Insurance for cancelled/interrupted cruise by the cruise line?

MindyLee

I'm a newbie, Please bear with me! This may have been asked and answered already, but I can't find it.

We're sailing with Carnival in three weeks and have decided to purchase their insurance that covers in the event that we need to cancel or leave early from our cruise, or if during the cruise we have medical expenses, lost luggage, etc. So, we'll get that, no problem. It's not expensive, just $49/person.

But, what about coverage if the cruise line cancels or interrupts the trip due to weather or some other catastrophe? Is there any insurance we can buy so that we'd be reimbursed for that?

Hope someone can help me!!!

Thanks in advance,

Mindy

Usually, if a cruiseline has to cancel or cut short a cruise, they offer not only full reimbursement for the days missed, but also a discount on a future cruise. Whether or not you have insurance. But third party insurance policies do cover the interruption or cancellation by the cruiseline.

However, missing a port, or changing an itinerary is not cutting off entire days or a full cancellation of a cruise. In that case, its a minor refund of $25 for a missed port.

But, what about coverage if the cruise line cancels or interrupts the trip due to weather or some other catastrophe? Is there any insurance we can buy so that we'd be reimbursed for that?

Thanks in advance,

Mindy

The cruise line will refund your money if they cancel the cruise.

Unless they go bankrupt then it may be a different story.

• Administrators
I'm a newbie, Please bear with me! This may have been asked and answered already, but I can't find it.

We're sailing with Carnival in three weeks and have decided to purchase their insurance that covers in the event that we need to cancel or leave early from our cruise, or if during the cruise we have medical expenses, lost luggage, etc. So, we'll get that, no problem. It's not expensive, just $49/person.

Thanks in advance,

Mindy

Insurance you buy other than through the cruiseline normally does cover expenses associated with cancellation by the cruiseline (or partial cancellation -- cutting the cruise short, for instance). The cruiseline may give a partial or full reimbursement of your cruise fare, and some type of future credit -- but you still could have additional expenses such as having to change air travel arrangements, extra hotel nights, etc. Third party insurance is also available for cruiseline bankruptcy, which in fact can and has happened in the past (and at the moment Windjammer is in a precarious position as well -- I suspect people who a year or so ago purchased third party insurance for upcoming Windjammer cruises are pretty happy with their decision now).

If you check out www.insuremytrip.com there is a wealth of information on coverages and companies offering various policies. Each person's needs, situation, and budget are different, however. There really is no short cut or "Reader's Digest" version which will produce the right answer for you every time -- you have to get in there and read the stuff. I advise a cup of coffee before you do. :)

Thanks for the replies!

So, if we're on the cruise and the cruise line decides that they have to cut it short because of weather or mechanical problems or something, they'll reimburse us the cost of the cruise? Even without travel insurance?

Yes, if the cruiseline cancels your trip, they will refund the price of your cruise PLUS generally give you something in return for you inconvenience..maybe a credit towards your next cruise with them. They don't want to lose your business.

Thanks for the replies!

So, if we're on the cruise and the cruise line decides that they have to cut it short because of weather or mechanical problems or something, they'll reimburse us the cost of the cruise? Even without travel insurance?

If your cruise is cancelled you will get your cruise fare back and usually some kind of OBC or discount for your next cruise.

If your cruise is cut short for some reason (this is very unlikely!), you'll probably get a partial refund and maybe some OBC or a discount for your next cruise. According to the cruise contract they really don't even have to do that much :eek: .

As Cheryl said, if you miss a port (or all of the ports!) the only thing you can expect to be refunded is the port fee.

AFAIK, travel insurance wouldn't cover any of these situations.

Archived