Leaving Luggage Outside Cabins?

Roxxy

Please don't laugh at my seemingly dumb question; I just want to be prepared. My husband uses a CPAP machine to sleep (he has sleep apnea), so I guess we will pack that in our carry on bag then? (duh-obviously). I assume that the carry ons can stay in the cabin until we disembark? So what time does one normally disembark? I have read about different colors of tags leaving at different times--do you have time to go get breakfast?

Thanks for the patience w/my questions!

Laura

It depends on how early they want you out of your cabin and what time you go to breakfast. We're early risers, ready for breakfast by 7 am and we leave our carry on bags inside the closet until after we return. Usually, you will see your cabin attendant in the hallway that early, we will tell them we're done with the cabin, but will retrieve our bags in a half hour or so. Many ships want you to vacate the cabin by 8am, some are more lenient.

It is surprising how many people do bring their carry on bags to breakfast though, even in the dining room.

We've never had a problem leaving our bags in the hallway the last night on any cruise ship. It's by far a preferred method for us, rather than trying to manuever and haul our own suitcases off the ship through the throngs of people.

One time some friends of ours got someone elses luggage by mistake. Our friend wheeled the case over to the rightful owners cabin, the owner probably never had any idea it almost went missing. I'm sure it happens, there is a mountain of luggage to be delivered, mistakes can happen.

Piemom9397 ~ I don't know the size/weight of a CPAP machine so this may or may not matter, but, your carry-OFF doesn't have the size restriction of a carry-ON. I may use a small tote with meds and a change of clothes as my carry-on but if I've made a lot of purchases plus carrying pajamas, travel shoes, etc, I'll use one of my small/medium rolling bags as my carry-OFF.

We've always had time for breakfast the last morning, sometimes at the buffet, sometimes in the dining room. Have gotten off ship as early as 9am to as late as 1:30pm.

It depends on how early they want you out of your cabin and what time you go to breakfast. We're early risers, ready for breakfast by 7 am and we leave our carry on bags inside the closet until after we return. Usually, you will see your cabin attendant in the hallway that early, we will tell them we're done with the cabin, but will retrieve our bags in a half hour or so. Many ships want you to vacate the cabin by 8am, some are more lenient.

It is surprising how many people do bring their carry on bags to breakfast though, even in the dining room.

We've never had a problem leaving our bags in the hallway the last night on any cruise ship. It's by far a preferred method for us, rather than trying to manuever and haul our own suitcases off the ship through the throngs of people.

One time some friends of ours got someone elses luggage by mistake. Our friend wheeled the case over to the rightful owners cabin, the owner probably never had any idea it almost went missing. I'm sure it happens, there is a mountain of luggage to be delivered, mistakes can happen.

Piemom9397 ~ I don't know the size/weight of a CPAP machine so this may or may not matter, but, your carry-OFF doesn't have the size restriction of a carry-ON. I may use a small tote with meds and a change of clothes as my carry-on but if I've made a lot of purchases plus carrying pajamas, travel shoes, etc, I'll use one of my small/medium rolling bags as my carry-OFF.

We've always had time for breakfast the last morning, sometimes at the buffet, sometimes in the dining room. Have gotten off ship as early as 9am to as late as 1:30pm

Thank y'all so much! I hadn't thought of a "carry off" bag but it makes so much sense!

Laura

I was under the impression that due to 911 NO ONE is allowed to lock their suitcases anymore. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I use TSA locks for both the airport and the cruise ship. TSA has the keys or will cut them off if need be and I have read where the cruise ship will call you if they need you to open your bag for some reason.

The first cruise we carried off our luggage, big mistake! The second cruise I felt funny about leaving it in the hallway but did it and everything was fine. 3rd time I left it in the hallway but someone accidently picked up one of our bags by mistake but the cruiseline was very helpful in trying to reach who they thought it was. We had our bag back before we left the port.

I really don't think anyone will steal from you luggage but I do keep all valuables with us in our carry ons. Like the others have said, if someone needs our dirty clothes that bad let them have them!

In all the years reading thousands of posts, I do not recall anyone claiming their luggage disappeared for good after setting it out on the final night. I am sure it has happened to someone, somewhere.

I only wish the airlines could match this record.

I certainly agree. I have seen a few who had or claimed they had jewelry taken, to them, I have to ask "why would you leave jewelry in your luggage in the first place?

As for the bags being left the first day, has anyone ever stopped to consider how many people are running up and down the halls that first afternoon? I can't imagine anyone trying to get away with someone else's luggage. It never even crossed my mind.

I sailed on the Dawn last year and to my surprize I got an extra piece of luggage. They made a mistake and gave me someone elses. I called the front desk and they quickly had someone come and take it. I never had a problem leaving my bags out but I dont like when they dont take it all at once. When the bags get seperated it makes it harder to find them on the other end. Happy sailing!

Archived