HELP - 1 Day in St. Petersburg

Mrs007

We will be sailing on the Royal Pacific transatlantic in March, 2008. I am so excited that St. Petersburg is one of our ports. Unfortunately, it is only for one day :( . 7:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. So, I have some decisions to make and some questions to ask.

First - I see on DenRus's custom excursion option page that it shows Peterhof closed on Monday :eek: Yikes, that is the day we will be there - Monday May 19th. Does that mean just the Palace or are Monplesier and the Fountains and grounds closed as well??

Second - I know that Peterhof and Catherine's Palace are in opposite directions, but I did want to see the Amber Room.

Would it be feasable to get to Catherine's Palace and just do the Peterhof Fountain Park (if it is open) and still have time to stop at St. Isaac's Cathedral and Spilled Blood Cathedral??

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Linda

First tip you will it will be cold in St Petersburg in May!!! So pack for accordingly!!!

Yes, your intinerary is feasible but you'll need to book a private guide and taxi. That shouldn't be difficult because May is off season.

Now, I am very curious, you set out in March but arrive in St Petersburg in May. Are your stopping off somewhere for an extended period or on the slow boat to Russia?

Must be the slow boat you refer to - leaves Ft. Lauderdale, FL, transatlantic, Spain, UK, France, Amsterdam, Helsinki, then St. Petersburg, Tallin and dock at Stockholm.

Glad to hear what I want to see is feasible, but do you know if Peterhof is "open" on Monday's??? or fountains working on Monday's???

Peterhoff often opens up on Mondays for cruise ships. Not sure what determines when they open (how many ships in port, ec..) but I do know several who visited in peak summer months and they did open for the ships.

This varies every year but the fountains generally don't start until the end of May. Also, when the fountains turn on, it is usually after 11 am. IMO - skip Monplaisir Palace - it isn't that great. The Grand Palace is much nicer at Peterhoff.

I personally would do Peterhoff or Catherine's Palace (just one) and then do items in DT St. Petersburg such as Church of the Spilled Blood, Isaac's Cathedral, walk around the Hermitage/Winter Palace, and maybe a river cruise in the evening.

Peterhoff often opens up on Mondays for cruise ships. Not sure what determines when they open (how many ships in port, ec..) but I do know several who visited in peak summer months and they did open for the ships.

This varies every year but the fountains generally don't start until the end of May. Also, when the fountains turn on, it is usually after 11 am. IMO - skip Monplaisir Palace - it isn't that great. The Grand Palace is much nicer at Peterhoff.

I personally would do Peterhoff or Catherine's Palace (just one) and then do items in DT St. Petersburg such as Church of the Spilled Blood, Isaac's Cathedral, walk around the Hermitage/Winter Palace, and maybe a river cruise in the evening.

I agree with Coral. Choose between Peterhof or Catherine's Palace, but don't do both. Church on the Spilled Blood and Hermitage are "must sees." Hermitage is also closed on Mondays. However, you can visit museums or palaces on the days they are closed if you join certain cruise ship excursions. I visited Hermitage on a Monday through a cruise ship shore excursion. Check with your cruise line.

Archived