No smoking in cabins & veranda

DaisyScot

A couple of references that I found interesting:

http://www.kidon.com/smoke/percentages.htm

This one lists the percentage of smokers, non-smokers by country. The numbers are for the early 1990's, so the absolute numbers are probably smaller now than then since the population of smokers has tended to decline significantly in more recent years.

This is a more recent paper:

http://www.econ.brown.edu/econ/sthesis/IanPapers/thesissmoking.html

My point would be that although the Carnival Paradise experiment with a non-smoking ship was a failure, it may well be that the continuing decline in the absolute number of smokers might well make that experiment worth revisiting. Certainly it would appear that based on the declining numbers of smokers, the potential risks (at least of the fire hazard based on the Princess incident)to the ship, the increased and at least partially avoidable costs of de-odorizing and cleaning cabins and other areas, would appear to be partially responsible for the more restrictive smoking policies that the industry continues to announce.

Who knows, which way, the wind blows.......

As I said earlier and have said on a number of occasions, do not believe anything until you see a press release. ..................

Don, I know you are absolutely right about this and as helpful as CC can be about many things, it can also be a harbinger of false information. Not saying anyone does it on purpose:o , but .....;)

However, this discussion did lead me to the Celebrity site to review their smoking policy and I was really surprised to see that it says that at no time is cigar or pipe smoking allowed either in the cabins or on the verandahs!!!

I wonder when this was put into effect because my DH smokes a pipe and he certainly smoked on our balcony during out October 2005 Panama Canal cruise. Our steward knew that he did and said nothing.

And I saw several man hanging over their rails with their stogies in hand:D !!!

Still, when I told DH last night no more smoking his pipe on the balcony, he said the more places he's not allowed to smoke, the better off he is.

I'll second that!!!!!:D :D

Don, I know you are absolutely right about this and as helpful as CC can be about many things, it can also be a harbinger of false information. Not saying anyone does it on purpose:o , but .....;)

However, this discussion did lead me to the Celebrity site to review their smoking policy and I was really surprised to see that it says that at no time is cigar or pipe smoking allowed either in the cabins or on the verandahs!!!

I wonder when this was put into effect because my DH smokes a pipe and he certainly smoked on our balcony during out October 2005 Panama Canal cruise. Our steward knew that he did and said nothing.

And I saw several man hanging over their rails with their stogies in hand:D !!!

Still, when I told DH last night no more smoking his pipe on the balcony, he said the more places he's not allowed to smoke, the better off he is.

I'll second that!!!!!:D :D

Heather:

There was a large thread about the cigars on balconies about two months ago and it was hysterical. Various posters kept sending e-mails to Celebrity about their policy and they absolutely refused to answer the question point blank. They finally after numerous emails. It is apparently a policy that went into affect during the summer. Hope that answers your question. I suspect its another policy that they will probably not enforce.

Heather:

There was a large thread about the cigars on balconies about two months ago and it was hysterical. Various posters kept sending e-mails to Celebrity about their policy and they absolutely refused to answer the question point blank. They finally after numerous emails. It is apparently a policy that went into affect during the summer. Hope that answers your question. I suspect its another policy that they will probably not enforce.

What thread about smoking isn't hysterical? Like most policies it will take 2 years to ease it's way in. Non-smokers just need to be patient and enjoy the changes that have been made.Sure enforcement is lax at times but compared to 10 years ago the situation has improved tremendously for the non-smoker and in the next several years it will continue to improve if recent history is of any indication:D

Even though the passenger smoked, I thought the fire was ruled to be electrical........in the end.

AS for smoking, It should be allowed outside on the verandas, but not in the staterooms...IMHO.

I think there could be other causes as well...Travel irons, curling irons left plugged in, 18 appliances plugged ito 1 extension cord, candles.....and of course CHILDREN playing with matches or lighters...( which is a good reason children shouldn'r cruise at all).

AS for an update, I haven't heard of one, except for the fact that the AZAMARA ships are non-smoking in allpublic areas except for 2 designated areas.

Dave:eek:

Hi Dave

I just noticed on your signature that you are going to cruise on the Millennium on Sept. 19 2008. I am booked on the Infinity on the same day. The information I have is the Millennium sails on Sept. 22, 2008. Which one of us is right?

Ron

The thread wasn't really zapped ... you can still read it. It was a funny read because especially coming into it blind as I did, it was just the same thing over and over and over asked and answered a dozen different ways.

In the end I think the cruise lines in general like to make the rules difficult to find so that if you break them, they can decide whether to enforce or not enforce. The last thing they want to do is alienate any one particular group.

To me something is either allowed or it isn't and that's that. But I think that points out how old I must be:D .

I'm on the shortie, just enough for an anniversary getaway without using up all our vacation time.

Here's the link:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/vacationItinerary.do;jsessionid=0000jXMkUlglP1aDzNmIPMZkgpw:12hdbcveb?packageCode=ML03P003&backPageName=Itinerary+Search+Results&sailDate=1080919

Hope that helps.

Dave:eek: .

it probably got zapped,smoking threads nearly always get zapped! :(

Threads that discuss the smoking rules aboard ships and how they are enforced, seldom get zapped.

Threads, or posts, that forget that Cruise Critic is a site dedicated to cruising, not to the health characteristics of smoking, are removed because they are off topic and because they very rarely accomplish much of anything.

If a Cruise Critic member wishes to discuss the health aspects of smoking, there is a plethora of material on websites that are dedicated to the subject.

Threads that discuss the smoking rules aboard ships and how they are enforced, seldom get zapped.

Threads, or posts, that forget that Cruise Critic is a site dedicated to cruising, not to the health characteristics of smoking, are removed because they are off topic and because they very rarely accomplish much of anything.

If a Cruise Critic member wishes to discuss the health aspects of smoking, there is a plethora of material on websites that are dedicated to the subject.

Walt, I wish you would "ZAP" them!

Please, can you not put a stop to threads being started regarding smoking rules which are totally untrue.

IF, somoene post information regarding new smoking policies, can cruise critic not check it out and only allow posting IF there is conclusive evidence that the fact they state, is in fact the truth!

Eight of us have already changed our cruise from originally booked Azamara. Coming from various parts of the world, this is a big re-union for us. We have booked sky suites, pre hotels stays, and post hotel vacation, flights from all over and at great expense. The amount of work involved in getting us all time off together, planning flights etc was immense, it would be impossible for us now to alter those plans.

We read this thread the other day and the panic button once more was hit!

ALL of us have now checked this out and the consistent replies we have all now received is that we WILL be allowed to smoke on our balconies.

NONE of us smoke inside cabins, thats why we book suites with balconies. We all can handle restrictions in the public areas, but we would not pay the amount of money we are paying, for this vacation to be told we could not smoke on our balconies.

Please Host Walt, do not allow threads unless they are indeed FACT!

Thank you.

Please, can you not put a stop to threads being started regarding smoking rules which are totally untrue.

IF, somoene post information regarding new smoking policies, can cruise critic not check it out and only allow posting IF there is conclusive evidence that the fact they state, is in fact the truth!

Eight of us have already changed our cruise from originally booked Azamara. Coming from various parts of the world, this is a big re-union for us. We have booked sky suites, pre hotels stays, and post hotel vacation, flights from all over and at great expense. The amount of work involved in getting us all time off together, planning flights etc was immense, it would be impossible for us now to alter those plans.

ALL of us have now checked this out and the consistent replies we have all now received is that we WILL be allowed to smoke on our balconies.

NONE of us smoke inside cabins, thats why we book suites with balconies. We all can handle restrictions in the public areas, but we would not pay the amount of money we are paying, for this vacation to be told we could not smoke on our balconies.

Thank you.

If the board monitors allowed only posts that checked out as

"...conclusive evidence that the fact they state, is in fact the truth!" There would be very few allowed posts. Most everything posted here is opinion and therfore subjective.

Celebrity (and all of the others) publish their list of rules from smoking to dress to bringing alcohol on board. It never says for example that 'a [fill in your choice here] itinerary is more casual and jeans are permitted in the dining room.' But posters come here ot "verify" that they heard that such was true. Even if I cruised ten times and each time I was able to bring on three liters of Johnny Walker Green that doesn't mean that you will be able to do so on your next cruise.

From the Celebrity website:

What is your onboard smoking policy?

Subject: Ship and Stateroom Details

Cigarette Smoking is permitted:

• In staterooms.

• In designated areas on the port (left) side of most public areas (Lounges, Bars, Decks).

Pipe and Cigar Smoking:

• Pipe and cigar smoking is only allowed in specifically

designated areas on outer decks of the vessel.

• Please check with the Guest Relations Desk for these specific venues.

• Please note that at no time is cigar and pipe smoking permitted in STATEROOMS/SUITES OR ON THEIR VERANDAS. (my emphasis)

Now I read that as smoking IS permitted in staterooms but NOT on verandas, since the last line makes a distinction between staterooms and verandas. Just because I see it that way or some other poster sees the veranda as being part of the stateroom doesn't matter. For Celebrity's intent, go to Celebrity.

Regards

Thank you.

I'm truly sorry if your "panic button" was pushed but I don't think anyone (with the rare "Troll" exception) intentionally misleads others on these Boards with incorrect info. If you read this entire thread you will find that it's repeatedly mentioned that X isn't giving a definitive answer about any POSSIBLE change in smoking policy as regards the X ships (I don't know about Azmara). I have received 2 or 3 different statements from X as regards any change of smoking policy. Add in the differing info X gave other posters, and.....?:o

I'm sincerely sorry if you misunderstood any posting I made, causing you and your friends to contemplate canceling your cruise.:( But since you use the Boards, you obviously find most of the info on the Boards useful and factually accurate. I think the responsibility of knowing policies, etc. which control our cruises falls to each of us individually. These Boards are a research tool, filled with facts, opinions, and yes, even some misinformation/misstatements which are generally corrected by other posters VERY quickly. Imagine how much less you would know about X if you didn't have these Boards.;)

I'm sorry I can't help you as regards the smoking policy on Azmara. But I trust the people on this Board and their love of research. I recommend you and your friends contact X frequently as regards the smoking policy on Azmara just so you can feel secure. I don't smoke, but I imagine it would be terrible for you to get on the ship expecting a certain smoking policy and then finding out it's different. I hope you and yours have a WONDERFUL cruise!:)

Happy cruising!

Denise

Thank you.

I hope this info helps you - I took it directly from the (X/) Azamara (faq) site so it is absolutely factually accurate.....

Will smoking be allowed on these ships?

A.

Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest have two designated smoking areas. These areas are located in the aft section of the Looking Glass Lounge on the port side, and on the starboard forward section of the Pool Deck. Smoking areas have signs indicating that smoking is permitted there. All other areas of the ships are non-smoking. This includes Public Rooms, Restaurants, Pool Deck, Staterooms and Suites, Verandas and Halls. For the comfort of all of our guests, we request strict adherence to this policy, and thank all of our guests for

their cooperation.

Happy cruising!:)

Denise

While the majority do follow the codes/rules...there is always an exception, and they are in the minority. Being said, just because they are in the minority doesn't mean they won't impact someones experience in a negative way, however I don't see a slight incovenience as a major experience in RUINING someones cruise, unless the problem is persistant. Even if the problem isn't able to be resolved, those that are affected are in the minority as well.

We all have our pet peeves, and most of them are psychological not necessarily physiological.

With any thread on this site, you will always find the 'renogade'. The "I paid for my vacation and I'll do what ever I want", The "I DON'T have to follow the dress codes", the "Ship made me get NORO", the " I have the BEST BEHAVED 5 year old, and They'll eat in the specialty restaurant if I say so"...Etc.....

As I said, the truth is that the Majority follow the rules.

The problem is we have become such a "ME....ME...ME" society, that we have lost our common courtesy, respect, and tolerance for others. It can be justified in anyones mind, As I admit I do myself. While I tolerate smoking because it does not bother me....The stress, annoyance, and elevated blood pressure of a misbehaving, screaming, non-supervised child makes me crazy, then I tend to put all children into the "I hate children" category, which by the way isn't true...but I have had enough bad experiences that just the site of a stroller at an airport gate, or a child boarding a ship...makes me subliminally start the process, even if nothing has happened.

I think the same is true with non-smokers.

Just the thought that someone may have been previously smoking in their cabin...sets them off before they even open the door. A singlr whiff of smoke "RUINS" their ENTIRE cruise. THey were NEVER able to use the veranda because the person next door was smoking....( Was this person tied to a chair being forced to chain smoke for the entirety of the cruise? you would think so the way the situation has been described). I picture a bugs bunny cartoon, where someone has to walk out of their room, with a knife and cut a hole in the smoke to breathe.........

We all understand that smoking is not the healthiest habit, however on a ship NOT WASHING your hands frequently has more adverse effects than an ocassion whiff of smoke.

Allergies and athsma: People, the person/people smoking the cigarette didn't give you these problems, they came from somewhere else. Your ailment is not the responsiblity or concern of anyone but yourself. Please take out your aggressions on the source of your problem. There are MANY allergens, and triggers out there. I'm sure you have to live with them every day and deal. A vacation is no different.

Smokers have a right to smoke in the open air, no one owns the atmosphere. Non-smokers have a right to not breathe smoke. Both rights infringe upon the other and it is a no win situation and will always be. However if we just become more tolerant and respectful of eachother we might just beable to get a long.

Smokers be aware of those around you, and please only smoke in the designated areas. Non-smokers be aware that people do smoke and stay out of these areas if it offends you.

Smokers, a breath of fresh air won't kill you once in a while , the same for Non-smokers, a whiff of smoke once in a while may cause you an annoyance, but I truly don't believe it will kill you either.

Consideration, moderation, respect and tolerance. Four things WE ALL need to practice more in our daily lifes.

Thanks Denise, its not Azamara we are cruising now it is with Celebrity.

It was the OP which I was referrring to. I dont get a huge amount of time to read online so I was skimming but sure, we all hit major panic :rolleyes:

The performance we had cancelling Azamara and finding alternative cruises which we could all go was pretty endless. We ALL go to land based resorts where one cannot smoke inside public areas etc, so we are fine with that, the most serious thing for us, was the "no smoking on balconies" rule. For us anyway, thats a "we aint going!". We cant exactaly nip overboard, and the whole point of paying for a suite is to enjoy butler served breakfast etc, lounge around without rushing and I just cannot see members of our group all wandering the ship for their morning fix :)

Rightly or wrongly, its just not for us.

The OP has only posted on these boards three times, and perhaps in hindsight we should have checked that before hitting panic. But having already made major changes, one little scare is enough to set us off.

Azamara does have different rules from Celebrity, and we respect those rules. Our only argument at all with any company, is that they inform you AT THE TIME OF BOOKING what their policies are. We can then have the freedom of choice to book or not to book as the case may be.

What annoys us, is the fact, we could in fact pay in full and have no comeback if Celebrity suddenly decided to change the rule book.

We have however had it in writing from them (from Canada, U.S. and UK) that we will NOT be asked to refrain from smoking on our balconies.

My feelings to CC are that there are certain posters, who post deliberatley to cause ill feeling towards smoking and those should be closely monitored. THOSE are the threads I would like to see "zapped"!

I respect all peoples opinions but there are posters on this thread who are not even celebrity cruisers who have posted over 100 comments regarding smoking policy, its like a hate campaign! Enough is enough!

I value and appreciate so much of what CC has to offer on here. I have learned a huge deal, and have met new and wonderful people through our cruises. Without CC, we would not have known which cabins to choose, where to dine and so much more.

Happy cruising to you too:)

While the majority do follow the codes/rules...there is always an exception, and they are in the minority. Being said, just because they are in the minority doesn't mean they won't impact someones experience in a negative way, however I don't see a slight incovenience as a major experience in RUINING someones cruise, unless the problem is persistant. Even if the problem isn't able to be resolved, those that are affected are in the minority as well.

We all have our pet peeves, and most of them are psychological not necessarily physiological.

With any thread on this site, you will always find the 'renogade'. The "I paid for my vacation and I'll do what ever I want", The "I DON'T have to follow the dress codes", the "Ship made me get NORO", the " I have the BEST BEHAVED 5 year old, and They'll eat in the specialty restaurant if I say so"...Etc.....

The problem is we have become such a "ME....ME...ME" society, that we have lost our common courtesy, respect, and tolerance for others. It can be justified in anyones mind, As I admit I do myself. While I tolerate smoking because it does not bother me....The stress, annoyance, and elevated blood pressure of a misbehaving, screaming, non-supervised child makes me crazy, then I tend to put all children into the "I hate children" category, which by the way isn't true...but I have had enough bad experiences that just the site of a stroller at an airport gate, or a child boarding a ship...makes me subliminally start the process, even if nothing has happened.

Just the thought that someone may have been previously smoking in their cabin...sets them off before they even open the door. A singlr whiff of smoke "RUINS" their ENTIRE cruise. THey were NEVER able to use the veranda because the person next door was smoking....( Was this person tied to a chair being forced to chain smoke for the entirety of the cruise? you would think so the way the situation has been described). I picture a bugs bunny cartoon, where someone has to walk out of their room, with a knife and cut a hole in the smoke to breathe.........

We all understand that smoking is not the healthiest habit, however on a ship NOT WASHING your hands frequently has more adverse effects than an ocassion whiff of smoke.

Allergies and athsma: People, the person/people smoking the cigarette didn't give you these problems, they came from somewhere else. Your ailment is not the responsiblity or concern of anyone but yourself. Please take out your aggressions on the source of your problem. There are MANY allergens, and triggers out there. I'm sure you have to live with them every day and deal. A vacation is no different.

Smokers have a right to smoke in the open air, no one owns the atmosphere. Non-smokers have a right to not breathe smoke. Both rights infringe upon the other and it is a no win situation and will always be. However if we just become more tolerant and respectful of eachother we might just beable to get a long.

Smokers be aware of those around you, and please only smoke in the designated areas. Non-smokers be aware that people do smoke and stay out of these areas if it offends you.

Smokers, a breath of fresh air won't kill you once in a while , the same for Non-smokers, a whiff of smoke once in a while may cause you an annoyance, but I truly don't believe it will kill you either.

Consideration, moderation, respect and tolerance. Four things WE ALL need to practice more in our daily lifes.

I hate it when you say it better than I (me? what the heck IS that rule anyway?!:confused:)!!!;)

I was hoping I would get a chance to say "Happy cruising" to you before you leave (lucky Devil!). Have a WONDERFUL cruise!!!!! We'll miss you!:D

Denise

Dave I applaud you! If you were sitting nearby to me, or anywhere within my vicinity, I simply would NOT smoke. I hate upsetting nice people, and you are most definately one of the nicer people in life!

And you need never worry if you had to use our cabin after our cruise. We take water/sand pots as ashtrays for the balcony, and safety aromotherapy candles inside water pots which we light when smoking on our baclonies to absorb the smoke, and NEVER EVER smoke inside our cabin, or in any area designated as non smoking.

Would any of us smoke in our bedrooms at home...NO WAY:eek: ...and NO WAY would we smoke in our bedrooms on vacation.

You are so right, a littel tolerance on both parts goes a long way to a happier world!

Thank you:)

I hate it when you say it better than I (me? what the heck IS that rule anyway?!:confused:)!!!;)

I was hoping I would get a chance to say "Happy cruising" to you before you leave (lucky Devil!). Have a WONDERFUL cruise!!!!! We'll miss you!:D

Denise

Thanks Denise, its not Azamara we are cruising now it is with Celebrity.

It was the OP which I was referrring to. I dont get a huge amount of time to read online so I was skimming but sure, we all hit major panic :rolleyes:

The performance we had cancelling Azamara and finding alternative cruises which we could all go was pretty endless. We ALL go to land based resorts where one cannot smoke inside public areas etc, so we are fine with that, the most serious thing for us, was the "no smoking on balconies" rule. For us anyway, thats a "we aint going!". We cant exactaly nip overboard, and the whole point of paying for a suite is to enjoy butler served breakfast etc, lounge around without rushing and I just cannot see members of our group all wandering the ship for their morning fix :)

Rightly or wrongly, its just not for us.

The OP has only posted on these boards three times, and perhaps in hindsight we should have checked that before hitting panic. But having already made major changes, one little scare is enough to set us off.

Azamara does have different rules from Celebrity, and we respect those rules. Our only argument at all with any company, is that they inform you AT THE TIME OF BOOKING what their policies are. We can then have the freedom of choice to book or not to book as the case may be.

What annoys us, is the fact, we could in fact pay in full and have no comeback if Celebrity suddenly decided to change the rule book.

We have however had it in writing from them (from Canada, U.S. and UK) that we will NOT be asked to refrain from smoking on our balconies.

My feelings to CC are that there are certain posters, who post deliberatley to cause ill feeling towards smoking and those should be closely monitored. THOSE are the threads I would like to see "zapped"!

I respect all peoples opinions but there are posters on this thread who are not even celebrity cruisers who have posted over 100 comments regarding smoking policy, its like a hate campaign! Enough is enough!

I value and appreciate so much of what CC has to offer on here. I have learned a huge deal, and have met new and wonderful people through our cruises. Without CC, we would not have known which cabins to choose, where to dine and so much more.

Happy cruising to you too:)

Blondie - Sorry I misunderstood about your Azamara cruise - today seems to be an apology day for me. I agree with you - I'm uncomfortable with any cruise line/resort/whatever, accepting bookings and money, and then changing policies which affect you. I know it's common, but that doesn't mean we should like it!:rolleyes:

I think I mentioned to you that I'm NOT a smoker. But really, if the policy says you can smoke on your verandah, you should feel free to smoke on your verandah! If I'm bothered by the smoke, I'll step inside, in 10 minutes I can come back out to a smoke free, fresh salt air, verandah and we can both make fun of my sinuses. Most smokers are very considerate of non smokers. If you're smoking in an area designated as a smoking area, you shouldn't feel as though you're intruding upon others, it's your RIGHT to smoke there! Life's too short to hold smoking against other people - I have other fish to fry! Like my DH! He won't let me use "his" camera when we're on vaca (at all really)! So I take awful pictures and I've dropped it once or twice - big deal! See? How does my verandah neighbor smoking compare to an injustice like bogarting the camera?!;)

Happy cruising!

Denise

PS - I'm betting you're going to catch some heat about your candles. Good luck!;)

Talk about pushing someone out the door...LOL!!!

I don't leave for another 2 weeks....for me thats plenty of time for deleted posts and differing opinions:D .

However I do appreciate your good tidings, and only wish I were leaving tomorrow!!!

Talk about pushing someone out the door...LOL!!!

I don't leave for another 2 weeks....for me thats plenty of time for deleted posts and differing opinions:D .

However I do appreciate your good tidings, and only wish I were leaving tomorrow!!!

:) Not trying to push you out the door, but I'll bet you're going to be too busy getting ready to bother with us! Besides, I'm in Telluride, CO right now (anniversary week) and I'm losing some Board time. I didn't want to take the chance of not "speaking" to you before you head out.;) Look at the bright side...the well wishes may be a couple of weeks early, but they're being sent by a woman during her anniversary week, in a beautiful condo, surrounded by a bunch of "fourteeners" covered in snow and nature at her most magnificent, while her husband sits alone in front of the fire place, sipping on hot chocolate glaring at her back while she types on the computer!;) Whew! I'm out of breath!:p

Happy cruising!

Denise

Archived