URGENT! Read this important info about Vancouver airport, the AIF and the new "system"!!!!!!!!

sarahjane

IF YOU ARE GOING THROUGH VANCOUVER, YOU HAVE TO READ THIS E-MAIL EXCHANGE I HAD WITH A YVR (Vancouver Airport) REP! It is important and hopefully useful information for many of us regarding the AIF (airport improvement fee) and the new "system" they have been talking about. Quite exciting news!!

Read on...

I wrote:

We will be going through YVR for our Alaskan cruise at the end of July. But we purchased our tickets before June 1. Was the AIF included in our airfare? IF not, do we have to purchase it the day we are departing? We will be in a bigger hurry that day. If we can purchase it the day we arrive and hold onto it until we leave, that would be much better for our schedule. Is that possible? I heard there is a separate line at YVR for cruise passengers. Is that true? THANKS for your response!

He wrote back:

Depending on when you purchased your ticket, the AIF should have been included (it may show on the bottom of your ticket). If not, you will not be required to purchase a ticket when your connect through our airport. Depending on the airline and cruise line you are traveling, it will be possible for you to check in on board for your flight and proceed directly through US Immigration and Customs, security and then right to your gate (this is only available to US residents and Citizens). We are excited about this new program and I hope you get a chance to experience it.

Have a wonderful cruise and I will keep my fingers crossed for lots of wildlife sightings and great weather!

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

I responded:

Thank you for your reply!!

Let me make sure I understand...If the AIF is NOT included in our ticket (purchased back in March) then we still do NOT have to purchase the AIF when departing Vancouver to return home on August 1? That is how I read your response, but it's not what I expected to hear.

Also...we will be on Royal Caribbean and American Airlines. Is your wonderful new system working through them yet? Our flight leaves around 11:00 a.m. and so we will be VERY tight on time! Hopefully first off the ship. Any good advice on how to advance from ship to gate in order to make the best time? You are very helpful! Thanks so much

He replied:

That is correct. You will not be required to purchase the AIF if it has not already been placed on the ticket.

RCCL is one of the participating partners as is American Airlines. As some ships have yet to receive training and have not implemented the enhanced program, make sure to check on board at the Purser's desk if you can participate in the "On Board Check In Program" (which looks fairly likely if your cruise arrives in Vancouver on a Wednesday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday), you will receive a boarding pass for your flight and your bags will be screened and taken directly to your departing aircraft. You won't see them again until you arrive home! The ships are excellent in getting passengers quickly to the airport to make their departing flights, so I am sure they will have you off the ship in plenty of time to make your flight. I am sorry to hear that you won't be spending any extra time in our great city, but perhaps another time.

Enjoy your trip and if you need anything, please don't hesitate to email me again.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's quite impressive, don't you think!!

If it works out...and hopefully if they're implementing it now, it should be "broken in" by the end of July!

Just thought you all might like to know!

have fun!

sarahjane

Serenade to Alaska 7/25/04!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;7;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Serenade 7/04

Enchantment 1/04

Voyager 7/02

Majesty 2/01

sarahjane- can you tell me where to email to confirm since i am arriving on a monday, and on a princess cruise. please tell me where to email. thanks for sharing this very important info.

Whenzuc - I just got off a Princess cruise that arrived on a Monday (only 1 ship in port that day for us). We had to do things the old traditional way. The only benefit we did get on this trip was that we did not need to claim our baggage at the pier - it was put on buses for us and we claimed it at the airport. The bad part was if your luggage wasn't there, it would be sort of scarey (didn't happen but I can imagine it).

I participated in a trial program last year at the Vancouver airport (with Princess) and I thought it was excellent.

I did not pay for the Airport Improvement Tax on my ticket and did not have to pay for it at the airport.

Here is a copy of an email I received in March from Vancouver airport:

Dear Theresa,

We are currently getting ready for the 2004 cruise ship season. I am pleased to read that last year you utilized the cruise ship facility and were impressed with the system.

This year the system has changed a bit. This year, the facility will be utilized by passengers that purchase an air sea package from the cruise lines. As plans have yet to be confirmed, there are a number of cruise lines tentatively set to participate. These include: RCCL, Celebrity, Norwegian, Holland America and

one Princess ship. I would like to stress that some of these cruise lines have not been confirmed at this point in time. Tentative airlines participating with air sea packages are: Alaska, Horizion, Northwest, Air Canada, United, American and Continental. The facility is set to operate on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I hope the above information is of assistance.

Thank you for visiting the YVR website.

Sincerely,

Melissa Cheng

Customer Relations Representative

Vancouver International Airport Authority

Tel: 604-276-6158

Fax: 604-276-6599

E-mail: melissa_cheng@yvr.ca

Italy - since we arrived on Monday, we did not take advantage of the new system Vancouver is using.

As far as the Airport Improvement Fee - this is a fee that the Vancouver airport has been charging for passengers departing from Vancouver (I believe the fee is to help pay for the airport). Normally it is an extra step you have to go through along the way to pay this $8-10 fee. Now they are including this fee in the price of the ticket and you don't have to stop and pay this as an extra step when you are departing the airport.

I took tons of pictures - just need time to sort them out. Hopefully I will be able to post some this weekend.

whenzuc,

The guy who responded to my e-mail was Drew Pankrath and his e-mail address is Drew_Pankrath@yvr.ca

coral,

he didn't mention anything about having to have purchased the air/sea package. We did not, we bought our plane tickets separately. Guess I should ask him about that, though.

He's a real helpful guy!

sarahjane

Serenade to Alaska 7/25/04!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;7;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Serenade 7/04

Enchantment 1/04

Voyager 7/02

Majesty 2/01

FYI - We went through the Vancouver airport on Sunday and were not required to purchase the airport improvement fee. We flew American and were on a RCI cruise. I purchased my air independently.

The nice surprise was when we landed in Vancouver. Because we had tagged our luggage before leaving home, our bags were taken from the airport to the ship for us. We did check the baggage area as a precaution though.

Fascination 11/01

Inspiration 6/02

Conquest 1/03

Holiday 7/03

Radiance 5/04

Most tickets now do include the AIF fee already in your ticket. It was a big headache around here to remember to bring ten bucks for your fee. Of course when they decided to "conveniently add it to your ticket, the fee increased also. icon_mad.gif

Really nice to hear that your luggage can go straight to the airport from the ship icon_smile.gif - wish other airports had the same deal with the cruise-ship terminals!

"Blessed are the FLEXIBLE for they shall never be bent out of shape"

Vision / Seas 03/2002

Star Princess 03/2003

Radiance / Seas 07/2004

In the past, we've had to set luggage out the last night before going to bed and then claim it in the cruise terminal before heading to the airport. Will they eliminate this all together then and you surrender your luggage when you receive your boarding pass on board the ship?

NCL Seward Western 11/89

Regal Princess Eastern 11/94

Sun Princess Western 11/97

Grand Princess Eastern 11/00

NCL Sun Coastal 5/03

NCL Sky Alaska 7/03

Golden Princess Eastern 1/04

HAL Zaandam Alaska 7/04

Coral, Thanks for your input, the info I've been reading so far has been as clear as mud. I had to call my airline, they had a change in my flight, so I asked them about the charge. They said I would still have to pay it at the airport. It's nice to hear from someone who has actually been there.

Kathy

can someone please explain this to me because I am totally confused. We are sailing into Vancouver on a Princess cruise on a Monday and flying home on Cathay Pacific. What happens to our luggage on the ship and how does the luggage get to the airport? Do you have the choice to take it with us/ When does it go through airport security?

HappyKs - there is no place at the airport to pay the fee anymore. I asked.

=============

I had a United flight and we sailed in on a Monday - this is what happened for us.

1. They called our color tag and we got off the ship. We quickly went through Canadian Customs when we got off the ship.

2. We got directly on a bus (I purchased transfers for $18). We did not identify our luggage at the pier - it was put directly on the bus for us and we just hoped it was there. The luggage was unloaded from the bus before they let us get off the bus. They have free carts to use.

3. When we got to the airport, we were told that we could not check into the airlines until 2 hours before our flight. We got to the airport at 10 am for a 1:59 pm flight. I decided to go up to United right away anyway and ask for an earlier flight. None were available but they had no problems checking us in that early. The airline put the tags on our luggage and gave us boarding passes but you keep the luggage for a short time.

4. We then stood in a number of lines that flowed decently. They checked our passports and boarding passes at the next line before we went any further. I believe we next went through US immigration and then the next line was to turn over our US immigration forms. The next line after that was to turn over our luggage and it was done via airline (they asked and directed us accordingly). I don't believe they weighed anyone's luggage.

5. Next, we were in a line to xray our carry on luggage. We had to take out any electronic devices first and they handled those separately then the rest of the carry on. Then you walk to your gate.

This is what happened for us this Monay. My pink color tickets said I was assigned pink 4 because "I was a US citizen with a flight to the US between the hours of 1-2 pm". If you are flying to Canada first, things may be handled differently.

Words of wisdom - I sort of felt uncomfortable not seeing my luggage at the pier because I didn't know if it made it to the bus. I may in the future, say that I want to take a cab and then collect my luggage at the pier and take a cab. Hope this helps some.

Coral- So since we are all taking a limo, that means that we will take our luggage off of the ship with us when we disembark, and then take it directly into the limo? we are also travelling hoome business class so i want it checked that way.

thanks again for everyone's patience with me.

WhenZuc; I contacted Melissa Cheng who's e-mail address is listed in an above post. I raised the same question you did:

Here is her response:

"I am not too sure what information was provided on the post you found my e-mail address from cruisecritic.com however, for the 2004 cruise season the process for departing cruise passengers has changed slightly. In conjunction with participating airlines and cruiselines were are offering On board check-in.

On board check-in is offered to passengers travelling on the participating cruiselines (Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, HAL, Carnival, NCL) and participating airlines (Air Canada, Alaska, AA, Continental, NW, United) Passengers must be a US citizen or US resident to particpate (due to the approvals we received from TSA)

Essentially, passenger will sign up on board the ship with the purser prior to arrival in Vancouver and pay a processing fee. Baggage is taken on ship the night before arrival into Vancouver and placed in a secure locked location. Baggage is trucked to the airport on the morning of disembaraktion. If the passenger purchased an air/sea package they will be bussed directly into the satellite processing facility. If passengers did not purchase the air/sea package, they will make their own way to the airport and locate the "F" departure area. From there, they will be assisted by staff on the departure process.

Cathay's Pacific flight to NYC (JFK) is considered an International flight and passengers clear US customs/immigration in NY. As such, passengers check-in in the INTERNATIONAL DEPARTURES concourse. They do NOT participate in onboard check-in and the cruise ship facility.

I hope this information helps out, if you have any questions, please let me know.

One question I have for anyone who has just returned using this system. If I have a carry-on bag do I put that out as checked luggage. I plan on bringing home some Alaskan beer for my husband and want to make sure I can carry that myself.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks

ajdeumbia - I am glad you contacted her directly. When I emailed her, it was in March I believe and everything wasn't firmed up yet (according to her). Glad you received accurate information.

======

You would not place your carry on out with your checked baggage.

Thank you all for your help in contacting the appropriate airport personnel to answer my questions. So I guess that I will be leaving my luggage outside of my room the night before we disembark, I'll be carrying my luggage into the limo, and going through customs in New York! I finally got it!

So let me see if I understand this.

When you are at the completion of your cruise, you sigh up with the purser and pay a processing fee. (How much is the fee? Is it included in the transfer fee or cruise fees?)

When you put your luggage out at night, it will be taken and sent directly to your airline at the Vancouver airport. All you have to do is take the transfer to the processing point and then on to the airport?

You don't have to claim your luggage at the dock and drag it with you to the bus.

Is that correct?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;7;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

<Marquee>I'm getting out there - SERENADE OF THE SEAS - July 18, 2004<Marquee>

ebielik, that is my understanding regarding the luggage. You will not claim it just go to departure area where someone will be waiting. Regarding the fee I don't know how much but candidly to avoid the rat race I'm gladly willing to pay.

Quoted from Drew Pankrath with Vancouver airport in an email to me:

Your other option is to check in for your flight onboard the ship the night before (program called 'On Board Check in'). There is a cost of $10.00, however you are issued a boarding pass and your bags are handled for you until you arrive at your final destination. You will also be given a pink card that you show when you enter the terminal, where you are directed to Departures area 'F'. From there, you are taken airside by shuttle and processed by security and CBP. This process allows you to skip the entire check in portion for your flight at the airport, as it has already been done the night before on the ship. You luggage is tagged, screened and boarded on to your aircraft! How easy is that!

Hope this helps.

Archived