days of research,UGH ! for the wrong ship !! Need info about the Grand

motherchic

Did you ever have days when you feel if your head wasnt attached really well, it would just roll away??

This is my first Princess cruise. I have been researching itineraries, ships etc...Some where in this pea sized brain I remember the ship as the CB. So I have read every review about the CB.

Today when I go to the Princess web site I realize that the ship is the Grand.

I would appreciate any pros and cons about the Grand.

And as a newbie- what not to miss.

-cabin recommendations

-things to see and do or eat

Thank you for any info and your time

Nadine

Your research isn't in vain. You've already done 95% of your research on the Grand. :) There's not a whole lot different between the Caribbean and the Grand Princess. The major differences are that the CB has an extra deck of cabins and is a newer ship. The basics and the deck plans are essentially the same on both ships. Cabin layouts are also pretty much the same.

I agree, the only real difference aside from the number of people on board is that the total buffet area is larger (at the sacrifice of Horizon Terrace). MUTS was added to Grand Princess as an experiment. It turned out to be poorly executed in my opinion because the main viewing area is completely exposed to the wind and weather.

The traditional dining room is located aft on Grand Princess. The same dining room on CB is an Anytime dining room. One nice change about CB is that they put restrooms in a more convenient location to the aft dining room.

CB is supposed to be upgraded to make her equivalent to Crown Princess. This will result in some remodeling in the atrium, with the work to be done next April, I believe.

The Grand Princess was the premier ship for Princess in late 1990's. I have sailed her three times and the Caribbean Princess twice (as well as some other ships). She was such an awesome ship that Princess decided to model some of the other ships after her, hence her sister ships (Golden and Star) and her one off ships such as the Caribbean Princess.

The Grand has gone through some remodels. You will find her to be a bit more cozy than the Caribbean Princess. Her basic features are very similar. You should have a wonderful vacation on her.

Did you ever have days when you feel if your head wasnt attached really well, it would just roll away??

This is my first Princess cruise. I have been researching itineraries, ships etc...Some where in this pea sized brain I remember the ship as the CB. So I have read every review about the CB.

Today when I go to the Princess web site I realize that the ship is the Grand.

I would appreciate any pros and cons about the Grand.

And as a newbie- what not to miss.

-cabin recommendations

-things to see and do or eat

Thank you for any info and your time

Nadine

What type of cabin are you interested in? We've been in a mini suite, Aloha deck balcony and a Caribe balcony. The Caribe deck balcony was our favorite, especially for the price and the half covered/half uncovered balcony.

I've been on both, as well as the Star. I slightly prefer the Grand and Star over the Caribbean simply due to the amount of people and I like the aft eating area on these ships (that they took away on the Caribbean).

I posted this as a seperate question.....

I was prepared to book the grand and then read recent cruise comments ( poor)about the food.

Does anyone have any input?

Always remember that food is subjective. We enjoyed the food on the Grand. I personally didn't care much for the buffet, but am in the minority in my family with that. Really enjoyed the burgers ar the snack bar, and the pizza. Dining (we had anytime dining) was great! We are going on the Grand again in March.

Everyone has a different opinion about food. I thought the main dining room was excellent on our last two cruises on Grand Princess. We've been on that ship a total of 7 times and my opinion has always been positive about the dining. Sometimes it's been better than others but never anything to cause complaint.

My "excellent" might be "just okay" to someone else. It depends what you are used to and your expectations. I find that the more enjoyable company we have with us, the less time I spend critiquing the food.

Al and I have been on the Grand twice. It was one of our favorite trips. Of course that was years ago when she was brand new. She had a great group of waiters and crew. We have recently talked about going on her again since they changed some things.

Al and I are going on the Crown in February. Did you hear from Cathy and Tom? They are going on the Emerald next year and sent emails to the group asking for us to join them. We are going on an Alaska cruise and can't go but we would love to.

Hope all is well.

Carol

Thank you everyone for your replies. I appreciate them very much.

HI CAROL!!!!!!

So good to hear from you! No, I didnt hear from Cathy, but I have a friend sailing on the Emerald real soon.

Our last cruise was the Panama canal ( 2 weeks) on the Summit. Had one of the aft cabins. It was lovely!! But, would like to try the Princess in 09. The itinerary we liked was on the Grand. Actually also liked the Sun, but dont want to spend the extra money flying to Barbados. anyway I was already to book the Grand when I heard about the complaints about the food recently. Though that could change by the time we get there several times. Enjoy your cruise. Hope all is well with you and your family

Nadine

What type of cabin are you interested in? We've been in a mini suite, Aloha deck balcony and a Caribe balcony. The Caribe deck balcony was our favorite, especially for the price and the half covered/half uncovered balcony.

We booked 3 balcony guarantee BE cabins for 2/2/08 on the Grand and crossed out fingers. We were upgraded to BB cabins, midship, Aloha deck under the pool deck. On paper, these cabins look like gold. Is there a lot of noise late at night from MUTS? How about from the pool deck itself?

We were on the Coral Princess this past February in an almost identical location and did not hear anything. Of course, Coral does not have MUTS.

thanks for your input.

Archived