Featherdale wildlife park?

Janan

Hello again people:D ....... I got a question; I was recently watching the travel channel and tuned into a program on Austrailia as it was ending. It mentioned Featherdale wildlife park and it looked pretty cool:cool: I've since looked them up online and it is something my wife and I would be interested but 1) is it as good as they say it is? 2) How difficult is it to get to 3) we have an extra day in Sydney before our cruise how long does it take get there (we are staying at the international)? We would like to see other sites in Sydney as well can we do it all:confused: ? I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions!

Thanks

Andy

It would be hard to get to by yourselves. I suggest you look for a tour that does the blue mountains as they usually do stop at featherdale on the way home. See if you can find one that stops at olympic park where you then catch a ferry back to darling harbour/circular quay. It will be a full long day but a way to see a lot in a short time. Use the search feature on this board as this tour has been mentioned a few times.

It would be about an hours drive from the city, not recommended unless you are used to driving here.

Sorry i cant help with tour companies but if you have problems finding one come back here

Hello again people:D ....... I got a question; I was recently watching the travel channel and tuned into a program on Austrailia as it was ending. It mentioned Featherdale wildlife park and it looked pretty cool:cool: I've since looked them up online and it is something my wife and I would be interested but 1) is it as good as they say it is? 2) How difficult is it to get to 3) we have an extra day in Sydney before our cruise how long does it take get there (we are staying at the international)? We would like to see other sites in Sydney as well can we do it all:confused: ? I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions!

Thanks

Andy

We are hoping to make reservations thru this site & it is the Blue Mts & Featherdale & a boat that brings us back into the harbour under the bridge..hoping to make it on Sat before boarding on Sunday--then Sun or Monday do the zoo...well this is for our dates of our cruise

http://www.activitytours.com.au/

o

thanks for posting that link, i checked it out and it looks great for anyone wanting this kind of tour.

I also see the steepest railway and cable car are not included. If you get the time do this as well. They are all close to each other and the place they go from also has great views.

I think the price for what is included is very fair.

have fun

We did a private tour (4 wheel drive vehicle with driver) that stopped at the Wildlife Center then to the Blue Mountains. Even though it was a rainy day, it was wonderful - lovely scenery, amazing animals (we stopped in an area full of kangeroos out in a natural setting to have our morning coffee). Since it was 12 years ago, I don't have the name of the company. but there are many and it was a lovely day!

We took a tour to the Blue Mountains which included a stop at Featherdale. It was fantastic. It was the best stop for DW to get to see and touch the Koala's.

If we take the train on our own to the Blue Mountains, can we get to Featherdale?

We will have been on Kangaroo Island and seen lots of wildlife there...Do you think we should still go to Featherdale?

Thanks for any help!

We are hoping to make reservations thru this site & it is the Blue Mts & Featherdale & a boat that brings us back into the harbour under the bridge..hoping to make it on Sat before boarding on Sunday--then Sun or Monday do the zoo...well this is for our dates of our cruise

http://www.activitytours.com.au/

o

Syl:

Here's the tour operator that we're considering using when going to the Blue Mountains:

http://www.wonderbus.com.au

One of the stops is at Featherdale. If you can believe their website, they claim to be one of the best tour operators...

BTW: we'll be on the Sydney -Aukland cruise with you, leaving on 1/20/08.

Art & Marilyn

thanks for posting that link, i checked it out and it looks great for anyone wanting this kind of tour.

I also see the steepest railway and cable car are not included. If you get the time do this as well. They are all close to each other and the place they go from also has great views.

I think the price for what is included is very fair.

have fun

Yes I figure we will pay whatever the cost is while there--need to be on the steepest railway. I haven't booked it yet tho--am still waiting incase something better pops up...;) something tells me tho that we might fall asleep on the ride out...if our clocks are still weird in our brains..or lack thereof

We took a tour to the Blue Mountains which included a stop at Featherdale. It was fantastic. It was the best stop for DW to get to see and touch the Koala's.

Yep I know we can't hold them in this part of the country--but we can touch & get our picture taken so am hoping for a good one...glad to hear your tour was good. Do you know the company that you went with? Or did you go off the ship?

Syl:

Here's the tour operator that we're considering using when going to the Blue Mountains:

http://www.wonderbus.com.au

One of the stops is at Featherdale. If you can believe their website, they claim to be one of the best tour operators...

BTW: we'll be on the Sydney -Aukland cruise with you, leaving on 1/20/08.

Art & Marilyn

Yes I remember seeing your name..What day are you coming into Sydney? I am not sure about this one as it goes to a winery--which I have no need to do..otherwise sounds a bit like the one I am still looking at. It is a bit higher in cost--not that the amount is much of anything..seeing that wonderbus on the line is sorta frightening...:eek:

Baggirl, we've been to both Kangaroo Island and Featherdale and enjoyed both a great deal. Here is the website for transportation in Sydney and surrounds. You can see the different types of transport available to get to your destinations and how long a trip it will be.

http://www.131500.info/realtime/default.asp

Sheila, was your stop to see the kangaroos in their natural setting at Euroka Clearing?

Baggirl, we've been to both Kangaroo Island and Featherdale and enjoyed both a great deal. Here is the website for transportation in Sydney and surrounds. You can see the different types of transport available to get to your destinations and how long a trip it will be.

http://www.131500.info/realtime/default.asp

Sheila, was your stop to see the kangaroos in their natural setting at Euroka Clearing?

rjscott, Thanks for the information. I wasn't able to really find out if I could take the public train and see both the Blue Mts. and Featherdale Park?

I can always ask the consierge at my hotel.

if you only have the day i personally wouldnt recommend you catch public transport. you would spend too much time getting there. Much better to pay a bit extra and spend more time admiring the view and playing with the animals.

well this is my opinion anyway

if you only have the day i personally wouldnt recommend you catch public transport. you would spend too much time getting there. Much better to pay a bit extra and spend more time admiring the view and playing with the animals.

well this is my opinion anyway

Kaseyoz, I agree with your opinion. I have found that the tours we've been on in Australia have been a very good value for the money. The drivers are very knowledgable and entertaining.

For anyone looking for another wildlife park outside Sydney, we also enjoyed Koala Park Sanctuary. http://www.koalaparksanctuary.com.au/

Kaseyoz, I agree with your opinion. I have found that the tours we've been on in Australia have been a very good value for the money. The drivers are very knowledgable and entertaining.

For anyone looking for another wildlife park outside Sydney, we also enjoyed Koala Park Sanctuary. http://www.koalaparksanctuary.com.au/

I had heard that the train gets you to the Blue Mts more quickly than a tour as the train avoids city traffic. Is this correct or do you still recommend a tour for the Blue Mts?

Do you think that Featherdale Park and Blue Mts. are doable in one day?

Sheila, no problem, was just curious. Many of the tours that stop at Featherdale and the Blue MTs stop at Euroka clearing. It really is neat to see the kangaroos in the wild.

Baggirl, we spent two days at the Blue Mts, but it is doable in one. Adding Featherdale to that, with the travel time, may make you feel you are on National Lampoon's Vacation. How were you planning to get around once at the Blue MTs?

Sheila, no problem, was just curious. Many of the tours that stop at Featherdale and the Blue MTs stop at Euroka clearing. It really is neat to see the kangaroos in the wild.

Baggirl, we spent two days at the Blue Mts, but it is doable in one. Adding Featherdale to that, with the travel time, may make you feel you are on National Lampoon's Vacation. How were you planning to get around once at the Blue MTs?

rjscott,

We are trying to see as much of this country as possible.

There is a hop- on - hop -off bus which we can get when we arrive at the train station. I think it has narrative with information. Do you have any ideas or suggestions ? Do you think a tour would be better? If so, which would you suggest? Thanks for your help!

rjscott

This is the National Lampoon vacation...We are trying to see as much as we possibly can.

There is a Hop-on-Hop -off bus that meets us at the train station and I believe it has narrative as you go through the park. Would you suggest a tour rather than "on our own"?

If so, do you have any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

rjscott

This is the National Lampoon vacation...We are trying to see as much as we possibly can.

There is a Hop-on-Hop -off bus that meets us at the train station and I believe it has narrative as you go through the park. Would you suggest a tour rather than "on our own"?

If so, do you have any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Baggirl, I'm familiar with the hop on/hop off bus, and I think it's a good choice for seeing the Blue Mts. However, if you also want to do Featherdale, I really think you'd be better off on a tour that does both. That way, you won't have to worry about making your transportation connections from one area to another, etc. We did the Blue Mts on our own, but I did hear good things about Wonder Bus. Also, there is some good info on Trip Advisor. I used TA quite a bit when planning our trip to Sydney last Dec. Here's a link to a discussion on the Blue Mts: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k1316746-l7918354-Blue_Mountains-Sydney_New_South_Wales.html#7918354

Archived