Princess Florida Cruisers

drpack

I was wondering how the people from Florida get to Port Everglades? We use to take the Cruise Connection bus. It was kind of a hassle because one of our friends had to get up early in the morning to drop us off at the pickup site. The bus always makes several stops and also stops for breakfast for about 20 minutes. By the time we arrived at the port, the lines were always pretty long so we usually didn't get on the ship until after 1:30 pm.

When Cruise Connection nearly doubled the price a few years ago, we started driving and parking at the port. We leave Leesburg the day before and spend the night in a hotel within an hour of the port. The next morning we sleep in, have breakfast and still arrive at the port around 10:30 am. By having our own car at the port we were able to depart the port much sooner after the cruise.

We've been parking at the port. I know it's cheaper to park at one of the parking areas around the airport, but I didn't think it was worth the hassle of getting back and forth from the port just to save $20-$25.

I've heard some people talk about renting a car, dropping it off and getting a free ride to the port from the rental car agency. They do the same thing on the return trip. On a seven day cruise there really isn't any savings over driving my car and parking at the port.

I was wondering what method other Floridians use and if you’ve found a better or less expensive way.

For those of you who live outside of Florida, please take it easy on the flaming. I know many of you get up very early in the morning to drive to the airport where you spend countless hours at the airport and on planes. Also there's the problem with TSA and the luggage restrictions. I really do feel for you and consider myself lucky that I don't have to fly to the port. If it makes you feel any better, I will be moving out of Florida next year and will get to share in your travel frustrations in the future.

Personally, I don't mind taking the Cruise Connection bus. I'd rather have someone else do the driving. Besides, with gas prices these days, I don't think I'd save much between the gas and parking. Maybe $30 or so. For that little, I'll leave the hassle to someone else! Yes, it does stop a couple of times, but I usually need to stretch by then.

I can't imagine the you'd save much money by renting a car each way over parking at the airport or pier. The only other thing I'd suggest is staying at a hotel that lets you leave your car for the duration of the cruise. I don't think it's free anymore, but Amerisuites will let you park. It's close to the port, they have shuttle to take you there. They were very kind to my inlaws when they stayed there...gave them a ride to a local restaurant and went back for them after they ate (mom was disabled).

We don't live in FL. but in GA. My Aunt lives in Leesburg. We usually drive to Leesburg,visit with her, then leave early in the morning of the cruise and drive to port. As you know ,about 4 to 5 hrs to So. Fl, less to others. Have used off site parking in FT. Lauderdale as cruise was 14 days and offsite parking was about $6 per nite. Bill

I'm another rider of the"Love Boat Express", and cannot imagine driving to FLL myself.

My reasons: #1 - distance; #2 - hassle; #3 - inconvenience; #4 - unfamiliarity with So. FL; #5 - cost of gas and parking.

It's so nice to just show up at the pick-up point, and let the driver stow my luggage, get aboard and sit in a comfortable seat with a nice big window right beside me so I can watch the scenery go whizzing past. Midway on the ride, a stop is made for restroom / coffee break. The driver knows their way around the port, drives me right up to the appropriate terminal, he / she unloads my luggage and turns it over to the pier porters, while I make my way into the terminal for check-in. How much better does it get than that?

I have an old friend who lives about 15 minutes from the port. We drive to his house and he drops us off at the port. When we return, as were exiting the ship we call him,by the time we find our luggage he is arriving the port.

I have tried the rental car method,the shuttles from airport is ok for ship departure,but does not run early am when ship returns,so you have to pay a taxi or shuttle to airport.

We live straight across Alligator Alley and we always drive over to the port. It has become a little pricy to park in the port garage, but we figure it into our cruise budget so it does not come as a shock.:eek: So we just gather up the luggage, grab a porter to take me to the pick-up area, DH goes to get car, picks me up and we are back home in 2 1/2 hours!:)

Fortunately, since we do not fly I have no luggage restrictions....even though DH does try to tell me I don't need 20 pairs of shoes, 20 outfits, for a 7 day cruise!!:D

since it's just 2 of us and hate the idea of leaving before daylight. Some times we stay in Miami Beach at a family apt the night before and other times just go directly to the pier. We are taking the bus this time and they changed pick up time to 7:30 from 5 am. I don't think that there is any $ savings but will see how it works out. We usually have 3 or 4 liquor boxes beside our normal luggage. There are 20 from out community and another 20 from the one across the road and they will pick up at a central location for each.

We liked taking the Cruise Connection bus when it was $25pp RT from JAX. We were the first pick up at 6 AM. The worst part was getting to the pick up point, but once there we settled back, watched a movie or read.

Then the price was almost 3X! We still took the bus, better than driving and easier than flying with restrictions on luggage contents.

Now, the Love Boat Express doesn't come to JAX anymore, so we must drive. We go down a day early and leave the car at the hotel per a pre-arranged agreement. It works well, costs less than the parking garage for 10+ day cruises, and the hotel gives us breakfast and shuttles us to the port.

We usually rent a car from Key West. If we go to the airport to reserve it, we only pay $19.95 one way. Then when we retur, we pick up another rental car to get home. When we lived in Sebring we used Cruise Connection and loved it. One time we drove our own car and parked it at the Park n Ride on Eller Dr for $10 per day.

We've driven the 2 hours across Alligator Alley in the past. When we sail from Miami we get free parking with the handicapped tags. Not so in FLL. Since there are 16 of us, I checked into our own bus. Comes out to about $82 per couple, about $20 more than we had figured for parking and gas, (2 couples per car). All but one couple lives in the same community so the bus will come here to pick us up. No one has to drive and we can all relax.

Don't like the idea of leaving my car at a Mc Donald's or Burger King for a week or asking someone to get up so early to take me to the pick up point for Cruise Connection. Then you have to wait until the bus is filled before you start home again.

I had too many years of flying to the port and schlepping on and off buses. Of course that will happen again on our Alaska cruise next year.:mad:

Why not call a cab to take you to the pick up point for Cruise Connection instead of inconveniencing a friend.

What we do is drive to the pick up point and then have a relative come and take the car home for us later in the day. On the return trip they bring the car back at their convenience and leave it for us to drive home.

It sounds like everyone has their own way to get to the port. The idea about a taxi to the pickup point would even make the bus trip more expensive for us. We live at least 15 miles from the pick up. On our last trip we drove to Palm Beach Gardens the day before. We stayed in a nice hotel and it took about an hour the next morning to get to the port. The cost for the gas, tolls, hotel and parking were less than what a taxi and the bus would have cost.

We feel our car is much more comfortable than the bus. I drive right up to the porter's station were they unload our luggage for us. The parking garage is just across the street from the ship. It takes about 5 minutes to drop off the luggage, park the car and walk to the terminal. On the return trip, the porter takes our bags right to the car, loads it and off we go. By the time the bus gets to the port and loads up, we are already several hours up the road.

I guess another reason we don't take the bus is because my DW had a bad experience on our last bus trip. We were the first people in line to get on the bus on the return trip. Just as my DW was starting to enter the bus, a women ran up and pushed her out of the way nearly knocking her down. She was in a party of 6-8 people and she wanted to get on the bus ASAP so she could reserve the seats they wanted. It was to say the least, a rather long and uncomfortable ride on the way back.

We live near the turnpike so we only have to go through one traffic light all the way the FLL. It takes us about 4 hours to get to the port. We still might drive down the day before and stay at Palm Beach Gardens again. I make ridiculously low bids on Priceline and if they happen to bite, we get to stay at a nice hotel for a great price. On our last trip, we stayed at the Double Tree for around $50.

We drive. Flying would cost as much b/c you'd have to add in the airport parking fee.

Its USUALLY not a hassle, but for our Dec cruise we've booked ourselves on a tight schedule. We drive to Virginia the day after the cruise to meet up w/ family, so we're driving across Florida and dropping our beloved dog at a dog hotel near 95 and then we're driving to Fort Lauderdale. After the cruise, it's dog pickup and then drive straight onto Virginia. Merry Christmas! :)

Back years ago I had a friend in Miami, so we'd drive down and stay there overnight and he'd transport us to and from the port.

These days we just drive down the morning of departure. I live on the northeast side of Orlando, so as long as we're driving by 9:30, we get to FLL around 1:30 or 2:00. I underestimated the drive to Miami in April and was a little stressed out by the time we got there.

Last time we sailed from FLL we used the Park n Fly on Eller. HAL gave us a discount coupon, and it was $60 for the week. It was just a major hassle getting the six of my family back to the lot. This time I think we will park at the port, even if it's a little more expensive. It's worth eliminating part of the schlep factor.

In April we sailed on the Century and parked *right there*. It was cool seeing my truck from my balcony the morning we arrived back in Miami. The only thing was the cash-up-front parking fee. I had done my research and I thought I'd told my mom and aunt (who drove separately) but I guess they forgot. They were scrambling to come up with the $60 cash.

Great thread! Can't wait to go again!

We like the drive and the convenience of parking at the port, right across the street from the ship. We really like the idea of having the car in a secure lot of the level they have at the port, covered and handy when we walk off our bags after the cruise. If we went there every day it would be different but that convenience is hard to beat.

I live in Jax and driving straight through it would take about 6 hours to reach the port. I like to mix it up. Sometimes we drive to Cocoa Beach the day before, spend the night there and then head to Port Everglades on the day of sailing. Other times we drive the entire distance the day before.

All times, we park in the garage at the port as I find this most convenient upon disembarkation. The porter drops the luggage at the curb while I go get our car. I then can load up the vehicle (I have found our bags go in best a certain way, so having someone else doing it would not be a benefit).

Once the porter brought our bags to the car directly. It hasn't happened since, but on our recent cruise I notice a few porters doing this, so maybe if you offer enough of a tip they will do this.

The only exception to this would be if you you are taking one of the Coral partial transit cruises. When we did this, we left from one dock (the traditional Princess terminal 2) but returned to another dock. We then had to take a shuttle back to terminal 2. Not the most pleasant/organized experience. If we do that itinerary again and there is a potential for the same situation I may research my options.

Joanne, that how we felt this year, when we had to fly to Seattle.

We are spoiled because we live about a half hour north of the port. We used to drive ourselves and park in the parking garage. But the last four years we've been using airport express. We get a town car, they pick us up at the door at whatever time we specify. We call them we get back to the port and they pick us up. $45 r/t plus tip is what it has been costing us.

It is definitely easier to park right at Port Everglades than elsewhere. You'll save a few bucks at Park N Fly (which has a nice facility) or the grungy-looking places just north off of US1, but the extra time involved both coming and going didn't seem to be worth it to us.

Do prepare yourselves for a traffic backup entering the port due to the security checks--for us it has been a 10-15 minute delay.

Les

We always arrive around 10:30 am. We've have never had any traffic backups. I'm always surprised that there are already several hundred people there ahead of us. Even so, we're always on the ship within 15 minutes after they start boarding, usually around noon.

Archived