New Queen Elizabeth

SSL

Don't hold your breath - this is just another Micky Arison chip off the block from Fincantieri

If it doesn't go down too well with Cunarders then it can always be whipped back in and have a P & O, HAL or Carnival funnel tacked on to be sent where earnings are highest.

Hmmm. another ship? What for??? They can't sell the Caribbean in the winter out of New York. Summer 08 bookings for Europe on the QV are languishing........

so that leaves transatlantics on the QM2 and the worlds.

I imagine top of a lot of wish lists would be some single cabins, but I fear we won't see those.:(

I could live with no single cabins - but a lower single supplement would be nice:rolleyes:

Otherwise, personally, it doesn't matter what she is like, what's on her, or what she is called - I won't be able to travel on her:(

Karen

When we are writing the wish list, here are some of mine:

Please give her a good traditional look and feel inside and outside -

- give her a classic stern like the QE2 has, with pools and other public spaces not private balconies,

- let the interior relive the great ocean liners (we have enough modern ships in all the cruise lines)

- offer single seating dinning for more guests than on QM2 and QV, if not for all, at least for half of them

- offer more spaces in the Grills, also in combination with normal cabins (there are guests who choose P or Q grade for the restaurants not for the size of the cabin)

- bathtubs in all cabins

- single cabins

- a friendly late night venue (not the cold, metallic G32)

- make sure there are enough staff and staff accomodation...

Well, these are the wishes that came to my mind first.

Good List Carl. Can I add decent power plant to the list - something that can sustain a Cruising speed (QE2/QM2) rather than pedalo speed (QV). I think its sad that the QV will carry out most Med Cruises from European Ports rather than her home port of Southampton and can only assume it's because the slow speed of the QV means it takes too long to get there.

Cunard ordering a new ship...

Cunard to Build 'Queen Elizabeth' ...

Furthermore, we are delighted that Her Majesty The Queen has given her blessing to our calling this new Cunarder 'Queen Elizabeth', after our first vessel of that name."

Queen Elizabeth will fly the Red Ensign with her home-port Southampton, as is the case with the other ships in the Cunard fleet.

Well, if Ms. Marlow says so now, perhaps it will be ... and the ship will be a build looking like what is being built these days. What laymen "want" won't come into play here, but I would like the ship named for HM The Queen.

Oh, I know all the stories, but say the first ship was named for the then Queen Consort, the second ship named after the first ship; then this new ship could be named another Queen Elizabeth as planned ... or named for the Queen Regnant.

What say?

Don't hold your breath - this is just another Micky Arison chip off the block from Fincantieri

If it doesn't go down too well with Cunarders then it can always be whipped back in and have a P & O, HAL or Carnival funnel tacked on to be sent where earnings are highest.

Perhaps they could do this with the Victoria - its already the right shape. Make the new QE another unique ship- it will then, like the QE2 become a destination in it's own right

PB

Given the fall 2010 launch date, I calculate that the keel laying will be around January 09. This gives about 14 months for design which is not enough lead time for a unique vessel such as QM2. Unless there is a design that has been under lock and key my educated guess is that QE will be another off the shelf Vista class vessel. It is a shame that QE2 was sold lock, stock and barrel. The new Cunard officals give lip service that Cunard is the “brand with heritage.” It would nice to see some of the heritage pieces (e.g. Queen Mary piano on QE2) over to the new builds.

I would especially love if the QE2 whistle was put in place on her new namesake. As with QM2 what a fitting tribute that would be!!

would especially love if the QE2 whistle was put in place on her new namesake. As with QM2 what a fitting tribute that would be!
!

I agree, the new Elizabeth should have one of the QEll's whistles as the QM2 has one of Mary's.

A wonderful tribute to their grand predecessors.

Betsy

When Carol Marlow was talking on QE2's 40th Birthday Voyage, and she got to the subject of "another ship", I got the feeling she wanted to tell us something but could not. Now I know why.

This is great news, lets hope there are single cabins. Or at least that with three ships in the fleet, they are not full so Cunard decide to sell some cabins for singles at a reasonble rate.

!

I agree, the new Elizabeth should have one of the QEll's whistles as the QM2 has one of Mary's.

Betsy

Only if the ship warranted it and could do it justice.

You wouldn't carry gold in a puffer! :)

David

!

Betsy

That would be nice to hear - but please - not just one. Both.

Matthew

It does seem like another pretty large ship--would be nice to have a small Cunarder that could get into smaller ports. Still, I think growth is a good thing and I'm excited that they're adding another ship to the fleet.

I agree with the idea of having some variety in cabins configuration. It can't be that hard to sell them. Two-bedroom suites (not necessarily P or Q class, but they could be) would be a nice addition for families and/or groups, and single cabins would probably mean single folks would sail more often.

I'm hoping this will open up more variety of itineraries. Would love to have a Cunard ship in the Pacific more regularly.

Only if the ship warranted it and could do it justice.

You wouldn't carry gold in a puffer! :)

David

That's your vote for the whistle staying in Dubai then.

Of course the new ship won't measure up to the legacy of Queen Elizabeth 2, however good it is in itself, but surely the chance to hear those wonderful whistles would be good - on anything (providing it is a Cunarder)?

Matthew

This is great news, lets hope there are single cabins. Or at least that with three ships in the fleet, they are not full so Cunard decide to sell some cabins for singles at a reasonble rate.

I think that this is probably the biggest thing that Cunard need to address.

Travelling as a single is always expensive - but doing it with a 175%/200% mark up is even worse.

But it is the Mary I'd like to see decked out with single cabins - I am more likely to do a transatlantic solo than a cruise.

But that's just me.

Matthew

That's your vote for the whistle staying in Dubai then.

Of course the new ship won't measure up to the legacy of Queen Elizabeth 2, however good it is in itself, but surely the chance to hear those wonderful whistles would be good - on anything (providing it is a Cunarder)?

Matthew

I was delighted when the QM whistle was tranferred to QM2, but she is a liner and is capable of carrying on the Transatlantic tradition. I would be equally pleased to see the QE2 whistle on QE in similar circumstances.

There are many who would hear the whistle and in there mind's eye see QE2, only for reality to invade as the vista unfolds!

Who knows, perhaps the bean counters will make us all happy and create another transatlantic liner with the character to live and be loved for 40 years.

David

Who knows, perhaps the bean counters will make us all happy and create another transatlantic liner with the character to live and be loved for 40 years.

David

Money men? Hearts?

Never.

We're lucky to have one liner left.

However, it is a wonderful dream.

Matthew

That would be nice to hear - but please - not just one. Both.

Matthew

You wouldn't want The QEll to keep one? I'm glad Mary still has one of hers, it's her voice and I LOVE to hear it come from her.

I know, I know I'm weird :p

Betsy

You wouldn't want The QEll to keep one? I'm glad Mary still has one of hers, it's her voice and I LOVE to hear it come from her.

I know, I know I'm weird :p

Betsy

They work as a pair best. Unless, of course, one is a direct copy.

How often do they sound it on the Mary?

Matthew

Good to see the BBC have done their research. This is what I pay my license fee for :rolleyes:

Shipping firm Cunard also operates the QE2 liner, which will leave service next year, making this newer vessel the largest of a three-ship fleet.

Hmmm. another ship? What for??? They can't sell the Caribbean in the winter out of New York. Summer 08 bookings for Europe on the QV are languishing........

so that leaves transatlantic on the QM2 and the worlds.

Slightly off tangent, but I was hoping that Cunard/Carnival would, in 2009, sync up a couple of the TA voyages of QM2 with the QV in Europe so I could spend the best part of a month round trip from NY to Europe and back. (Hopefully. . . more than wishful thinking . . . :) )

Archived