Cruising after heart ops

SueFrankuk

I am in the process of cancelling my next two Princess druises as my husband has been in hospital for the last four weeks recevering from endocarditis and major heart surgery, there must be many of you out there that have had such problems and are still cruising, can you give me some inspiration that we will be cruising again, even with the long flights involved. what are the facilities on board to cope with these problems, sorry to be so morbid, but all looks a bleak at the moment.

Hope to hear some positive posts

thanks Sue

FWIW

In 1998 I had 3 major heart attacks which resulted in 3 stents and 50% permanent heart damage. Since then I have continued to travel extensively and even lived in the UK for 13 months. I continue to see a cardiologist every 6 months and have a stress test evey year. I am on continuing medication to both prevent (hopefully) prevent future strokes//heart attacks (Plavix), and blood pressure medicines to assure that the heart muscle does not balloon (lisinopril). My chloresterol is well under control (last check 105). I write all of this to give you some hope that there is a positive future. Good luck!!!

You don't say how old your husband is, but I can tell you that my wife had a triple bypass 11 years ago at the age of 59 and feels great. We still travel every year, driving and cruising. What keeps her away from flying is fear of flying, not her heart. I had a heart attack about 9 years ago -- we've wintered in Mexico, Florida, and California, and are looking forward to another cruise this December.

We wish you well, and hope you're soon back on the circuit.

Sue,

Four years ago, I had five bypasses and had my left carotid artery cleaned out - all with the heart beating (cheaper and less invasive!). We're leaving tomorrow for our first Panama Canal cruise. Just make sure your husband listens to his doctors and to YOU, and takes his medications. Everything will be fine.

dickmac in lockport ny

My husband had a heart attack 25 years ago and triple bypass surgery two years ago. Four months after the surgery, we flew from the US east coast to Calgary; that summer took a Greek Isle Cruise with additonal nights in Venice and Rome on our own, not a cruise package; this spring a R/T cruise to Hawaii and drove to Montreal, Quebec and Prince Edward Isle this summer. Driving to Disney World in December and taking our whole family, children and grandchildren to Disney in June. Looking at the Sea Princess New England cruise in September. With today's state-of-the-art surgeries, medication and physician monitoring, we feel traveling is part of our lives. In fact, the heart surgeon told us to keep up our trips and don't worry. We always take the Princess Insurance just in case we would need it for medical reasons. But, we don't think about it, just go and enjoy ourselves. We are always active on our cruises and land trips. Love to dance with most nights closing down the Wheelhouse Bar while many passengers half our age are in bed. Go, travel, see the world and enjoy. Remember, if you feel old, that is just what you will become!!!!!!

My mom had bypass in July, angioplasty (sp?) in October and cruised in November (several years ago). Of course this was the trip I didn't buy health insurance for (our 2nd cruise, I am wiser now). The doctor ok'd the trip in November and we went. She has continued to travel.

Prayers going to your husband. May you have many years traveling together!

I am in the process of cancelling my next two Princess druises as my husband has been in hospital for the last four weeks recevering from endocarditis and major heart surgery, there must be many of you out there that have had such problems and are still cruising, can you give me some inspiration that we will be cruising again, even with the long flights involved. what are the facilities on board to cope with these problems, sorry to be so morbid, but all looks a bleak at the moment.

Hope to hear some positive posts

thanks Sue

I went through a similar experience.

Sure, I was very upset I had my heart set on our 25th Anniversary Special Vacation, but needed to cancel since my DD was diagnosis with cancer. Under Dr's orders the surgery had to be done immediately. A year later, we took a nice cruise and been cruising ever since.

So don't give up hope even thou it seems bleak at the moment....You'll end up appreciating every cruise both of you take in the very near future.

My brother had a triple bypass and four months later, travelled to Germany to celebrate the anniversary of some invasion with his Air Force battalion. He has since gone on two cruises and is only slowing down now because of my SIL poor health.

Carpe the snot out of your diem because every day is a gift!

Charlie

Archived