Which cruise line is 2nd to RCCL in your opinion-or equal?

3redheads

If you couldn't sail RCCL, which line would you sail if you had kids? Rule out Disney since the kids are 9 and 14.

Of the line you choose, do you have a particular ship which you enjoyed?

I look forward to reading the responses!

:D

Thanks in advance!

I would love to hear what people say about this also. At this point I've been spoiled..........don't think any other cruise line will compare. However, we want to schedule a Hawaiian cruise for next year and RCCL seems to only cruise there in October. We'll have to decide whether or not to wait.

If you couldn't sail RCCL, which line would you sail if you had kids? Rule out Disney since the kids are 9 and 14.

Thanks in advance!

Why are you ruling out Disney?

I haven't cruised with kids for years but have heard that Carnival has a good kids progrm.

My only experience is with RCCL and Carnival. I have no hesitation suggesting Carnival, especially if one is sailing with kids. My own experience is that Carnival currently has better food overall and generally a more energetic atmosphere. Can't say that I'm a big fan of the ships' decor, but it is bright and somewhat cheerful.

Had I not read some recent posts of guest issues on the Elation I'd recommend the ship. Perhaps if it were sailing a different itinerary it would be a good bet. I know I loved the ship when I sailed a Caribbean route last year.

I have also wondered the same thing.....we are THINKING about MAYBE trying another cruise line, DH's idea. We have 3 kids (13,14,17) and we have also heard that Princess may be a good one to try! I have heard really great things about them from some of our friends. We shall see....

A NEWER Carnival ship. Camp Carnival has an excellant program that I feel rivals any other. My kids LOVE camp Carnival.

But I won't pay the prices for a newer Carnival ship and miss going on a newer RCCL ship. ;) And I am done, for now, with the cheaper Carnival ships.

My vote is for princess...BUT only if you are going to cruise on Spring or Winter break.

We sailed spring break and the staff told us that they had to bring on more camp staff because there are usually very few kids and they don't need the staff.

When we sailed there were tons of kids and the children's program was a good one.

Also - loved anytime dining. JMHO.

I would consider the Carnival Victory. They had a really nice kids' program when we went to Canada this summer. Also the Fascination just underwent a major refurb if you are looking at a shorter cruise.

NCL is excellent for kids. We really enjoyed our cruise on the Dawn. HTH

The only other cruise line we'd consider (our kids are 15 and 13) is Princess, although like another poster, we don't like personal choice dining. We'd also like to sail on Celebrity, however they don't do the Caribbean during the summer when we can sail, and their other itineraries are too expensive.

We tried Carnival, on a newer ship. Service was appauling and the ship's layout was so awkward. We wouldn't sail Carnival again if it were free, it was that bad.

Thanks in advance!

If I was to sail with two kids ages 9 & 14, I'd probably pick one of the larger NCL ships or a larger Carnival ship first and Princess as a second or third choice over RCL.

We have sailed NCL 8 times so far, Carnival 3 times and Princess twice (have also saile Celebrity 4 times and RCL twice).

First of all, we do not sail with kids. My ranking is stickly from what we have gleaned from families on the ships we've sailed and ranked by an over-all cruise experience for both parents and kids.

NCL offers Freestyle dining, meaning you do not have a set dinner time at a set table each night which allows you the option to dine late or early in the main dining rooms or opt out to dine in the buffet or in several different specialty restaurants on the newer ships like Star, Gem, Pearl, Dawn or Jewel.

In the 8 cruises we've had with NCL so far we have heard few derogatory comments about the kids club or teen club activites on board these larger ships and the varied dining options on these larger ships allows families to dine where they want during the dinner hour.

Carnival wins my vote for the best pizza afloat and have heard good things about the teen and kids clubs on Carnival's Conquest and Spirit class ships as well. Food quality in Carnival's main dining rooms is (in my opinion) as good or even better than most of the lines we've sailed so far.

Princess has an anytime dining option which should be good for families. The newer ships have Movies Under the Stars up on the pool decks which is like taking your family to a drive-in movie on a moving cruise ship. Sweet! Movies are also shown on the pool deck during daytime hours which is a good plus.

RCL has a lot to offer kids the age you have on the newer ships like rock climbing walls, skating rinks, etc. as well as extra dining options geared for kids' tastes. Some of those dining options come with an extra cost, however.

Of the five main line cruise lines DH and I have traveled so far, RCL gets the vote for the most lack luster main dining room menu so far. And the fact that RCL does not offer a freestyle dining option for families like Princess or RCL is a downer to me if I was traveling with a pre-teen or teenager.

that's my 2 cents worth and all I have to say about that.:D

Dianne

Princess would be my first choice. Carnival would be my last. I still have visions of banjos and overalls dancing in my head on ships that look like they were decorated by someone on a bad acid trip. If you can handle that then go for it. Carnival is usually cheap for a reason. Princess has a lot to offer including a good kids program.

The only other cruise line we'd consider (our kids are 15 and 13) is Princess, although like another poster, we don't like personal choice dining. We'd also like to sail on Celebrity, however they don't do the Caribbean during the summer when we can sail, and their other itineraries are too expensive.

We tried Carnival, on a newer ship. Service was appauling and the ship's layout was so awkward. We wouldn't sail Carnival again if it were free, it was that bad.

Sorry to hear you didn't like your Carnival cruise. We once said we would never try Carnival but decided to try it last November. We were pleasantly surpised with our cruise. We cruised the Valor out of of Miami on a 7 night cruise. Booked the same itinerary on the Valor for Aprill last year and took the Legend in between those two cruises to St. Kitts, St. Maarten and St. Lucian on the Legend. We're booked on the Miracle in January for the same itinerary we had on the Legend last January.

DH & I love sea days and would probably not book a cruise to either Bahamas or Bermuda on any cruise ship.

Thought the food in the dining rooms on our 3 Carnival cruises was as equal to the quality of the cruises we've had on Princess and Celebrity and far above what we have had on our RCL cruises.

Our opinion of a great cruise is not going to be the same as the tastes of others. That's why it is a good thing that there are many options of cruise lines and ships out there to satisfy the tastes and wants of the cruising public.:D

Dianne

Sorry to hear you didn't like your Carnival cruise. We once said we would never try Carnival but decided to try it last November. We were pleasantly surpised with our cruise. We cruised the Valor out of of Miami on a 7 night cruise. Booked the same itinerary on the Valor for Aprill last year and took the Legend in between those two cruises to St. Kitts, St. Maarten and St. Lucian on the Legend. We're booked on the Miracle in January for the same itinerary we had on the Legend last January.

DH & I love sea days and would probably not book a cruise to either Bahamas or Bermuda on any cruise ship.

Thought the food in the dining rooms on our 3 Carnival cruises was as equal to the quality of the cruises we've had on Princess and Celebrity and far above what we have had on our RCL cruises.

Our opinion of a great cruise is not going to be the same as the tastes of others. That's why it is a good thing that there are many options of cruise lines and ships out there to satisfy the tastes and wants of the cruising public.:D

Dianne

Here are some specifics to support my displeasure with Carnival:

Our main issue was poor service. Our wait team was responsible 6 large tables of 8-12 people each, so no matter how hard they tried, they could not give the same type of attentive service we get on RCI or any other line. (The most I've ever seen the wait team on other lines have is 2 large and 1 small table. On Explorer in 2003, our team had 2 large tables. Same on AOS in 2004. On Mariner in 2006, our large table of 12 was our waiter's only table. In 2007, the team had one table for 2, one for 6 and one for 8.) They were able to anticipate our every need, even before we asked. On Carnival, our water/ice tea glasses weren't refilled automatically, and when we asked, it took 15 minutes minimum for them to grant our request. Same if we asked for an extra fork, grated cheese for our pasta, more bread, etc. We were told on Carnival that if we wanted seconds, we needed to order it upfront because otherwise the waiters wouldn't be able to run down to the galley to get more during the meal. Same if we thought we might not like a dish - order a second entree upfront, so that you'll have both at the same time in case you don't like one. That's unacceptable! The cabin steward also had about twice as many cabins as the typical RCI steward, so service was lacking there too. We were told by the employees themselves, as well as by ship's officers, that this is a typical workload for them.

Granted, we sail during the summer holidays when the ships are at capacity, but we were packed into that dining room, and around the pool, like sardines on Miracle. The waiter had no room to maneuver around the tables, and kept pushing our chairs in VERY tightly and passing hot dishes over our heads.

Our second issue is that the Lido buffet is between the pool and the aft bank of elevators. So, there is through-traffic of sunbathers, in various states of wetness and undress, walking through the dining area while you are eating. It was grossly unsanitary and unappetizing.

Another issue: The kids club was in the very front of a passenger deck (deck 5, I think, through a long corridor of cabins), and not out in the public areas like on the sports or pool decks. It was difficult to get to, and underutilized, especially by older children/tweens. This left a large number of children without something to positively occupy them during the day. My own kids were bored to death on this ship.

The adult pool is out in the open sun without any shaded areas. My elderly mother cannot tolerate the sun, so she couldn't enjoy sitting out by the pool.

Whomever designed the layout of this ship didn't consider important issues such as the above. As well, the ship was VERY smoky - the odor of stale cigarettes wafted through the passageways and came into our cabin via the ventilation system. Mainenance told us that this wasn't a problem with our cabin, that's how all the cabins are.

These are only a few examples...I could go on and on with more, but I think the point has been made why we wouldn't sail Carnival again, even if it were free.

In my opinion both RCCL and Carnival have great programs for kids and are similiar cruise lines.

We were on the Crown Princess last year and to us, well, we just didnt care for Princess. It was a beautiful boat though.

Liberty OS 12/07

Crown Princess 12/06

Carnival Liberty 12/05

Mariner OS 12/04

Radiance OS 12/03

Carnival Imagination 12/02

Archived