Can you explain price difference? Voyager

Can you explain why the Voayager cost for the same cabin is so hugely different?

Voyager O/S 3-16-08 $12,471.76

Voyager O/S 3-15-09 $ 7,152.48

We are currently booked for the 2009 sailing and were looking to change to a 2008 sailing but I cannot fathom why the 2008 cruise would be $5319.28 higher :eek: for the same cabin catagory. Both sailings are from Galveston to the Western Carribbean during spring break. Am I missing something? The above prices are for a party of 4. :confused:

Can you explain why the Voayager cost for the same cabin is so hugely different?

We are currently booked for the 2009 sailing and were looking to change to a 2008 sailing but I cannot fathom why the 2008 cruise would be $5319.28 higher :eek: for the same cabin catagory. Both sailings are from Galveston to the Western Carribbean during spring break. Am I missing something? The above prices are for a party of 4. :confused:

Just a guess, but usually, it is supply and demand. This time of year as well could be when holiday's (Easter) fall. Spring break for the College crowd is a lot longer than for school-age children, so if it falls either the week before or after Easter, that could account for some of the difference in price. Sorry, not sure when Easter falls either year, but this may have something to do with it.

Just checked - the 2008 sailing only has 1 OS left while the 2009 sailing has 7 left....Supply and demand......

Deb

I guess that it is a major spring break week and the prices always jump when school's out and it's a popular week. That's one of the rewards for having my child graduate HS last week... I no longer have to travel during the most expensive periods of each year... and it's quite a savings!

Explorer of the Seas

12 day southern Caribbean from Bayonne, New Jersey

departing 12/23/07

booked in June 2006 - Grand Suite for 3: ~$6000

if you had wanted to book this cabin which I gave up on September 23, 2007, it would have cost you $10,000.

And someone DID grab it for that price! :eek:

Closer to sailing date, fewer cabins or at least fewer suites, demand increases, price goes up.

Can you explain why the Voyager cost for the same cabin is so hugely different?

Go ahead; track this cruise until October 2008, and see what has happened to that $7,152 suite!

Easter 2008 falls on 3/23/08 which is the day the 3/16/08 cruise returns and can thus affect the pricing (Holiday prices) as well as the fact that we are now only 5 months from that sail date (the whole supply and demand thingie).

Easter 2009 is not until 4/11/09 so the cruise date of 3/15/09 is not a holiday cruise and the pricing will be lower in addition to the fact that we are over a year out and pricing is still pretty good. As others have said, try to book the 2009 cruise 5 months prior and you will see much higher pricing than you do right now!

We have sailed over spring break for the past 2 years out of Galveston on Rhapsody. We have always waited until December or January to book for the third week in March and have never had a problem. I can't believe the prices this year; they are double what we are used to paying--we may not be going this time if the prices don't come down! I don't know if it is the difference in the ship or what is making the prices so high this year but I hope the price drops back to a reasonable level so we can go.

Thanks for the imput. We checked and it was cheaper for us to fly to FLL and cruise the Liberty of the Seas in an O/S than drive to Galveston and sail the Voyager in an O/S. :) At those prices, I will gladly sail on the Liberty!

Enjoy! You will love the Liberty :)

We have sailed over spring break for the past 2 years out of Galveston on Rhapsody. We have always waited until December or January to book for the third week in March and have never had a problem. I can't believe the prices this year; they are double what we are used to paying--we may not be going this time if the prices don't come down! I don't know if it is the difference in the ship or what is making the prices so high this year but I hope the price drops back to a reasonable level so we can go.

The problem this year is Easter is the 3rd week of March (much earlier than normal). A lot more schools will have spring break that week as many schools tie their spring break to Easter. That is a major reason why prices are higher that week.

Explorer of the Seas

12 day southern Caribbean from Bayonne, New Jersey

departing 12/23/07

booked in June 2006 - Grand Suite for 3: ~$6000

if you had wanted to book this cabin which I gave up on September 23, 2007, it would have cost you $10,000.

And someone DID grab it for that price! :eek:

Closer to sailing date, fewer cabins or at least fewer suites, demand increases, price goes up.

Exactly what I was going to say. We have a JS on Liberty for 08. I found out we have a MAJOR schedule conflict (daughter's first communion :eek: ) that week. I tried everything to switch it around but it would have cost THOUSANDS more just to move it a few weeks in any direction. I booked this a while ago and the price just keeps going up and up.

(As a side note, believe it or not, the priest understood and said we can have her first communion when we get back...lol. God forgive me...lol) ;)

How did you check this?

Act like you are booking the cruise for 2 people on RCCL's website. When you get to the category page, select the category you are interested in. If there are less than 5 staterooms showing, then those are the only staterooms left in that category. RCCL's website shows 5 staterooms at a time, if 5 are showing there are at least 5 staterooms left in that category (and frequently more).

Archived