Interline baggage advise

threeedogmedia

We're going to be flying from Seattle to LAX on United and then going to fly Air New Zealand to Auckland. Since they are partner airlines, we will be able to interline the bags from Seattle so we don't have to go thru the mess at LAX in the international terminal. Now for the concern - We arrive at LAX at 3pm and our outbound flight isn't until 11:15pm. I'm afraid that the bags (even though they are interlined) won't be loaded on to the plane because of the lengthy delay until departure. I dread the thought of collecting the bags and waiting in the lines at the international terminal but I don't want my bags to end up left behind. Do any of you think this is too risky?

Karen

Bags are transfered in this same type of situation everyday all over the world. You have just as much chance of them missing the plane by rechecking them in LA as not.

Relax....you're on vacation.

We fly in and out of the USA every year (USA to Mexico and back) with connections at LAX. We always have to retrieve our bags and hand carry them through customs - then have them re-checked in for the continuing flight to SFO. Occasionally we have even re-boarded the same plane, but still have had to get our bags and recheck them.

I was wondering if your situation is different from ours because we are not continuing on to another country, but we have many Canadian friends who also return from Mexico through LAX, and they tell us they have to do the same thing.

ThreeDog -

ANZ is part of the "Star Alliance" with UAL and this should be an easy transfer. Just check in your bags to NZ at SEA. If you land at Terminal 6 or 7, you probably have to walk across to Terminal 2. If they finish fixing the theme restaurant, it might be worth a visit.

Dear Karen,

If you are familiar with LAX, you know there is absolutely nothing to do for all those hours. If you don't know anyone in L.A. to entertain you for several hours, hope a cab to the Marina del Rey and eat at the Cheesecake Factory. That's my usual run when my cousins come into town and have a layover such as yours. It's about 20 minutes from the airport. If it's a beautiful day in L.A., you can sit outside, view the boats and the mountains. If the weather isn't good, hop on the Marriott bus and have lunch there.

Sheila

You actually have enough time to do several things if you have the inclination. The Cheesecake in Marina del Rey is a great spot to watch the world go by.

In four hours time, you could also go to Santa Monica and walk the 3rd Street Promenade for a few hours and have a nice bite to eat before returning to the airport; There are many many restaurants there. You could rent a car for a part day and go sightseeing and have something quicker to eat too.

Air New Zealand is NOT in the Tom Bradley International Terminal. Terminal 2 is across the airport from United. They also have a code share flight so you could actually be flying on United ...you might check that out ...United has a plane that leaves daily to NZ from Denver to LAX to NZ....

We're flying form New Orleans to JFK early in the morning on Jet Blue, and leaving on Delta for Istanbul. We will have to collect and recheck our luggage, because nobody likes Jet Blue, but they're the only airline that can reduce our connections to two legs, with enough time to actually feel safe about it. I suppose we can re-check our luggage right away with Delta, but then what to do with all that time? It's too risky to go into the city.

"United has a plane that leaves daily to NZ from Denver to LAX to NZ...."

Are you sure it is a UAL plane all the way? My UAL friends told me that UAL doesn't fly into NZ anymore. I have a feeling the DEN passengers change to an Air NZ plane at LAX.

"United has a plane that leaves daily to NZ from Denver to LAX to NZ...."

Are you sure it is a UAL plane all the way? My UAL friends told me that UAL doesn't fly into NZ anymore. I have a feeling the DEN passengers change to an Air NZ plane at LAX.

You're quite correct! One could travel from Denver to Auckland, with a change in Los Angeles. The first leg might be UAL255 arriving in LAX, and then transfer to UAL9549 to Auckland. The fact is that 9549 is not a United aircraft but is a code-share flight and is actually NZ1 of Air New Zealand!

Some people do get confused with what code-shares are all about...

Archived