Neptune Lounge/best tours

MisVic

Suite passangers have access to Neptune loungs. Do not think BA falls into this catagory.

Which ship and what dates are you sailing???

Isle De Margarita:

Great coffee and good prices, leather belts flea market at dock. Rumba beach tour or Horseback riding

Curasel:

Swim with dolphins in pond or open ocean. May have to book this directly with Dolphin Academy.

All I can help with...

Ruth & Jim

What is it and who has access to it? We are booked in a BA suite.

Can anyone suggest the best tours for

Oranjestad

Bonaire

Isla De Margarita

St. George

Bridgetown

Roseau

St. Thomas

San Juan

I believe a BA is a regular veranda and not a Suite. With the Vitsa class ships, VE-VA (including BA) are regular staterooms with a Verandah.

Roseau, Dominica -- Emerald Pool, Rain Forest, Trafalgar Falls -- all great.

St Thomas - Coral World and Coki Beach

San Juan - El Morro Castle

St George, Grenada - Island Drive

Bridgetown, Barbados - Harrison's Caves

Bonaire - beaches

Aruba - Palm Island

Isla de Margarita - either an idland tour - or just walk over to the beach by the ship

Try checking the relevant Ports of Call boards for excursion ideas. They will not be limited to HAL's excursions - but then, neither should you be, necessarily. And some of the info will be about places and activities you can also take advantage of via HAL. It's a place to start, anyway.

When we were on the Noordam last November and december, we did Glory Tours in Barbados. They have lots of tours, so you should find one you like. We also had a private tour in Dominica with Fredos. Both were great, and a terrific value compared to HAL's tours. Can't help you much with the other ports. It all depends on what you like.

we loved swimming with the sea turtles in barbados. and dominica scared me to death. we were to go to the falls, but the roads are steep, narrow, winding....i got out of the jeep and did not get back in after the first 400 ft up. if you are ok with heights, you will like it. and if you do coki beach, do not feed the giant pelican. he bites....lol. no, he really does. but he is cool to watch.

we loved swimming with the sea turtles in barbados. and dominica scared me to death. we were to go to the falls, but the roads are steep, narrow, winding....i got out of the jeep and did not get back in after the first 400 ft up. if you are ok with heights, you will like it. and if you do coki beach, do not feed the giant pelican. he bites....lol. no, he really does. but he is cool to watch.

we are scheduled for Dominica in early Dec on Maasdam. my wife hates heights, so we are looking for more relaxing or exciting things to do on that small island. it is one of the few we have never been to. what is best to do?

harry

Best tour guides in Roseau - Highly recommended!

Lester Pond and Alwin Hill. These gentlemen run a tour operation in Dominica. I never would have thought to go on our own in such unfamiliar territory however it was one of the best decisions we made. I read about Lester’s tours from a few other Cruise Critic “posters.” I e-mailed Lester and he quickly responded. A few e-mails back and forth - I felt as though we would be in good hands during our time in Dominica.

When our ship arrived in port we were quickly greeted by Alwin. Alwin asked what we wanted to do and even suggested a few other stops “off the beaten path.” What a time we had! Joey was our tour guide. As requested, we went with just the four of us. We were in an air-conditioned van that had large windows for sight seeing. By the way, I think Joey is one of the BEST drivers in the world! Caveat: The roads are very narrow in Dominica. I mean very very narrow, as in one car wide narrow, and while traveling up, up, up, up, up and up into the rain forest areas they even get narrower and you’re really really high in the clouds with no guide rails!

We visited the following areas:

1. The Emerald Pool – even had a chance to swim in it so make sure you wear your bathing suit and bring a couple towels and underwater camera. Wear good water shoes - best if made for water and walking.

2. Ti Tou Gorge – swam in that too and there is a cave you can swim in as well if you can handle the cold water. Note while taking a small hike to the gorge, which is located in the rain forest, it was poring down rain and yes it was magical! If you’re not presently a huge rain forest advocate, you will be by the time you leave this place!

3. Wotten Waven – because of the volcanic nature of this area we saw water that boils up from the ground, steam rising from the earth and felt rocks from the ground that were so hot they could not be touched! Amazing really amazing! A nice gentleman named “Mr. Tall” advised that some people boil eggs in the water as it is that hot! Mr. Tall also showed and explained to us the different type of flora and fauna in the area.

4. Mr. Nice and his wonderful fresh of the trees fruit stand. Mr. Nice’s motto is “It’s nice to be nice!” I know this sounds hokey but honestly he was so so NICE! Free fruit for all, all he asks for is a smile! How can you beat that? (but- I also suggest a tip so you may want to bring some cash and there are also a few stands to pick up local items).

Joey was very, very knowledgeable and sincere about his island. He showed and explained to us some of the local trades such as the banana plantations, the avocado and cacao trees and pineapple farms. Joey also showed us the best views within the rain forest, as well as the views of the Caribbean ocean from many, many vantage points, the rainbows, over the mountains - there were so many rainbows! Waterfalls, rivers, oh my! It was spectacular!

While on our tour we came upon a large painted sign that read “Look what God has created!” I truly consider myself so fortunate to have graced eyes upon this magical place and recommend you do it with the BEST people that I now consider my friends…

Here is the contact info for Lester and Alwin Tours-

Lester Pond - e-mail: stopperb 5@hotmail.com

Alwin Hill - e-mail: alwinhilltaxi@hotmail.com

hey seavoyage! excellent review. but i was so freaked out, i would not go far. i had a fabulous shrimp and garlic dish in cream sauce (i can still hear my arteries crackling!) near the dock, but was otherwise afraid to go far. i embarrassed myself and my husband on refusing to get back in the jeep. but i am terrified of heights and alcohol does not help. so i meandered near the dock. you may want to check with others (like op seavoyage) for better recommendations. however, the french cuisine is fabulous. lauri

Hi Nurseblissful:

Completely understand. Honestly - there were times during that tour I was so terrified because of the roads and heights - but the beauty of that amazing island took over - I still remember the rainbows - there were so many rainbows - after the tour my husband and I even visited a real estate office - it was so fun! Joey, our guide, was great and if he sensed we were getting nervous - he would reassure we were fine - sure ok - but he was so comfortable - he made us comfortable. Where did you eat?

when we left the ship, we went left along the water (on foot) turning left on the main thoroughfare. the restaurant is on the right (the water is on the left, lol). it was maybe three blocks down. i do not remember the name of it. it was very small and expensive, but the food was great. sorry, i can't remember any more. lauri

Archived