Be Careful!

sagiv666

Two of the biggest scams I have been warned about are:

1. If you are with your spouse and/or children, there are those who offer to take a picture of all of you. As soon as you prepare for a pictire and give them your camera, they run off with it.

2. This is for ladies who have a zippered handbag they carry over their shoulder; this could also apply to men with zippered camera bags. Never hang them over your shoulder with the zipper to your back. Some thieves will carefully unzip them and steal from the bags.:mad:

Thanks for the warning as i have sorn a ziiped bag towards my back and never thought twice about it. :o I would never give my camera to a total stranger to take a picture...:eek: reminds me of the Chevy Chase movie..... Eiurpoean Vacation where the guy takes the camera and the Griswalds all get into the fountain for a picture and the guy runs off! The video of the wife from home turns up all over in europe! :eek:

I can't live my life worried about every scam that someone could possibly come up with. :) I have given my camera to many a stranger to take a picture for me - and many a stranger has given me their camera for me to help them out. And I will probably continue to do so.......

I agree with no offense meant to the OP. :) Seems we all have different comfort levels. Happy Sailing Everyone.

for someone to take our picture plenty of times and it was always returned to him! Of course you need to look for couples and people who are not young kids or the such to hand them your camera! When we were at St. Thomas at the bar on top of the hill where the tram takes you for a birds eye view of the Island there was a gentlemen dining there and we knew we could trust him to take our picture and he did and of course he returned our camera! You just have to know where and when to ask someone to take your picture! If they look like they have nothing then I would not hand over my camera! Other tourists will be fine to exchange cameras with!!! Carl will take their picture and they in return take ours! You just have to be aware of your surrondings and the individuals that you trust with your camera! Be safe and be smart!!! Happy Sailings and Bon Voyage!!! Melissa

When we took our European cruise, you can bet we were more careful in port. We were well warned by most of our guides to protect our personal belongings, even to zip our purses inside of our coats. At the Sistine Chapel, we were warned not to look "up" at the ceiling for too long, because the gypsies will pickpocket you faster than you know.

I've also heard not to use your credit cards in Cozumel, or at the pier in Belize, several people posted about 100's of dollars that showed up on their bills from these two places.

When we took our European cruise, you can bet we were more careful in port. We were well warned by most of our guides to protect our personal belongings, even to zip our purses inside of our coats. At the Sistine Chapel, we were warned not to look "up" at the ceiling for too long, because the gypsies will pickpocket you faster than you know.

I've also heard not to use your credit cards in Cozumel, or at the pier in Belize, several people posted about 100's of dollars that showed up on their bills from these two places.

The "gypsies"????? Nice to see the Italians are still showing a profound penchant for prejudice. The "gypsies" are Roma, gypsy is a derogatory term.

For the OP, best to be wary but, like others above, we have let others take our picture with our camera and we do the same for them.

Thanks for the warning as i have sorn a ziiped bag towards my back and never thought twice about it. :o I would never give my camera to a total stranger to take a picture...:eek: reminds me of the Chevy Chase movie..... Eiurpoean Vacation where the guy takes the camera and the Griswalds all get into the fountain for a picture and the guy runs off! The video of the wife from home turns up all over in europe! :eek:

that's funny you mentioned that movie, my DH and I were just talking about it last night with some friends, that exact scene too :D

Good tips though....although I have never encountered anything like that personally, I guess we just trust people too much, maybe a character flaw? :)

We were at DisneyWorld waiting in line to greet a costumed character. I asked the person in line behind us if he would take our photo with the character. I handed him our camera and he started snapping photos of the unknown people that were standing with Eeyore!:D At this point we realized that he was a non-english speaker. :D I was able to explain that we wanted a photo of OURSELVES with the character and thanked him profusely. :) :)

I can't live my life worried about every scam that someone could possibly come up with. :) I have given my camera to many a stranger to take a picture for me - and many a stranger has given me their camera for me to help them out. And I will probably continue to do so.......

When we see obvious tourists at the same photo op place, I often say "Do you want to be all in the picture", and they reciprocate. :)

We were at DisneyWorld waiting in line to greet a costumed character. I asked the person in line behind us if he would take our photo with the character. I handed him our camera and he started snapping photos of the unknown people that were standing with Eeyore!:D At this point we realized that he was a non-english speaker. :D I was able to explain that we wanted a photo of OURSELVES with the character and thanked him profusely. :) :)

But were the unknown people with Eeyore more photogenic? :D Good story.

With the advent of digital cameras gone are the days of someone asking me to take a photo with a regular point and shoot...[i was much younger at the time] and cutting off their heads deliberately in the photograph. They never realised till they got them developed....now with digitals they can see the result straight away...big sighhh!! Such fun as a teenager!

The "gypsies"????? Nice to see the Italians are still showing a profound penchant for prejudice. The "gypsies" are Roma, gypsy is a derogatory term.

I apologize if I offended you, that's what our guides called certain people both in Rome, and in Athens. :(

I didn't go half way around the world and spend $10K on a cruise to not look too long at the Sistine Chapel!! I sat there and looked at that masterpiece for a good long time, probably 20 minutes.

Taking reasonable precautions is always wise but to alter your life in such a way is to let the bad guys win.

I apologize if I offended you, that's what our guides called certain people both in Rome, and in Athens. :(

No, you didn't offend at all...it was your guides in Rome that are offensive (sadly, they are not alone). Most people don't know much about the people who are Roma, gypsy is a term that people are familiar with, unfortunately. It is a term however, that is degrading for Roma.

You did not offend and I certainly didn't intend for you to feel that way :).

On our Alaska cruise, I asked a younger man (he was with a woman) to take our picture as we were cruising the glaciers. With a straight face, he said, "No." Serious as could be. Then he started laughing. Totally freaked me out.

I always offer to take pictures of groups, and people have reciprocated. But I wouldn't ask just any schmo on the street.

I'm always paranoid about my purse.

With the advent of digital cameras gone are the days of someone asking me to take a photo with a regular point and shoot...[i was much younger at the time] and cutting off their heads deliberately in the photograph. They never realised till they got them developed....now with digitals they can see the result straight away...big sighhh!! Such fun as a teenager!

Too funny! I've been handed my fair share of cameras to take pictures of strangers and I've never thought of doing that. lol. I know I'd be pretty amused to get that roll of film developed, I can hear the discussion now ... "where was this taken? who took this one?" lol.

1. If you are with your spouse and/or children, there are those who offer to take a picture of all of you. As soon as you prepare for a pictire and give them your camera, they run off with it.

If you have an expensive digital camera and are concerned about losing it this way or any other way or having it damaged, use a cheap disposible camera. Even cheap disposible digital are now available. That's what I still use if going to the beach or someplace where a good camera could be lost, damaged or stolen. I never had some one run off with my disposible camera or had it stolen on my many vacation. Actually have never had someone run off with my good camera but have lost and damaged them at the beach and doing water and other activities.

Yes, I saw the movie too. But, unfortunately it happens all too often and we're not in a movie.

I remember walking on the street near where I work (NYC) and a guy ran up and stuck his hand in my pocket hoping to get my wallet. He would have, but he put his hand on the wrong side and just came out with some loose change.

This was bad enough, but I cringe,when I think of what happens on vacations. When in jail, fellow prisoners don't talk to each other about the weather -- they exchange ideas for bigger and better ways to separate us from our $$$, cameras, etc.

With an ounce of prevention, enjoy your cruising!!!:)

And one day, you may be watching Chevy Chase in "European Vacation", and when they show the scene where this guy steals his camera after pretending to take a picture of the family, you will be able to say: "It happened to me too!":eek:

for someone to take our picture plenty of times and it was always returned to him! Of course you need to look for couples and people who are not young kids or the such to hand them your camera! When we were at St. Thomas at the bar on top of the hill where the tram takes you for a birds eye view of the Island there was a gentlemen dining there and we knew we could trust him to take our picture and he did and of course he returned our camera! You just have to know where and when to ask someone to take your picture! If they look like they have nothing then I would not hand over my camera! Other tourists will be fine to exchange cameras with!!! Carl will take their picture and they in return take ours! You just have to be aware of your surrondings and the individuals that you trust with your camera! Be safe and be smart!!! Happy Sailings and Bon Voyage!!! Melissa

That's why I feel better when a couple takes our picture with our camera and we take theirs with their camera. One added benefit -- you get to see, touch, use, and ask questions about different cameras without going to a store. :)

I didn't go half way around the world and spend $10K on a cruise to not look too long at the Sistine Chapel!! I sat there and looked at that masterpiece for a good long time, probably 20 minutes.

Taking reasonable precautions is always wise but to alter your life in such a way is to let the bad guys win.

I agree. If I'm at the Sistine Chapel, I will take as long as possible according to how my wife and I feel, to look at Michelangelo's masterpiece. If a thief has the idea of using this to rob tourists.....well wouldn't it be in Florence's (and Italy's) best interest -- as well as cruise lines and airlines -- to be sure there is enough security so as to frustrate any potential thief?:rolleyes:

If you have an expensive digital camera and are concerned about losing it this way or any other way or having it damaged, use a cheap disposible camera. Even cheap disposible digital are now available. That's what I still use if going to the beach or someplace where a good camera could be lost, damaged or stolen. I never had some one run off with my disposible camera or had it stolen on my many vacation. Actually have never had someone run off with my good camera but have lost and damaged them at the beach and doing water and other activities.

You have been to Alaska, according to your list of cruises -- in fact, last mongth my wife took a cruise to Alaska aboard the Radiance. I've been going through my pictures, and I wonder how so many pictures would have come out if I used just a cheap disposable camera. My digital camera is a "point and shoot" version, but it has many properties -- including a telephoto lens -- found in more expensive digitals. Let's face it, I'm not going to hope a whale comes alongside my boat so I will be able to get good shots from a disposable. If you want to enjoy your cruise with photos, you know how to protect your camera from damage, as well as from theft.:)

Archived