Hotels & Bedtime - How do you handle this?

abba_dabba_doo

DH and I & our 2 DD's (7 & 4) will be staying in a hotel in Port Canaveral the night before our cruise.

I'm wondering how you handle bedtime when staying in a hotel? Do you spend the extra money and get a suite that has a separate bedroom? If not, how do you put your kids to bed in the same room w/out you having to go to bed w/them at 8:00? I'm debating whether I should spend the extra money and get a suite room that has a separate bedroom area so the girls can get a good nights sleep before the cruise.

DH and I & our 2 DD's (7 & 4) will be staying in a hotel in Port Canaveral the night before our cruise.

I'm wondering how you handle bedtime when staying in a hotel? Do you spend the extra money and get a suite that has a separate bedroom? If not, how do you put your kids to bed in the same room w/out you having to go to bed w/them at 8:00? I'm debating whether I should spend the extra money and get a suite room that has a separate bedroom area so the girls can get a good nights sleep before the cruise.

I've found suites or connecting rooms to be the best option. We're staying at a nice resort this time around pre-cruise (4 days). It was too expensive to get connecting rooms, so we're going to be creative in one room. We have several plans. One night we'll use the resort's babysitting service so dh and I can go out. We'll sneak in after the kids are asleep. We are packing a small flashlight so we don't have to turn on the lights. We'll have our pajamas out in the bathroom so we don't disturb our sleeping beauties. Other nights, we'll take turns putting the kids to bed. The other parent gets to have some adult time in the bar or the gym or at the beach in the evening. Some nights, we'll all go out and let the kids stay up until 10. We're taking a portable dvd player and our laptop so that the parent stuck babysitting can surf the web or watch a movie in the bathroom while the kids sleep. We're also taking a good book. If the budget is there, get a suite or connecting rooms.

Yep either suites with separate rooms or a hotel that has BALCONIES.

The hotel with a balcony will work just as well because you can step "outside" and let them fall asleep.

There have only been a handle of times that we had to stay in the room with the kids and the hotel didn't have a balcony (The Hershey Hotel is like that) and getting them to sleep is a NIGHTMARE. :eek:

At one point I ended up taking my youngest out to the car and driving her around in her car seat until she fell asleep. :rolleyes:

Two words for you: Wine and Benadryl. Wine for you, Benadryl for the kids. JUST KIDDING!

I would save my money and put everyone in the same room. If they are like our kids, they will be pretty excited and would just be up in the other room.

What helps is to get them as tired as possible before bed; take them to the pool, go for a walk, anything to burn off energy. Then a warm bath or shower and jammies. Keep the routine as much like home as possible.

Then we watch TV, keeping the volume down and drink the wine when they don't go to sleep.

Abba, sister dear! We need to talk lolol!

When B & I took our littles to VA, we were up so late that we all went to bed at the same time, was fine. I had wanted a mini-suite but either they were booked or not available for what I wanted/or didn't want to spend.

Plus, can't we all stay in same hotel w/adjoining rooms and put all the littles in one until we go to bed unless we all go to bed late?

We never have a budget that allows for more than just one room. We turn the lights off, and once they are asleep, we turn just a small light on, or just the tv. Most kids are pretty heavy sleepers.

When they were younger and woke up in the middle of the night, but would fall back asleep on their own if they were alone in the room, we brought a bedshheet, and some duct tape. We put the crib in a corner of the room and hung the sheet across.. so if they woke up, they had the sense they were in their own "room", and did not see us. It was probably overkill, but I liked the idea of making my separate space.

We've always shared a room with our sons while in a hotel. Usually they're so tuckered out they fall asleep soon after their heads hit the pillow.

Also, it wouldn't hurt for you and your hubby to go to be early too! You'll appreciated the extra sleep that you've gotten once on board the ship!

Abba, sister dear! We need to talk lolol!

When B & I took our littles to VA, we were up so late that we all went to bed at the same time, was fine. I had wanted a mini-suite but either they were booked or not available for what I wanted/or didn't want to spend.

Plus, can't we all stay in same hotel w/adjoining rooms and put all the littles in one until we go to bed unless we all go to bed late?

Great advice here....I was thinking suite and now I'm thinking just one room, oh what to do.

Hi sis! I know, funny you say all that cause I was thinking yesterday after I posted that we'd be in the same hotel anyway and adjoining rooms could work too. Then I was thinking that if M&S are in same hotel w/us, then J&R could sleep in their room, right? Cause otherwise where would you put them? I think I've narrowed hotels down to either Hampton Inn or Country Inn & Suites. Been looking at reviews cause I am not staying in a dump just to save a few bucks, even if it is only for one night and plus it will be the girls first time in a hotel and I want them to have a nice experience.

You know it's funny because when I was growing up my parents would have me in the bed furthest from the chairs in the room and they would have a small light on and talk softly and I would go to sleep. I think I was just too easy.

With my son I have a light on and the TV of DVD on and lay with him until he goes to sleep, but he''ll be two tomorrow so different age group.

Two words for you: Wine and Benadryl. Wine for you, Benadryl for the kids. JUST KIDDING!

I would save my money and put everyone in the same room. If they are like our kids, they will be pretty excited and would just be up in the other room.

What helps is to get them as tired as possible before bed; take them to the pool, go for a walk, anything to burn off energy. Then a warm bath or shower and jammies. Keep the routine as much like home as possible.

Then we watch TV, keeping the volume down and drink the wine when they don't go to sleep.

We have done the same kind of thing--and saved the $

...except once in Paris we booked a suite/room were the kids could sleep and we could eat dinner in the room...

Save the $, and read with a small booklite--and let them sleep ..if they aren't too excited anyway!:)

Honestly, we'll probably all stay up til around 10pm and go to sleep close to the same time. We plan on hitting the pool (if it's open) after dinner and that will keep my kids busy for awhile. My 3yo won't have any trouble falling asleep, even with lights on if he's tired. My 6yo will be fine with the tv on. DH will likely have his laptop and I'll make sure everything is ready for the next morning. I'm sure I'll be exhausted, so I won't be staying up too late.

Then I was thinking that if M&S are in same hotel w/us, then J&R could sleep in their room, right? Cause otherwise where would you put them? I think I've narrowed hotels down to either Hampton Inn or Country Inn & Suites. Been looking at reviews cause I am not staying in a dump just to save a few bucks, even if it is only for one night and plus it will be the girls first time in a hotel and I want them to have a nice experience.

Thank you taking care of all the planning for our trip! :) :) :)

I've used Hampton Inn a lot recently and am a Hilton club member so I can book rooms if we use them, plus there's a discount for AAA. With S's snoring, it might be better to have at least one mini-suite with the pull-out couch so we can fit all of us in 3 rooms. Or even 2 mini's if it's less expensive than 4 rooms. And now all sleep in beds so can't finagle w/pack-n-plays...

Archived