to be an emotional experience anyway, but I know that I'll have that tune running through my head the whole time.

Jimmy

Again?

Jimmy

Sorry, I didn't mean you had made me cry already, merely that a lot of the 40th anniversary stuff had me in tears at various stages last week. At the moment I am spending a surprising amount of time misty-eyed over a ship. Goodness knows what I will be like next year.

I won't give away your last line, but I agree with you conclusion.

Thank you Matthew. I know there are some who see the Dubai move as just a further phase in her long career but I'm afraid that I cannot sign up to that view in any way whatsoever.

Jimmy

Thank you Matthew. I know there are some who see the Dubai move as just a further phase in her long career but I'm afraid that I cannot sign up to that view in any way whatsoever.

Jimmy

A liner should be on the ocean. If she's not, she's not a liner.

I'm afraid the same logic applies, for me, to RMS Queen Mary and SS United States.

If she has to go, I don't want to see her go to Dubai, or really anywhere other than the Clyde, Southampton or New York. And even those three would be second best.

Matthew

I'm afraid the same logic applies, for me, to RMS Queen Mary and SS United States.

I totally agree. I feel that, whilst there is always a place for historical relics and aftefacts, there is something ineffably sad about these great ships that serve no purpose other than to remind us of how great we once were.

Jimmy

That's pure sh*te by the way

HS,

why don't you just come right out and say what you think instead of sitting on the fence?

There's nothing like a Scottish complement to brighten up the day.

JC

PS - ignore my post on the other thread, unless you want to know where your car keys are.

Good lord that was good. I can't hardly see to type.

Want to know what's really crazy? I've never even laid eyes (my own eyes) on the ship, yet I feel as if I know her and am awfully sad.

Thank you, Jimmy SixWillies. You really did a fine job.

Jimmy, that was truly beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes as it made me think of Mary. There aren't many who can say they "love" an ocean liner, I consider us lucky that we can.:)

Betsy

As for this time next year on the farewell UK cruise & crossings, l wonder if we all realise what we are getting into:(

I booked my January Winter Crossing before the announcement and have been wondering the same myself, especially after reading the emotional 40th Anniversary Cruise comments. Spouse is wondering what type of "affair" I am having online every night, as I get teary eyed reading about QE2, not understanding my reaction at all. I have a hard time myself explaining it too.

I have essentially grown up with QE2, having dreamed about an ocean crossing at an early age, finally seeing her in person in Fort Lauderdale by chance while on vacation back in 1983. Finally I fufilled my dream to get on her once before she was gone, back in 1999. I had contemplated a cruise on the other true liner at the time, the Norway, but ultimately logic prevailed. I was worried then of her demise, but releaved when Carnival brought life back into Cunard and capital to keep her looking proud. They had just announced the building of QM2 before I sailed on her. I had hoped somehow she would be refitted massively once again and continue on in her career. Having watched the demise of the Norway, all I could think of was a beaching in Alang would be too painful to endure. Nothing could really have taken the sting out of the news for me , except for her to return to the Clyde, but I accept Cunard's decision. My second QE2 experience will be a bittersweet experience, not to be forgotten.

Thank you Jimmy for espressing our thoughts most elequently...misty eyed at work reading this.

Sorry, I didn't mean you had made me cry already, merely that a lot of the 40th anniversary stuff had me in tears at various stages last week. At the moment I am spending a surprising amount of time misty-eyed over a ship. Goodness knows what I will be like next year.

This is how I have been, going round Britain with you from the wrong side of the pond, for the Anniversary. I am having trouble typing through the tears.

The talent on these boards is amazing, I sit here in awe.

Jimmie:

If a group does not close the last open lounge on the last night of every cruise between now and the last sailing with this tribute sung or spoken then we are not worthy of being true Cunarders.

I have taken the liberty of printing out a copy which I shall take on the World Cruise and make certain is gets broad notice and several airings including the last lounge open as we approach New York City at the end of her very last world cruise.

Jimmy, add me to those who shed a few tears as I read your beautiful poem. And the lovely music made it even more moving! The Cunard board is full of wonderful scribes and you are certainly at the top of that list. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely tribute!

Beth

I have taken the liberty of printing out a copy which I shall take on the World Cruise and make certain is gets broad notice and several airings including the last lounge open as we approach New York City at the end of her very last world cruise.

Many thanks for your very kind remarks. I would guess the copy you printed from the web probably looks pretty ropey as the web page was deliberately put together at very low resolution to save space. If you would be happy to e-mail your postal address to me I can send you a decent copy which will also probably survive the trip better.

Jimmy

jc32(at)york(dot)ac(dot)uk

Archived