Has anyone stayed @ Homewood Suites Achorage?

acud

Hi, There may be more people out there who booked these rooms at the LOW (possibly mistaken) rates. I found out about this deal on "Side Step" travel site before I read about it here. So, there may be a lot of reservations referred from Side Step to the Hilton site.

Now, I am worried that if we show up at 7:30 PM on the day of our reservation, and they don't honor it, we will be stuck with no place to sleep! It will be too late to cancel and book another room at that hour.

I love this site! We are planning our land tour with the cruise departing on August 6, 2008 from Whittier on Carnival. I spend many hours reading reviews on this site. Thanks for all the useful information.

Nancy B.

Hi, There may be more people out there who booked these rooms at the LOW (possibly mistaken) rates. I found out about this deal on "Side Step" travel site before I read about it here. So, there may be a lot of reservations referred from Side Step to the Hilton site.

Now, I am worried that if we show up at 7:30 PM on the day of our reservation, and they don't honor it, we will be stuck with no place to sleep! It will be too late to cancel and book another room at that hour.

I love this site! We are planning our land tour with the cruise departing on August 6, 2008 from Whittier on Carnival. I spend many hours reading reviews on this site. Thanks for all the useful information.

Nancy B.

Since you guaranteed the room with a credit card, you will have a place to sleep. It's the low RATE that possibly might not be honored - though I suspect they will honor it. My check-in dates aren't until August, and I know of others who booked dates much earlier in the season. I'll wait to see how they fare.

I think a company like Hilton would know what they are doing.If they sent you a confirmation letter ,they will honor that rate .Just make sure you take your letter.If something is wrong They should let you know in a few days.

Being that Homewood or Hilton have not contacted anyone about this (at least no one here posted that they contacted you), it looks good.

I am probably the first one to be the guinea pig on this rate - I have it booked for May 1-3, 2008 (two nights). I will let you know.

As was suggested, bring your confirmation EMail. Most likely the worst case scenario is that they may ask to "downgrade" you to a different room. If you don't really need a 2 bedroom suite (like me), that might be OK. But if you are booking the place for several people to stay there, you can insist that they give you what you booked.

I had a problem when checking into the hotel I am staying at now in Cambodia. Too long of a story for here, but end result: I am pretty much getting what I booked. In fact I got upgraded :) . Price is slightly different but I can resolve that once back in the US.

John

I have 2 rooms for next summer reserved at this rate for 6 people and I can't afford to sit around with my fingers crossed hoping they'll honor the rate that I booked at. If there is a screw up that could affect our travel plans/budget I want to know about it now. So, I called the actual hotel and had them pull up my confirmation #'s and asked them to verify that the rate I booked at would be honored. There was a long pause and then was told "Umm, that's not the right rate". I was then told that they'd look into it and call me right back. That was 4 days ago and after 2 additional calls I still don't have an answer. We'll see what happens.....

I have 2 rooms for next summer reserved at this rate for 6 people and I can't afford to sit around with my fingers crossed hoping they'll honor the rate that I booked at. If there is a screw up that could affect our travel plans/budget I want to know about it now. So, I called the actual hotel and had them pull up my confirmation #'s and asked them to verify that the rate I booked at would be honored. There was a long pause and then was told "Umm, that's not the right rate". I was then told that they'd look into it and call me right back. That was 4 days ago and after 2 additional calls I still don't have an answer. We'll see what happens.....

That's not a good sign! As I mentoned in a previous post, they are covered by the disclaimer in the Rules and Restrictions that says, "We reserve the right to cancel or modify reservations where it appears that a customer has engaged in fraudulent or inappropriate activity or under other circumstances where it appears that the reservations contain or resulted from a mistake or error." The hotel may have been in consultation with their parent company to see just how many rooms were booked at that low rate, before deciding whether or not to honor the rate.

;) i originally posted this Q tho i see others found same rate elsewhere. i agree w/the wait & see approach. forcing the hotel's hand may eliminate the rate for those already booked.

ive stayed 100+ hotels & have never lost w/a confirm in hand. (the system would fall apart for travelers if confirmations arent really confirmations!) simply arrive w/your confirm & check in; chances are things will be fine. if not, ask to speak w/hotel management who typically will honor. ive always prevailed - maybe just lucky & determined - but like to believe people just do the right thing! also, for future reference, i always book/pay w/amex. if hotel dismisses the confirm (dont know how?) or imposes a diff rate (dont know how?), amex will recover & reimburse you for charges outside the guaranteed rate.

also, there seems to be precedence in this thread that hilton has honored other fantastic rates. so, have faith! in the worst case scenario $379, isnt a terrible rate for 2 couples - at least compared to other similar caliber hotels in area. good luck to us all!

Just make another reservation somewhere else that you can cancel without penalty. That is what I have done. If it turns out that the rate isn't good, cancel this one and go with your backup. Unless you pre-paid you should be able to cancel this reservation 48 hours before you arrive (I can't remember exactly what the time period was).

There is no reason to get stressed out about this.

UMTerp

Thought I'd answer the question about the actual hotel experience. We stayed there in 2005 when it was newly opened. Had reservations at the Hilton Garden Inn (which is right next door). When we called for the shuttle to pick us up at the airport, they told us that we had been upgraded to the Homewood Suites.

I have uploaded a scrapbook page about our experience at Homewood Suites, complete with pictures and journaling about our stay. (Click on the thumbnail for a larger view...journaling is on the right side of the page.)

It was truly one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had. No exaggeration.

;) i originally posted this Q tho i see others found same rate elsewhere. i agree w/the wait & see approach. forcing the hotel's hand may eliminate the rate for those already booked.

ive stayed 100+ hotels & have never lost w/a confirm in hand. (the system would fall apart for travelers if confirmations arent really confirmations!) simply arrive w/your confirm & check in; chances are things will be fine. if not, ask to speak w/hotel management who typically will honor. ive always prevailed - maybe just lucky & determined - but like to believe people just do the right thing! also, for future reference, i always book/pay w/amex. if hotel dismisses the confirm (dont know how?) or imposes a diff rate (dont know how?), amex will recover & reimburse you for charges outside the guaranteed rate.

also, there seems to be precedence in this thread that hilton has honored other fantastic rates. so, have faith! in the worst case scenario $379, isnt a terrible rate for 2 couples - at least compared to other similar caliber hotels in area. good luck to us all!

Thanks everyone for your guidance and advice. The reason I'd like to know if I'll have the rooms and the rate upfront rather than waiting is because I took the prepaid option for two rooms on our first and last nights. With the prepaid option it came out to $300 total vs. around $1,500 regular rate. That's a big chunk of change to come up with on a trip that's already going to cost us $15k conservatively. Also, the logistics of arranging for another hotel on our arrival day with our group arriving on 3 different flights would be a headache. One thing I forgot to mention is that one of the times I called the hotel the clerk told me that they don't have any 2brs available for those dates. Not really a problem for me but could be a problem if 2 couples were planning to share a 2br and then had to share a reg room. Anyway, I'd just like to know up front what the deal is. If they are going to honor the rate when I show up why wouldn't they honor it now? Or viceversa, if they're not going to honor it now, they probably won't honor it then.

Thanks everyone for your guidance and advice. The reason I'd like to know if I'll have the rooms and the rate upfront rather than waiting is because I took the prepaid option for two rooms on our first and last nights. With the prepaid option it came out to $300 total vs. around $1,500 regular rate. That's a big chunk of change to come up with on a trip that's already going to cost us $15k conservatively. Also, the logistics of arranging for another hotel on our arrival day with our group arriving on 3 different flights would be a headache. One thing I forgot to mention is that one of the times I called the hotel the clerk told me that they don't have any 2brs available for those dates. Not really a problem for me but could be a problem if 2 couples were planning to share a 2br and then had to share a reg room. Anyway, I'd just like to know up front what the deal is. If they are going to honor the rate when I show up why wouldn't they honor it now? Or viceversa, if they're not going to honor it now, they probably won't honor it then.

Have you seen the charge to your credit card? If so, the hotel really doesn't have a leg to stand on more than a week after this rate was available. If it were a mistake (which it might have been but I can not say "yes" for sure), the burden would be on them to contact you about it, and to have done so in a timely manner. Even now it is taking them days to get back to you.

If you were confirmed in a 2BR suite and they don't have any for that day, it is their problem to accommodate you for that number of people. Re: not having any 2BR's available for your dates - could it be that it is because you already booked them? I don't know the answer to that, but if you gave them your name and confirmation number, they would have to tell you what kind of room is confirmed for you.

I am planning on the rate being honored unless they contact me. If I were concerned about it not being honored, I could just cancel (or not have booked in the first place!).

I hope you find an answer from the hotel soon for your sake.

John

I am also booked for a couple nights at Homewood Suites at the low rate, but I'm not worried at all.

I was able to get the Holiday Inn in Seward at $79/night (pre-paid)when I booked it in early October for the following July (2006). HI already had their winter rates on line and they applied to all future bookings. That rate was on line for a week or two, and then the rate went back up to about $239. When I checked in, the clerk said, "Wow you really got a great rate!" No problem.

I also managed to get a first class ticket from Seattle to Anchorage for less than coach fare due to a booking glitch that lasted less than a day. Continental charged my card immediately and I happily took my first class seat months later. No problem, and not a word was said at check-in.

I've never had a hotel or airline challenge a booking confirmation.

I am also booked for a couple nights at Homewood Suites at the low rate, but I'm not worried at all.

I was able to get the Holiday Inn in Seward at $79/night (pre-paid)when I booked it in early October for the following July (2006). HI already had their winter rates on line and they applied to all future bookings. That rate was on line for a week or two, and then the rate went back up to about $239. When I checked in, the clerk said, "Wow you really got a great rate!" No problem.

I also managed to get a first class ticket from Seattle to Anchorage for less than coach fare due to a booking glitch that lasted less than a day. Continental charged my card immediately and I happily took my first class seat months later. No problem, and not a word was said at check-in.

I've never had a hotel or airline challenge a booking confirmation.

Generally I agree. I don't rock the boat :) . In fact I just got back from several days in Cambodia. $300 round trip including taxes. And I got 21,000 miles for the trip to boot! No one batted an eyelash that I paid so little - well, except the guy I met flying to LAX who was flying to Bangkok and paid $1600 round trip for a similar ticket!

John

why not book another set of accommodations - if that will ease your concerns...and dont pre-pay, just hold w/a credit card. (most hotels have a 24-48 hr allowable cancellation.)

as other posters suggest, if theyve charged you credit card for a pre-paid room...you already have the rooms at those rates!

To answer the original question... we stayed at the Homewood Suites last year and loved it. The hotel rooms are nicely furnished and windows open so you can breath the wonderful Alaska air. The hotel is a few years old but it still felt like new when we were there and the staff was very helpful. The hotel has 3 shuttle buses that can take you wherever you might want to go. We lost a wheel on one of our suitcases when we arrived late at night and next morning, one of the shuttles took us to a luggage repair shop, waited while talked to the repair guy left our luggage, then brought us back to the hotel again... now that's service!

Sandy

why not book another set of accommodations - if that will ease your concerns...and dont pre-pay, just hold w/a credit card. (most hotels have a 24-48 hr allowable cancellation.)

as other posters suggest, if theyve charged you credit card for a pre-paid room...you already have the rooms at those rates!

Their charges, for my prepaid rooms, have already hit my account, weeks ago . So are you saying that if they've done so they don't have any right in altering my reservation? I've contacted their central res #, their net direct #, both with positive confirmations on the rate, and I've contacted the actual hotel 3 TIMES with promises that they'd return the call, no such luck. Do I contact them again or just let it be?... My wife, the international traveler, says let it be, "ya' pinhead!" The problem is I was brought up by a father that was honest to a fault, I have a problem gaining at someone else's expense.:o

Their charges, for my prepaid rooms, have already hit my account, weeks ago . So are you saying that if they've done so they don't have any right in altering my reservation? I've contacted their central res #, their net direct #, both with positive confirmations on the rate, and I've contacted the actual hotel 3 TIMES with promises that they'd return the call, no such luck. Do I contact them again or just let it be?... My wife, the international traveler, says let it be, "ya' pinhead!" The problem is I was brought up by a father that was honest to a fault, I have a problem gaining at someone else's expense.:o

If you had posted on Flyertalk that you had already called the hotel, the 800# etc. etc., you would have long been flamed (and probably tar and feathered)!! Contacting anybody attached to management about a "glitch" fare, hotel price, etc. is a no-no. Those calls are what makes them pull the mistake, thereby blocking it to anyone else that might want to take advantage of it.:eek:

and preserve the rate for the rest of us...the fact that they havent answered you 3 times should ease any guilt you may feel over getting a great rate. dont know why your conscience would bother you about this - but if so, release the rooms so other honest-but-frugal internet savvy bargain hunters can catch a break.

let it lie, already. you booked. confirmed. paid. AND re-asked, re-asked, re-asked. done. jeez-louise!!!!

Archived