What percentage of HAL cruisers read/post to these boards?

barbon2

I SO agree hammy!!! :D People look at me like I'm nuts when I mention this site - especially HOW MUCH time I spend here!!!!!

Oh, Laura, I don't dare mention to anyone how much time I spend here ;).

I did take a short hiatus one time for about 6 months. It was a very good thing. I tend to book cruises when I hang around here. I keep telling my dh I am going to try to take another one, and he keeps hoping I will, lol.

Marie

What a coincidence, I read an interesting article in Travel Weekly (Oct. 8) today on what cruise sites get the most traffic. A chart of the "top 15 most visited cruise sites, week ending Sept. 29" is included. According to the chart, the Cruise Critic message boards are #6 with 3.42% and the Cruise Critic site is #7 with 3.34%. (The HAL site is #12 with 2.15%.) The fine print on the chart says, "The data in this chart are based on U.S. market share visits, which is the percentage of online traffic to the domain or category, from a sample of 10 million U.S. Internet users."

I agree with the 3 to 5% guess since many people do not post. Look at the number of hits vs. the number of posts. What this group does have is a very good cross section of the HAL market and thats what keeps the home office reading these posts.

Many items discussed are not weighty issues but remember what happened with the "PARK WEST TAKES OVER THE CROWS NEST" post. That took off like a shot and had results.

Sometimes management makes moves that are taken very negatively by traveling passenger. The sad fact is that by the time they realize a mistake has been made there has been far too much damage done. This board gives them a very representative cross section of the HAL client base and can provide a more immediate response.

I agree. We're a small minority. There is no way that 100 to 200 people (which would be the 5 to 10% range) on board a Vista class HAL ship have all read or posted on CC.

I'm almost positive it was everyone's favorite HM who posted the 1/2 to 1% figure about a year or so ago. And I figure he would have a pretty good idea. It was his way of pointing out one time that we're really not all that significant when it comes to the decisions HAL makes about the future of cruising.

However, many times completely different people post on the Roll Calls. Every one of the CCers I have met on cruises do not post here on the regular message boards.

Actually, I think it's way less than 5%. There are 13 ships (not including the Eurodam) in HAL's fleet. If we figure that each ship holds an average of 1500 passengers then you have almost 20,000 people sailing HAL at any one time. Further I'll assume that the average HAL cruise is 10 days, yielding about 36 sailings/year for each ship. That would give 720,000 passengers/year. Even if we figure for repeat passengers you'd have to figure 500,000 individuals sail HAL each year.

If just 1% participated in these boards that would be 5000 people. I doubt 5000 people participate in this board.

(Now you see why DW hates being married to an engineer).:o

(Now you see why DW hates being married to an engineer).:o

No she doesn't!!!:) And I wouldn't either because I'm a big numbers player myself. That's why I thought the under 1% made sense. Even that might be high.

I've asked a lot of people I've met onboard and they are all have no idea what I'm talking about. And I won't even post how some HAL staff reacted to my mention of this board on my last cruise .... I'd be run out of here on a rail!!!:D

No she doesn't!!!:) And I won't even post how some HAL staff reacted to my mention of this board on my last cruise .... I'd be run out of here on a rail!!!:D

OH HEATHER.....do tell :). You can not post something like that and not tell us, lol. Come'on, you know you want to. PLEASE :).

Marie

I like m-a-m/Karin's quick calculation way back in post #5: an average of 30 on the roll call for an average ship size of 1550 passengers would be 1.9%. Even the occasional sailing that may have 60 or 70 cc-ers is offset by ones like out last cruise where we had a roll-call of just 2 couples, and we discovered only 2 other cc-ers on the ship who didn't join the roll call.

I was on a HAL cruise with DW my two DDs and four other family members. I'm the only one who posts here. So using this highly scientific, statistically accurate and significant study 12.5% of all HAL cruisers post on cruise critic

Using that same stat, the Zaandam's B-B to Hawaii from Vancouver next April, has less than 100 passengers signed up!:eek:

john

Archived