Passed up two cat upgrade....was I stupid?

JHCALLAHAN

I did the same thing. I had booked an 8A and then there was a past guest special that gave me an upgrade to an 8E. I didn't want that 8E so went and looked at all the other balcony cabins that was available and asked my TA to book me an 8B full aft that was available. So for the price of an 8A guarantee I would up with the exact cabin I would have wanted if I had of booked an assigned cabin. You don't ever have to take the upgrade they offer and you can counter with a lesser cabin (on their books, but better in your eyes) without it being a problem at all.

The upper deck is my fav also. Now I don't know about being over the disco - but if you stick to the port side you don't get the noise and it is convienent to both the activities above and below.

We were offered an upgrade a couple cruises back and refused just because we had the same cabin the time before and liked our location (6335).

If you're happy where you're at then stay there.

Hmmmm. Maybe so. They just said it was "2 categories" so I assumed it was a 10 (never understood that category thing too well. Probably a newbie mistake on my part) :o They said it was on Deck 8 instead of 6.

JHC

FYI, on Carnival the number, 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, and 12 denote the type of cabin from 1, U/L bunks, to 12 a full suite. The letters denote the deck. Carnival calls a move from a 6a to a 6c an upgrade, same as they call a 8a to an 8b, c, d, e, etc. an upgrade. But if the number remains the same, so does the cabin, its just on a different deck. To me, thats no upgrade[ higher decks cost more due to maritime history ONLY] Only changes to a higher NUMBER are real upgrades. The rest is a shell game.

Dan

Yes, you're stupid!

Just kidding. I couldn't resist the opportunity to say it, though! :p

Y'all have me worried now. I booked an 8A and was given an 8G, extended balcony (deck 7 on Miracle). I suffer from motion sickness and normally have an inside, lower deck, midship.

But I'm convinced all will be well because, thanks to CC, I know now all about Ginger tablets and with a nice breeze on my extended balcony, I'll be fine!

Folks, if not for the stairs, I'd gain 10 pounds on the cruise! Stairs are our friends! About the only exercise I get all year is taking the stairs on a cruise!

You all were right (as I'm sure you knew). I just checked out the Carnival website, and no Cat 10. I also noticed no Cat 7 or 9. :confused: Wonder who dreamed up that system anyway? Think they must have had a mite too much rum.:D Or maybe they couldn't count to 10!

JHC;)

Carnival does actually have a 7s, not sure but I think its obstructed balcony on some ships. The 9s are extended balconys. Maybe you have to put in your code a certain way, or try it without a code. I have to not use a code to see the 1As, (the lowest category lol).

Thanks for all the replies! Still a newbie at this (but we sure like it!:D) and was just wondering if there was something I didn't know. Motion was not an issue on our first cruise. I usually never noticed it unless I was in bed (and it felt kinda nice) or sitting on the "throne" :p. One evening the wind was whipping it up pretty good, and every now and then you'd notice a bit of rocking, but it wasn't objectionable. DW got a bit queasy that evening, but I suspect it may have been the vanilla vodka as much or more to blame as the motion.

Thanks again for the replies. I've learned alot about cruising on this board and learning more all the time!

Fair winds,

JHC

FYI, on Carnival the number, 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, and 12 denote the type of cabin from 1, U/L bunks, to 12 a full suite. The letters denote the deck. Carnival calls a move from a 6a to a 6c an upgrade, same as they call a 8a to an 8b, c, d, e, etc. an upgrade. But if the number remains the same, so does the cabin, its just on a different deck. To me, thats no upgrade[ higher decks cost more due to maritime history ONLY] Only changes to a higher NUMBER are real upgrades. The rest is a shell game.

Dan

Not so on the spirit class ships........there will be multiple letter categories on certain decks because of the extended/non extended balconies. Sometimes a slight upgrade will get you something (extended balcony)

Not so on the spirit class ships........there will be multiple letter categories on certain decks because of the extended/non extended balconies. Sometimes a slight upgrade will get you something (extended balcony)

OK, kill me for 20 sq. ft. more balcony. The real double size balconies WILL BE SOLD.

Dan

That's right on the Spirit class it could mean an extended balcony.

On our cruise on the Conquest last month, we had cabin #6395 (8A) and thought it was just perfect. Well, we booked the same cruise this morning, and could have gotten a Cat 10 for the same price, but I've heard and read that the motion is worse higher up, and was a bit concerned about the noise as well. The PVP said the cabins were identical, so I really saw no advantage. We got 6375 this time, 7 doors from our last. We liked 6395 so well, we thought if it's not broken, don't fix it. Just curious what you more experienced cruisers think.

Happy sailing,

JHC

Hi JHC,

A 2 cat upgrade would be a Cat.8C cabin. You are better off staying with 6375 because the higher you go the more motion you will definiately feel.

I wouldn't move up unless it was a 9a - 12a cabin.

Fred

I have been on the top forward and bottom aft, middle lower and aft top. Any position is great when you cruise. It will sometime depend on the weather and the size of the ship. Your choice and price. How much time do you spend in the cabin? I do like a balcony for that morning cup or coffe before the wife gets up. What you like maybe different.

I have found smaller ships middle upper, big ships middle anywhere.

when you are cruising anywhere is great.......

Leedm

On our cruise on the Conquest last month, we had cabin #6395 (8A) and thought it was just perfect. Well, we booked the same cruise this morning, and could have gotten a Cat 10 for the same price, but I've heard and read that the motion is worse higher up, and was a bit concerned about the noise as well. The PVP said the cabins were identical, so I really saw no advantage. We got 6375 this time, 7 doors from our last. We liked 6395 so well, we thought if it's not broken, don't fix it. Just curious what you more experienced cruisers think.

Happy sailing,

JHC

Pretty much the same thing happened to me on my cruise in June. I originally booked an 8A balcony on the Main deck (deck 4) midship and then I could have upgraded for free to Deck 7 foreward I believe it was. I didn't want to be up that high and foreward in case of seasickness so I just decided to go up one deck and was able to be in the same location. If you are happy with the location that you picked, then stay with it. :)

Archived