Thanksgiving 2008 anyone? Past TG experiences?

Anyone planning a Thanksgiving cruise or been on one? What are your thoughts experiences? Good for kids? They would only have to miss 3 days of school instead of a week. I like that idea! How is the holiday on the ship?

We have done it several times. The only "Thanksgiving" thing they do is serve Turkey dinner that night. We will be doing it again in a couple weeks.

I will be on the Enchantment this Thanksgiving. I picked this cruise partly because of the school time off. Because our cruise is Monday-Monday, my son will only miss one full day of school (Tues). Monday we will pick him up a couple hours early, and his school is closed Wed-Fri. The following Monday he will be late (we only have a short drive home). Not bad for a 7 day cruise during school.

I partly miss being home on a holiday, but I will not miss the cooking/shopping/cleaning that goes along with Thanksgiving! During our past experiences with T'giving on a ship (not RCL), you really don't even know it is a holiday except a few decorations and a turkey dinner.

Our first cruise was a Thanksgiving one on Mercury. It was great...funny thing they underestimated how many people would opt for a traditional Turkey day dinner. We had late seating and when my DH ordered the "turkey" dinner the waiter cringed, mumbled, "turkey uh, we ran out but we're cooking more, will you wait a bit?" We did and about 30 minutes later dinner arrived. It was fine they bought glass of wine for all the late dinners but I'll bet they had enough turkey the next year!!!

This year will be our 4th Thanksgiving cruise. Again, like others above, we're working around the school schedules. This year we are taking a 9 day cruise (Friday through Sunday). My daughter will only miss 1/2 day on Friday and that's it!!

I LOVE spending Thanksgiving on a ship. I, honestly, get way more family time. I'm not stuck in the kitchen working/cooking/cleaning etc. I get to spend the day entirely with the ones I love. This has become our family tradition and I hope we are always able to spend it this way.

Oh, and I've given up Turkey for Thanksgiving - I do the Filet :D

We did a family Thanksgiving cruise last year on the Navigator and all 20 of us loved it! Of the 20, 7 were children under 9 and they had a ball. The waiters treated them like royalty and they loved it! They also loved Adventure Ocean, which gave their parents some time to themselves. Worked out great!

I thought the turkey dinner was really pretty good. Could have ordered something else, but wanted to try it and it was cut just like you would at home - not thin. Very tasty!

We would do it again, for sure :D

If you do not mind a ship with more kids then adults, you will be fine.. :eek:

We did thanksgiving on the Rhapsody out of Galveston, a few years ago.

HOLY COW.. We couldn't even get near the pool. :eek: Thank heaven we had an aft Jr suite. It was our sanctuary of quiet.

It may very with the port of departure. When we did thanksgiving out of LAX it did not seem quite so over run with kids..

The kids will love it. They will have alot of other kids to play with..

My girlfriend and I are going to Venice to sail on the Splendor of the Seas over Thanksgiving.

We have sailed four times before, but all were in the Caribbean. We sailed once the week before Christmas, returning on December 24, 2005.

We will post our experiences after the cruise, but I can say, "WE AREN'T WORRIED." It is a cruise and we expect that it will be great.

Wes

We're going on Sovereign this year for Thanksgiving. I've never cruised this time of year, but plan on having a good time. I'm a teacher. We get the whole week off for Thanksgiving. So, I'm sure there will be plenty of kids. Any time I've sailed there have been lots of children. So, it doesn't bother me.

We always vacation over Tgiving week - sometimes cruises, sometimes other things. many European destinations try to "court" Americans since we have extra days off for TGiving.

We've done two HI cruises and one south Pac over TGiving. The ships will serve a turkey dinner if you want it. This year we are cruising out of Venice.

We have a 12YO DD, she always has some company (other times of the year on the same itineraries, she might not) -- but have never had any problems with "hordes" of kids. On both of the HI cruises, the ship's staff said that they brought on some extra help for in the kids clubs and elsewhere anticipating more kids.

Archived