What amount do people REALLY tip?

fenreed

And I'm certain she convinced you to leave a generous tip. I think that Mr. P.T Barnum had words for you once.

Do you mean the unemployment rate which is lower than the U.K's?

No I was talking about your country.

We have 5.4% out of work, but we have the highest number of people in work since 1971, also our method of recording unemployment stats differs.

Another American showman Rosie o Donnel probably had a word or two for you.

I think I will go and watch reruns of John Stewart Daily Show, how is Rush regards and pass the medication

I'd guess that a waitress in the United States earns more than a waitress anywhere else in the world. I knew a young woman who worked at outback who averaged over $30 an hour. Sure its hectic, buts its also unskilled. I think that it'd be perfectly fair to leave a tip of 5-8% instead of 15-20%

Don't shed too many tears for them.

I take it you all agree with this insult to wait staff.

Followed by the advice he gives to reduce tips to them because of one example plucked out of the air to add gravitas to his pathetic argument.

"Don't shed to many tears for them". I of course understand that he is not the Commander in Chief, but his statement does seem to smack of his alter ego so I responded in kind.

I love social Intercourse. regards

Thank you mate, I am in truth "sick as a Parrot" but if asked to draw some Nationalistic pride from the series, we did beat the Aussies, and the French in Paris the hosts of the finals.regards

I hope that you recover soon from your 'Parrot ailment' and rejoice in the fact that your team was able to prevail, notwithstanding your preparation for defeat. Best regards to you as well.

We're off on the new Queen Victoria for 16 nights over Christmas, and require some advice please re gratuities.

The 'recommended' amounts for gratuities seem quite excessive. Considering that 15% will be added to our bill for all the alcohol we plan to drink (which will be quite a bit), what do other experienced cruisers think is a reasonable total amount for a gratuity to our:-

Steward

Table waiter/s

What I mean is, despite 'cruise information' suggesting that US$11 per passenger per day, to be given to the above staff, what do the majority of cruisers ACTUALLY give?

And whilst I'm on the subject, why do people give money to the Maitre'd. What do these guys actually do anyway?

Fenreed

Fenreed

late to the discussion, as I avoid tipping threads (I'm British), but this morning is slow over at the Cunard board (:))- why don't you come up to the Cunard board (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54) and ask the question there.

Also, have a look at the roll call forum (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=470) and see if there is one for your cruise

I found http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=549571 (xmas & new year 21/12/07)

and http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=640348 (Christmas markets 11 Dec 2007)

And yes, I leave the auto tip on, but I don't tip any extra! Some people do.

(though on ships with no auto-tip - eg P+O, I find I round up, so tend to tip over the 'recommended' level)

In response to another post, Cunard has been auto-tipping since at least 2003 when I was on Caronia whne I paid the auto tip with the deposit.

Karen

You are right, there are certain things that just blow my mind I guess. I usually don't take personal attacks to seriously and I get my share (someimes the piss me off) but when our country and leaders are being attacked it does bother me. Again you are right...

Nita

I have found through my own experience that what some of our fellow members from the UK post in regards to tipping practices and attitudes in their own country is far from true. In fact, the customs in the UK and US are more similar than different.

Some complain about the automatic service charges, but don't say a word about the service charges you will find at some restaurants in London, for example.

When you have personal experience, you soon learn to separate the dross from the fine metal in these threads, or put another way, advice from propaganda. The loudest voices often know little about the subject at hand and resort to ill-informed pontification to wind people up.

I have found through my own experience that what some of our fellow members from the UK post in regards to tipping practices and attitudes in their own country is far from true. In fact, the customs in the UK and US are more similar than different.

Some complain about the automatic service charges, but don't say a word about the service charges you will find at some restaurants in London, for example.

When you have personal experience, you soon learn to separate the dross from the fine metal in these threads, or put another way, advice from propaganda. The loudest voices often know little about the subject at hand and resort to ill-informed pontification to wind people up.

Or said otherwise, in the words of a Metallica song, "...an empty can rattles the most..."

Or if you cannot win the argument post a message like this and try to take the moral high ground:D

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Or if you cannot win the argument post a message like this and try to take the moral high ground:D

What argument, or discussion, when much of what is posted is crap? I see more schadenfreude in the posts in this thread than reasonable attempts to discuss, compare, and educate. If my position appears high, perhaps that is in comparison to the levels others have chosen to sink towards.

My goodness, if I'd listened to what people from the UK state concerning tipping practices in their own homes, many deserving people would have been stiffed entirely during our trip. Why are so many afraid to be honest with what really takes place?

I take it you all agree with this insult to wait staff.

Followed by the advice he gives to reduce tips to them because of one example plucked out of the air to add gravitas to his pathetic argument.

"Don't shed to many tears for them". I of course understand that he is not the Commander in Chief, but his statement does seem to smack of his alter ego so I responded in kind.

I love social Intercourse. regards

http://www.nationalrestaurantassociation.com/pressroom/print/index.cfm?ID=890

That may be of interest.

First: The entire notion of tipping by percentage is illogical. If I go to a restaurant and order a $25 dollar meal why does that deserve more of a tip than if I go to that same restaurant and order a $12 meal?

Second: It is inconsistent that we as a society feel the need to elevate only the wages of wait staff to such high levels. Over a given day, most of us are serviced by many other people who don't earn a great wage, yet none of us give the cashier at the grocery store a 15-20% tip, yet her work is just as hard as bringin a plate from the kitchen to your table.

It is only because wait staff earn below minimum wage that we are honor bound to leave some money, however 15-20% is more than is required.

Third: Wait staff are required to report 8% of their receipts as income, most earn more than this (thanks to your generosity) yet few report an honest tally of their income to the government. They are by and large guilty of tax evasion, a crime which costs every other honest tax payer in the land. Certainly they are not all theives, I'm sure there are some who do pay their fair share of taxes. I have never met any however. :)

also our method of recording unemployment stats differs.

[/Quote] I have some interst in statistics, perhaps who could clarify what those differences are?

http://www.nationalrestaurantassociation.com/pressroom/print/index.cfm?ID=890

That may be of interest.

First: The entire notion of tipping by percentage is illogical. If I go to a restaurant and order a $25 dollar meal why does that deserve more of a tip than if I go to that same restaurant and order a $12 meal?

Second: It is inconsistent that we as a society feel the need to elevate only the wages of wait staff to such high levels. Over a given day, most of us are serviced by many other people who don't earn a great wage, yet none of us give the cashier at the grocery store a 15-20% tip, yet her work is just as hard as bringin a plate from the kitchen to your table.

It is only because wait staff earn below minimum wage that we are honor bound to leave some money, however 15-20% is more than is required.

Third: Wait staff are required to report 8% of their receipts as income, most earn more than this (thanks to your generosity) yet few report an honest tally of their income to the government. They are by and large guilty of tax evasion, a crime which costs every other honest tax payer in the land. Certainly they are not all theives, I'm sure there are some who do pay their fair share of taxes. I have never met any however. :)

I have some interst in statistics, perhaps who could clarify what those differences are?

Dear Mr. Bush,

You are in the moral minority of opinion in this forum and obviously not a big tipper. I am by no means a great big tipper either...but I have found it is the people with the least amount of disposable income to be the biggest tippers. Why is that? I am not quite sure but I think that those people appreciate good service and are more willing to reward service than the cheapskate wealthy people who expect good service and take it for granted.

Why tip them on the last night, what about the night before two nights before, by then you should have decided to tip or not to tip that is the question regards

Fair point ...

I suppose it's just tradition to tip on last night, but for the record I have tipped before last night on numerous occasions.

I find your statements insulting to our President and this is not a political board but a place to discuss cruising issues.

Nita

I have to agree lets keep the discussion cruising related. I find all this cross Atlantic mudslinging distasteful. I come on this board to share my travel related thoughts and experiences. One of the reasons I like to travel / cruise is that I get to meet people from different cultures and countries. By meeting all these people, I begin to grow more tolerant of differences we have, by understanding we all have differing opinions and ideas. I can't stand people who get off on insulting others for who they are and what they believe in.

We are entitled to our opinions, but some opinions should be kept to ones self.

I have to agree lets keep the discussion cruising related. I find all this cross Atlantic mudslinging distasteful. I come on this board to share my travel related thoughts and experiences. One of the reasons I like to travel / cruise is that I get to meet people from different cultures and countries. By meeting all these people, I begin to grow more tolerant of differences we have, by understanding we all have differing opinions and ideas. I can't stand people who get off on insulting others for who they are and what they believe in.

We are entitled to our opinions, but some opinions should be kept to ones self.

I find the more I cruise, travel abroad in Europe and the US and meet pupils from around the world at school, I see some differences but most importantly I find we are all the same:).

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

I find your statements insulting to our President and this is not a political board but a place to discuss cruising issues. If you feel tipping the customary amount is something you can not accept, that is fine, but please do not come here and insult us.

Nita

Nita it didn't take me long to figure out that this is his whole agenda. All you have to do is go back and read his posts;)

So back to tipping.......:)

First timer here, so please hang in there with me......

Is it customary to tip for children sharing a cabin as well as for the adults?

If the "autotip," for example is $11/day, should I be prepared to shell out $44/day for my wife and two daughters, both under the age of 11?

I'm typically a pretty generous tipper, and would likely tip well for good service-but I have to admit, all this talk about being made to feel obligated is taking a bit of the shine off my cruising interest.:(

As soon as I see someone "open their hand" to indicate that I ought to put cash in it, the tighter my wallet gets!! I know it makes me evil in the eyes of some.....but eh, who cares?

It is customary to also tip for the kids. I doubt that you will experience anyone other than one of the stevadors who handle luggage with their hand out. The cruise director will "explain" tipping as part of the disembakation talk - and he/she isn't in the tip pool.

So back to tipping.......:)

First timer here, so please hang in there with me......

Is it customary to tip for children sharing a cabin as well as for the adults?

If the "autotip," for example is $11/day, should I be prepared to shell out $44/day for my wife and two daughters, both under the age of 11?

I'm typically a pretty generous tipper, and would likely tip well for good service-but I have to admit, all this talk about being made to feel obligated is taking a bit of the shine off my cruising interest.:(

As soon as I see someone "open their hand" to indicate that I ought to put cash in it, the tighter my wallet gets!! I know it makes me evil in the eyes of some.....but eh, who cares?

Yes most CC's do include kids in the auto tip, some like RCI say at your discretion, but don't forget in all cases you can go to Guest Relations & remove the gratuities as you see fit. Go on to the Company's Website to see the definitive for your chosen cruise. As you may have read my post on page 2, I don't agree with auto tipping & this is where paying $44 a day in your case, is not longer a "Tip" but the price of a cheap cruise over a 10 or 12 Day vacation. For the many posters who disagree with me, I bear no shame, but please don't stand too near Guest Relations as you may be injured in the rush, as the Brits run to "Cancel their Grats".

Why is it that cruise lines don't simply include the cost of all these "tips" in the price of the cruise? :confused:

(Yes, I know the same logical question could be asked of restaurants, but at least in the US, restaurants are a part of mainstream every day life, and people essentially grow up with the custom. Cruises aren't, and it isn't something that's inherently obvious.)

I guess, from a first-timers perspective, it feels like the prices on the website/in the newspaper constitute some sort of "false advertising." I wonder how many first-time cruisers get on board and are sort of shocked at the number of people they're expected to tip. If I hadn't been fairly travel-savvy, and knew to do my research carefully before booking anything, I wouldn't have found this site, and I wouldn't have been prepared.

Looks like our first cruise will be a 7-day instead of a 10-day!!!

As always, please forgive the new guy, as I'm sure this topic has been hashed to death here........:o:o

but don't forget in all cases you can go to Guest Relations & remove the gratuities as you see fit.

So is this really true?

If I wanted to, I could ONLY tip where, when, and how much I felt was appropriate?

They wouldn't kick me off the ship?

They wouldn't treat my children poorly:rolleyes::rolleyes:?

They'd still allow me into the main dining room?

Given everything I'm reading, I'm thinking the auto-tip, as aggravating :mad: a concept as it is, just might make things a lot less hectic!:p And one thing I do not need on my vacation is....HECTIC!:D

So is this really true?

If I wanted to, I could ONLY tip where, when, and how much I felt was appropriate?

Perfectly true. Trust me I'm approaching 60 cruises over the last 50 years & have never paid Auto Grat's & will not be doing so on the next 4 cruises I have booked. Although It's added to your shipboard account on the first day, you simply go to Guest Relations & remove all or part of it as you wish. Certainly on my most recent cruises RCI Carnival Celeb MSC this option still stands & can easily be confirmed by telephoning customer services on the cruise line of your choice. You will still receive your envelope(s) to fill & hand out to whoever you wish. Don't be put off. Just Go For It.

So is this really true?

They'd still allow me into the main dining room?

Given everything I'm reading, I'm thinking the auto-tip, as aggravating :mad: a concept as it is, just might make things a lot less hectic!:p And one thing I do not need on my vacation is....HECTIC!:D

It is far less complecated than the traditional way plus, for those who want to tip in the old way, the money they give the crew has to be reported by the crew member and still goes into the pool.

As for getting the tips removed, it depends on the cruise line how easy this is to do. We have found the auto tip is a wonderful.

Nita

It is far less complecated than the traditional way plus, for those who want to tip in the old way, the money they give the crew has to be reported by the crew member and still goes into the pool.

As for getting the tips removed, it depends on the cruise line how easy this is to do. We have found the auto tip is a wonderful.

Nita

Nita. Name a Cruise Line where removing tips is difficult. I have never experienced any difficulty & not once have I been the only one in line at GR doing the same.It clearly states in all the major cruise lines documentation that removing Grats is an option.Possibly Cunard & Costa may be a different story but they are at both ends of the cruising spectrum. Princess do it differently by allocating a time & day to remove grats. On the Grand Princess in Europe a few years ago the line went all the way around the deck, for no other reason than Europeans don't like it. I think this is a ploy to try to make people feel embarrassed. How wonderful is that.

• Administrators

It's amazing how this topic always takes off, as if either "side" is ever going to convince the other one. There will always be those who demand a way to remove autotips, so the cruiselines furnish one (some with more difficulty than others; for instance read NCL's FAQ about it at http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ#tipping for more info on that).

But for the most part the lines that have gone to an autotip policy have figured out a way to make it work effectively -- when a party has totally removed autotips from their onboard account, any cash they hand out to staff is required to be turned back into the tip pool. This information has been posted here and elsewhere by enough crew members on various cruiselines to make me think it's valid info -- and it also makes sense if the goal is to get tip money into the hands of those providing services.

The policy is that all "base" tips onboard go into a tip pool, which these days frequently is shared not only among traditional tipped employees, but also some of the behind the scenes employees who also make the experience so enjoyable. If customers for whatever reason (they would rather tip less, or more, in cash than the standard amount in autotip; they would prefer to feel all "grand" by personally handing out envelopes; whatever) cancel autotips, then the burden shifts back to the ship's employees (who ARE informed when one of "their" parties has removed autotips) to make it up in the tip pool. So the pax who spend hours in line to remove autotips accomplish nothing, unless their goal was in fact to tip nothing -- which I haven't seen too many posters, even on this thread, willing to stand up and admit is their choice.

I don't see the point of debating it as social policy, a comparison of unemployment rates, or a matter of "hiding" a fare increase in tips (which has its own issues, including that if it were "included" in the fare the overall cost would rise more because taxes would also be charged on the tip amount). My time on vacation is precious. To us, it's just a matter of convenience -- tipping is expected, and I'm not paying this cruiseline whatever I'm paying for my cruise to spend my time standing in a line to make some ephemeral economic point by adjusting my tips. On the other hand, if you enjoy that type of thing, have at it -- unless you are a zero tipper, you've wasted your time in any event, as whatever cash you then hand out has to be pooled anyway.

Archived