Crab Legs

bUU

Many times we have had crab legs during the afternoon in the Lido, sometimes all the crab legs and jumbo shrimp you can eat. We have found lobster in the Lido on formal nights on the longer 30 day or better cruises. The same for the king crab legs.
Can someone clarify the crab legs situation for 7-10 night cruises? I understand that 30 night cruises could be quite different.

And what do you mean by "in the afternoon"? Do you mean lunch? or something else?

I remember when, on a ten day cruise, they put out a huge display of crab legs and shrimp as well as other seafood in Lido at Lunch. It was help yourself and was over the top delicious. It's been a while since I have seen that.

Sails: We saw this in March on our Veendam cruise. We are doing 10 days in Mex Riv in two weeks will let you know if we have this again. It is one of the times I really sorta pig out.

bicker: It was more of a buffet style from maybe 11am until they ran out. I really think it depends on the HotMan and the itinerary. As I said above I can let you know when I return

I hope you get to enjoy it again, Kakalina. Please do let us know. I thought we might have seen it on our 14 day Ryndam cruise but no such luck. :) You may be right that HM may influence such things.

Have a great cruise and fingers crossed you get a 'pig out' on that wonderful seafood.

Formal night is the only time I recall seeing them offered, too. And that was some years ago. I would guess it depends on the market. Some years those nice crab legs are very, very expensive ... probably outside the food budget.

We've never seen crab legs or large shrimp at lunch on any 10 day or 14 day. Crab legs on the first formal night and jumbo shrimp once or maybe twice a cruise; the rest of the time there are tiny bay shrimp only.

We have not seen it for a while, but it is GREAT! Shrimp measuring about 25-30 to the pound size and large cracked crab claws. They also had other seafood but I don't recall exactly what.......perhaps some smoked fish including scallops/white fish/sable? Very nice lunch to say the least. Hope some day you get to enjoy it. :)

I just remembered that twice on Maasdam during our Canada/New England seven day cruises, they did a beautiful seafood lunch at aft deck. They had grilled salmon cooking which was phenomenal and smoked fish platters. I don't remember exactly what other fish was offered but am very sure there was a huge bowl of large shrimp set out as well. Help yourself to as many as one wished. I know they did it August 2006 cruise as our friends were sailing the first week of our back-to-back with us and I remember them being at lunch with us enjoying it on a gorgeous summer day at aft pool. I think they also may have done it one of the weeks in June 2007.

We also had a great barbeque lunch on Maasdam in August 2007 but cannot recall if shrimp were offered. I do remember the lunch was wonderful and that time it was held at main Lido pool. I look for the grille salmon way before I look for the shrimp. I can buy bags of frozen shrimp at home and have them anytime I want.

I never do quite understand why folks clammor for 'shrimp cocktail every night' when that is about the simplest thing for them to provide for themselves at home. Go to Costco, buy a bag of shrimp, defrost them, open a jar of cocktail sauce if you don't want to make your own, cut up a lemon and there you go. Where's the treat? Something so easy and reasonably priced you can have at home with no effort and moderate price.

Yes, I agree about the Shrimp Cocktail. No one makes cocktail sauce as well as I do anyway! :)

Crab legs, though -- that's an extravagance and it is unfortunate that it is no longer routinely offered on 10 night cruises except at one formal night per cruise. :(

Thanks for the info folks.

I just remembered that twice on Maasdam during our Canada/New England seven day cruises, they did a beautiful seafood lunch at aft deck. They had grilled salmon cooking which was phenomenal and smoked fish platters. I don't remember exactly what other fish was offered but am very sure there was a huge bowl of large shrimp set out as well. Help yourself to as many as one wished. I know they did it August 2006 cruise as our friends were sailing the first week of our back-to-back with us and I remember them being at lunch with us enjoying it on a gorgeous summer day at aft pool. I think they also may have done it one of the weeks in June 2007.

We also had a great barbeque lunch on Maasdam in August 2007 but cannot recall if shrimp were offered. I do remember the lunch was wonderful and that time it was held at main Lido pool. I look for the grille salmon way before I look for the shrimp. I can buy bags of frozen shrimp at home and have them anytime I want.

I never do quite understand why folks clammor for 'shrimp cocktail every night' when that is about the simplest thing for them to provide for themselves at home. Go to Costco, buy a bag of shrimp, defrost them, open a jar of cocktail sauce if you don't want to make your own, cut up a lemon and there you go. Where's the treat? Something so easy and reasonably priced you can have at home with no effort and moderate price.

I don't understand it either, sail. I always have a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer and cocktail sauce in the fridge. I add a little horseradish, and am good to go! That with a caesar salad is a nice, light dinner....or lunch. On a cruise, I'd rather opt for things that I would not make at home.

Yes, I agree about the Shrimp Cocktail. No one makes cocktail sauce as well as I do anyway! :)

Please share your special recipe with us. I'd love to have the perfect cocktail sauce available whenever I want to whip some up.

Thanks.

Go to Costco, buy a bag of shrimp, defrost them, open a jar of cocktail sauce if you don't want to make your own, cut up a lemon and there you go.

Sail - Costco's largest bag of shrimp are simply the best! I buy them all the time and use them in salads or alone as a snack!

Please share your special recipe with us. I'd love to have the perfect cocktail sauce available whenever I want to whip some up.
It's not a recipe -- it's just chili sauce and top-quality, hot horseradish added to taste. The issue is that since I make it, I know exactly when I've added enough horseradish. :)

Oh....welll...

Thanks anyway.

That makes it 'to taste', doesn't it? :)

Sail, here's my recipe for cocktail sauce:

1 C. ketchup (or, 1/2 C. ketchup/1/2 C. chili sauce)

2 to 3 T. prepared horseradish (depending upon your taste!)

1 1/2 T. lime juice (or lemon juice)

1 T. cilantro

Freshly ground sea salt and pepper to taste.

It would be fine without the cilantro, too, if you don't care for that.

Sail, here's my recipe for cocktail sauce:

1 C. ketchup (or, 1/2 C. ketchup/1/2 C. chili sauce)

2 to 3 T. prepared horseradish (depending upon your taste!)

1 1/2 T. lime juice (or lemon juice)

1 T. cilantro

Freshly ground sea salt and pepper to taste.

It would be fine without the cilantro, too, if you don't care for that.

Sheila -

That sounds really good! I'm going to give it a try! I am always looking for new and interesting recipes and especially those that replace ones that come in jars or cans, lol!!!

Sheila -

That sounds really good! I'm going to give it a try! I am always looking for new and interesting recipes and especially those that replace ones that come in jars or cans, lol!!!

It's very good, ekerr! And very easy...give it a try!

Archived