Recent Mexican Riviera Cruise on Dawn??

Murphey

The second group is coming back tomorrow. Maybe someone will post something then. There has been nothing posted about the 30 Sept cruise which was the first out of San Diego to MR this year. I'm very interested as we are on the 21 Oct Dawn cruise a week from tomorrow. There's not a review or anything so far that I've seen.

I was on the first Mexican Riviera cruise that left SD 9/30. Muster was at about 4:30 since the ship was a bit late departing. The ship was in good shape. I did not care for the food but certainly didn't starve. We had a balcony cabin on Baja deck and the cabins were about the smallest I have ever been in but this is also a smaller ship than we usually take. Nice mix of people. Service was great and crew extremely friendly. I did not care for the ports and much prefer the Caribbean. That being said, I couldn't have had a better time. What's not to like? We were on a ship, being catered to, relaxing, etc so regardless of the what I liked and didn't like, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I don't recall the captains name. I think the cruise director was Gavin although I don't pay much attention to that so I'm not positive. The entertainment was mostly the production shows which were very good. They had a few comedians too. One of the shows was an oldies group and again, I can't recall the name (losing my mind I guess) but they put on a terrific show which we thoroughly enjoyed. One of my traveling companions was in the passenger talent show too! Good entertainment in the Wheelhouse lounge too.

More- There was never a problem getting a lounge chair but that may have been because it was almost too hot to sit in the sun until the last day when it was quite chilly. Shopping at these ports really wore me down with bargaining. The ship was late arriving in San Diego for the repositioning so Princess checked in our luggage and provided shuttle busses to take us to San Diego sights. I started a thread about the self debarkation mess if you want to read that. La Scala pizzeria is wonderful. Internet connections pretty fast for a cruise ship.

Food- This is the third Princess ship I have been on (15 cruises altogether) and the buffet was the same confused mess as the others. Rather than one single line, they have it set up so there are different items on both sides with islands in the middle. People are walking in every direction and it's quite disorganized. I try not to judge the food by my taste as I'm a pretty plain eater and don't like things out of the ordinary. However, my husband and our 2 traveling companions all like gourmet/fancier foods and none of them were impressed by the food. The menus have been changed and two of the nights there was nothing that appealed to any of us. There are always the standard "always available" items like steak and chicken and there are the usual vegetarian and dietetic items. Needless to say, we didn't starve!

I don't recall the captains name. I think the cruise director was Gavin although I don't pay much attention to that so I'm not positive. The entertainment was mostly the production shows which were very good. They had a few comedians too. One of the shows was an oldies group and again, I can't recall the name (losing my mind I guess) but they put on a terrific show which we thoroughly enjoyed. One of my traveling companions was in the passenger talent show too! Good entertainment in the Wheelhouse lounge too.

Good to hear your thoughts... the good, the bad, the ugly, LOL. I'll be on the Dawn next month,and it's our first cruise... so I want to have realistic expectations, kwim?

Just remember that everyone on this site has their own opinion. Others may have loved what I didn't. You'll always find things you like and don't like on every ship so relax and enjoy yourself and you'll have a wonderful time regardless as cruising is great.

Just remember that everyone on this site has their own opinion. Others may have loved what I didn't. You'll always find things you like and don't like on every ship so relax and enjoy yourself and you'll have a wonderful time regardless as cruising is great.

Archived