Frances to Visit Port canaveral

It is way too early to be making this kind of statement. The models continue to change by the hour as this storm is on an unsure track. The computer models have changed the track at least three times today placing it ashore from Ft. Lauderdale up to the Carolinas. It is still five to six days away as we speak.

i hope it doesnt affect my canada new england cruise out of boston on 9/11. i've been looking forward to this trip forever! i know its still 2 weeks away, but i'm holding my breath trying to figure out what frances will do. and i am warily keeping an eye out for any other storms that may be brewing out there!

The mariner on Sunday should be okay as far as the weather Sunday, however, any evacuations in Florida may affect the ability to have the port staffed and open. The forecast track will probably call for evacuations for the entire East coast of Florida. I would also expect very few flights will be going into Florida on Saturday and Sunday.

Here's good luck and best wishes to all that are sailing out and comming back in this comming Friday and Saturday. Hope all goes well for you all.

I know what you all must be feeling, I too have a cruise booked on the Mariner out of Canaveral in a few weeks.

This is a chance that we all take when we book those darn stormy months.

I am also hoping that this thing will stay out to sea and go away for all of you fine people in Florida. You have already had enough to deal with.

I live on the other side of Florida, so luckily I don't have to worry about flight delays :) Do any of you think the storm might delay the return of the Mariner on Sunday? I'm not sure about the timing of the path the ship takes, but I know it will go near the storm's landfall area at some point. Any ideas?

-Joe

It is too early to make any definite statements about the track. According to our local meteorlist (Jacksonville, FL) There are two other things out there that will affect her tract (besides the ever present Gulf Stream). It depends on which is stronger. One tract takes her over Miami and then across Florida towards Tampa (kind of a mirror image of Charley). The second tract brings her ashore around Daytona or so and then go up the penisula west of Jax. The third keeps her off shore and she heads toward the Carolina's.

Right now each scenario is at at the 30% level. The other 10% is, it can go anywhere :)

I like to keep an eye out to get a general idea of where hurricanes maybe going a week or so out. but wait until three days out to really getting concerned and figuring out our risk factor.

If Port Canaveral is hit, and essentially destroyed, where would the Mariner go? Miami? Tampa? I know that no one knows for sure, but any ideas are helpful at this point. I'm just hoping that the 11:00 advisory shows it begining to turn now, and forcasts her to go out to see and far away from Florida *crosses fingers*

-Joe

I live on the other side of Florida, so luckily I don't have to worry about flight delays :) Do any of you think the storm might delay the return of the Mariner on Sunday? I'm not sure about the timing of the path the ship takes, but I know it will go near the storm's landfall area at some point. Any ideas?

-Joe

On the Mariner roll call someone called RCCL and they said they would put Mariner to another port if they cannot get to Port canaveral and that it would be sailing on Sunday.

What port it is and how all the people get from one place to another would not be determined until that time.

We are supposed to be on the Mariner this coming Sunday also. I think I have finally come to grips with the fact that we may not go and just loose whatever. We live in NJ and have a flight from LaGuardia booked into Orlando which is to land at 2:09 pm on Saturday. I doubt that the airport will be open if this thing hits the area. I am feeling bad, but just imagine the people on the Mariner this week who should be returning to Port Canaveral on Sunday. What happens if the port is hit? When we were on the Mariner in May we drove to Florida and parked our car in the parking garage. I am just thinking of what could happen to the cars in that garage if the hurricane hits the port. I am praying we are all worrying for nothing and that next week at this time I am onboard watching a show and the storm turns and goes out to sea.

I suggest you look for yourselves by going to the National Hurricane Center's website: www.nhc.noaa.org On this website they have the forecasts as well as the probability of where they think it will hit in the 4 days in the future. One thing you might be interested in is to look at the discussion which talks about what the NHC thinks about the forecast models.

Best Regards,

Vic

Well none of the ships that cruise into Port Canaveral (except "maybe" the Carnival Fantasy and the Sovereign of the Seas) would be able to port in Tampa... they are all too tall and would not fit under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. So it would be interesting to see where they send them given the landfall area could be anyone of the other Florida ports (Jacksonville, Port Canaveral, Ft Lauderdale and Miami), this one will just have to be a wait and see game. I know a few years ago there was one DCL sailing that was unable to get into Port Canaveral (don't remember why) and they ported at Ft Lauderdale and bussed everyone from the returning cruise back up and everyone that they could that was leaving was bussed down...

Anwyay. the 11pm forcasted path brings Frances in at Vero Beach and a straight shot across Orlando AGAIN... But as the local weatherman (poked fun at himself) he said "Let's keep in mind that we very rarely get the 5 day forecast correct"... he said keep advised about what is going on and go now to buy things that you need to be prepared, even if the storm changes course you will still use the stuff anyway.

Also as was brought up on another post, the NOAA web sight is very informative but the local meterologists in Central Florida predecited the turn that Charley took hours before NOAA made the call. While I am not saying Don't look at NOAA (I live on that web page) you can also check out the local news for Central Florida.

NBC:

http://www.wesh.com/index.html

ABC:

http://www.wftv.com/index.html

CBS:

http://www.local6.com/index.html

We are planning on leaving Sunday on the Mariner. Our daughter is flying in from NY Friday night, and we are thinking about changing that to Thursday night.

We, in Orlando, are already worn out from no power for 4-6 days from Charley, and some, in the Kissimmee, area just got power this past Saturday. Many neighborhoods have suffered roof problems ( my mother's included) and have tarps. The roofing contractors can't get us on schedule for weeks, into months.

Now, If we leave on Sunday, the storm will have hit land already. If Orlando gets it again, and the ship sails anyway, I wonder if we can get a refund, if we have to stay due to power outages or roof damage, etc.

So we are shopping for cruise clothes, shopping for batteries,etc. Trying not to buy groceries so we don't have to waste 200.00 worth of food. And facing a possible drive to a different port Sunday morning. AND, working up to the last minute... Lets just say we are very busy around here. Kinda like "chickens with our heads cut off"! This will make for some interesting ( again) times.:rolleyes:

I am leaving sat on navigator from miami. The storm is projected to hit the east coast of florida. Where do you think they will route the ship? I dont think any port on the west coast can fit a boat of that size. What are the possibilities that the cruise will be canceled? Has this ever happened?

The current forecast is to hit the east coast of FL early Sat morning. The big problem with the forecast is that there is a very strong ridge that is on the western side of the Atlantic. That ridge is keeping the hurricane from moving North. The forecast is for this ridge to weaken in the next 72 hours, but no one knows how quickly this ridge will weaken. The other problem is that Florida is not very wide and if the hurricane is heading towards the east coast that will mean that it might just keep going. Therefore unless the hurricane is moving North they will not divert ships to the other coast.

Vic

Archived