dress code

darbysue

we are traveling with our 17 year old daughter and her boyfriend on the Carribean Princess - How dressed up does he need to be to eat most nights and especially on the "formal" night
If he plans to eat in any of the dining rooms or specialty restaurants, here is the Princess dress code from their website. http://www.princess.com/answer/bring.html

ONBOARD ATTIRE

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men

Princess offers formal wear rental on all cruises; this can be arranged prior to embarkation. Please review the section entitled: formal wear. See below for a general evening attire schedule.

on all evenings except formal he must have on long pants and a casual shirt at minimum, no shorts or t shirts, on formal night he must have a suit, tuxedo or slacks with a dinner jacket. That is only if you eat in the dining rooms, if you want to eat in the buffet he can go in a swim suit

this is a trip of a lifetime for this young man - he has never traveled outside of the midwest - never flown etc - we do not want to see any embarressment come his way by not dressing correctly ( I am just hoping to get him to try some new foods!!) So if he is in a nice shirt and very nice jeans are there going to be any problems? He does not have an abundance of dressy clothes

this is a trip of a lifetime for this young man - he has never traveled outside of the midwest - never flown etc - we do not want to see any embarressment come his way by not dressing correctly ( I am just hoping to get him to try some new foods!!) So if he is in a nice shirt and very nice jeans are there going to be any problems? He does not have an abundance of dressy clothes

Boy you sound just like us except the bf is 18. :p Get him to buy one pair of dockers, a couple of "island" type, short sleeve casual shirts and he will be good to go. Just one pair will do. I have seen the "younger guys" in jeans but most times, after dinner. Ours will also be on his "trip of a lifetime" also. Yep, 4 in one cabin. :cool:

Have you ever done the 4 to a room before - figure us and the boyfriend will REALLY get to know each other before the week is out -

thanks for the info - if he is in a dark pair of pants shirt and tie on formal night will he be good to go??

Yes, I think the pants (dark) and shirt with tie would be fine. No, we have never done 4 in a cabin. We know it will be tight. I plan on having the guys use the spa shower. If it were a girlfreind they would have an inside cabin across the hall from us. Wish it were......:o

can they just go use the spa shower any time without using the spa?

We sail the 4th and all of us are getting excited - I cant wait to see the kids faces when they see the ship!!! He is a great kid ( has to be or we would never have considered taking him with us)

What ship? Yes, most ships you can just go and use the shower area. It is very exciting. :D Our daughter's bf is shy I guess. Almost one year and we really don't know him, except that he is good to our daughter. :)

Have you ever done the 4 to a room before - figure us and the boyfriend will REALLY get to know each other before the week is out -

thanks for the info - if he is in a dark pair of pants shirt and tie on formal night will he be good to go??

We only saw a few people wearing jeans to dinner on the first night. After that though, they all wore dresses or slacks & kakis on smart casual nights.

$20-$30 pair of khakis and he's GOOD to go for Smart Casual.

For Formal nights, he should really get a black jacket to match his pants! Or better yet, he should INVEST in a tux since he can wear it on the cruise, during his prom and when he gets married!! ;) Bamm, that's 4 times right there and he can wear it many more times should he like cruising!

we are on the carribean princess that sails Nov 3rd - buying a tux would be out of the questions - the young man is not done growing - and yes he too treats our daughter great and he has a lovely family!! they have gone together for a couple of years now.

I've cruised many times on Princess with my teen and preteen kids and friends. Don't stress over dress codes. There should be no looks of shun from other passengers or crew. Your daughters boyfriend sounds like a nice respectful young man. (or you wouldn't be traveling with him!) I would much rather sit next to a nice young man with great manners in jeans than a disrespectful teen in a suit, and I think the others will agree. Tell him to relax and enjoy every minute and don't stress over anything! It's a vacation not a coronation!

I've cruised many times on Princess with my teen and preteen kids and friends. Don't stress over dress codes. There should be no looks of shun from other passengers or crew. Your daughters boyfriend sounds like a nice respectful young man. (or you wouldn't be traveling with him!) I would much rather sit next to a nice young man with great manners in jeans than a disrespectful teen in a suit, and I think the others will agree. Tell him to relax and enjoy every minute and don't stress over anything! It's a vacation not a coronation!

Well said! :)

We don't want to see you slithering around the buffet with your bathing suit on, dripping all over the floor and creating a scene.

That's why they say that bathing suits must be covered up indoors.

Ciao for now!!!

Oh

We just got off of the Tahitian Princess. Usually before dinner we would have a drink in the bar just outside the restaurant. On the second night of the cruise we commented to each other on a young couple standing in line - probably both in their early 20's. The young lady was dressed to the nine's even though it was a smart casual night. Her partner had on a dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a pair of shorts. When they got to the front of the line, the maitre'd sent the young man back to change. He reappeared a few minutes later with a pair of jeans and was allowed to enter the dining room. Througout the cruise, we saw many people enter the dining room with jeans for dinner. However, those in shorts were turned away.

can he wear nice jeans and a button shirt for nights other than the formal night?
My suggestion is to tell him the dress code rather than what he can "get away with" and let him make the decision. Yes, people have gotten away with wearing jeans in the dining room at night but a pair of chinos or Dockers won't set him back a bundle and he can wear them at home when he returns.

If he wants to be "grown-up," then a jacket is appropriate for formal nights. Most of the few people I've seen on cruises not wearing a jacket are kids. There have been posts on this board by teenagers (or their parents) who said they were glad they had dressed up because others their age that they met had been dressed up.

No, it's not a coronation but it is a special occasion in this young man's life.

My suggestion is to tell him the dress code rather than what he can "get away with" and let him make the decision. Yes, people have gotten away with wearing jeans in the dining room at night but a pair of chinos or Dockers won't set him back a bundle and he can wear them at home when he returns.

If he wants to be "grown-up," then a jacket is appropriate for formal nights. Most of the few people I've seen on cruises not wearing a jacket are kids. There have been posts on this board by teenagers (or their parents) who said they were glad they had dressed up because others their age that they met had been dressed up.

No, it's not a coronation but it is a special occasion in this young man's life.

Well said Pam!

Sircruisealott;)

has deleted "jeans" from the not permitted list -- "In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts and halter tops are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times".

I say, let the young man wear "clean" jeans of not the baggy type, a nice button shirt and enjoy his cruise.

Jo in AZ

Dawn Princess 11/25/07.....

Golden Princess 4/26/08.....

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

Doesn't that rather depend on where "home" is? In London it would be more usual to wear a jacket and tie. In Vienna it would be taken for granted.

Matthew

Archived