Question? re: single parent / minor child traveling outside the US

prwjr

I have a question concerning a divorced parent traveling with a minor child outside of the US. Is it necessary to obtain an "Affadavit of Parental Consent" (for a minor child traveling outside of the US with only one birth parent traveling with the minor child), from the non-traveling birth parent?

I have already obtained this document from my ex wife, notarized by a Notary Public, but I ask the question for the information of prospective travelers who may not be aware.

Perhaps someone can enlighten all of us who are unsure.

I was told by the state department some months back that it isn't required by the gov. But by some countries and to check the countries you are traveling too.

That being said, I wouldn't travel with an underage minor without a form stating I could. I have done so twice to the Caribbean, and neither the airlines or the cruise lines asked to see anything.

I am married, and I was asked for this letter by US immigration upon returning from a cruise when I traveled with my daughters but without my husband.

The cruiseline may or may not ask for it, but the government might. I wouldn't travel without it.

The anecdotal evidence as reported by many posters on this website is that most of the time it is not asked for; but technically, it could be required. It is just going to depend on the individual. If it is easy to obtain, it may help to think of it as 'peace-of-mind insurance'.

The anecdotal evidence as reported by many posters on this website is that most of the time it is not asked for; but technically, it could be required. It is just going to depend on the individual. If it is easy to obtain, it may help to think of it as 'peace-of-mind insurance'.

Agreed...the last thing you need when you check in at the cruise terminal with a minor child is for them to find out that you, the parent, were unprepared and now they cannot board the ship that they were hoping to get on...that they saw...on the way into the cruise terminal. Common sense and parental awareness should prevail.

Hopefully this thread will be a wakeup call to those who are unaware of this eventuality.

This should clear up and misconceptions concerning this issue:

U.S. Department of State

Bureau of Consular Affairs

Washington, DC 20520

This information is current as of today,document.write(Date()+".") Sun Oct 14 09:12:17 2007.

In addition to being subject to all laws affecting U.S. citizens, individuals who also possess the nationality of their nation of destination may also be subject to other laws that impose special obligations on citizens of that country. For additional information, see the Consular Affairs home page on the Internet at http://travel.state.gov for our Dual Nationality flyer .

In an effort to prevent international child abduction, many governments have initiated procedures at entry/exit points. These often include requiring documentary evidence of relationship and permission for the child’s travel from the parent(s) or legal guardian if not present. Having such documentation on hand, even if not required, may facilitate entry/departure.

DH was flying with our oldest son to London from the US via Toronto. He was asked in Toronto for the letter with my permission for the travel, and we had never heard about it. Our travel agent never mentioned it, and she knew that I was not traveling. They ended up being able to continue the trip, but not until the immigration folks checked the passports and return flight arrangements and took son aside to question him separately as to why I was not traveling with them.

DH was flying with our oldest son to London from the US via Toronto. He was asked in Toronto for the letter with my permission for the travel, and we had never heard about it. Our travel agent never mentioned it, and she knew that I was not traveling. They ended up being able to continue the trip, but not until the immigration folks checked the passports and return flight arrangements and took son aside to question him separately as to why I was not traveling with them.

Well at least you know now as do I. Hopefully other travelers reading within this forum have become aware. That was the intent of my original post. Perhaps there should be a separate ongoing notice, within this forum, of travel documentation required to exit and re-enter your country of origin. I understand clearly, that the US Department of State, makes this information quite clear in it's own website...but seeing is believing...but you must have both eyes open.

I'm glad that your husband and oldest son were able to complete their itinerary despite not having the necessary documentation of which I speak.

TC and Smooth Sailing.

Archived