Temsco vs. Coastal Helicopters

baseballmom

I'd love to read comments/experiences regarding either Temsco or Coastal Helicopters. We want to do the helicopter tour/dogsledding trip, either in Skagway with Temsco or in Juneau with Coastal. Any thoughts one way or the other? Based on the other posts I've read, it seems like the actual locations are pretty similar so it may come down to cost, timing (we'll want to do other things in both ports), and most importantly, service and reputation. Thanks for your help!

Laurie

We used Temsco out of Skagway a few weeks ago based on some excellent recommendations, and we were not disappointed. Aside from the fact that it was an incredibly beautiful flight and a great time at the dog sled camp, they were extremely professional, efficient and a well-run operation - probably the best we encountered in our two weeks in Alaska. Can't compare to Coastal, but would highly recommend Temsco based on our experience.

We have done glacier landing with Coastal and they were great to work with.. they have several options... one thing that is great if you have a long port call in Juneau (we have nearly 12 hrs on Diamond Princess next June) is that you can, for example, do whale watching with Orca Enterprises and they will coordinate with Coastal for a glacier helicopter excursion, all of which you can arrange before you leave! You definitely should do one glacier flight while you are in Alaska.. a whole new perspective that you just can't get by sea or land:)

Thanks to you both! Temsco will start taking reservations for 2005 in November, and we'll book the dogsledding trip through them for Skagway.

Caroline, it looks like our paths may cross next June! We leave from Vancouver on June 5th. I've already spoken to Carol at Orca and I know we'll want to do the whale watching trip. Even though we've gone whale watching here in CA, I think it will be quite spectacular up there! We'll be in Juneau for 9 hours, so I'm assuming we'll have time to do that combo tour you mentioned, and still be able to do some shopping!

Laurie,

We also did Orca Enterprises in Juneau and had a great time - combined that with a stop at Mendenhall Glacier, and still had plenty of time in Juneau later. Even if you've done whale watching elsewhere, the setting in Alaska is so beautiful I would go again and again...Have a great time!

Just to chime in here...We used Coastal while in Juneau on the Summit back in July...They were absolutely fantastic...Picked us up on time at the ship (actually they came looking for us), pleasant drive to the airport to pick up the copter...everything was well done with the utmost in professionalism...and it was an experience we won't soon forget...

Well, then I think I have my Skagway AND Juneau trips decided! Once again, all of you generous cruise critics have helped me immensely. I know that this cruise (still so very far away :() will be even better thanks to all of the information I've received from you guys!

And Steve? I'm a California Golden Bear. I hope to see your Bruins at Memorial Stadium in October for our homecoming. Since you've been so kind and I know I'll have more questions as the months go on, I promise to never, ever, bring up the 2000 homecoming game when we won in triple overtime (kinda like what we did to USC last year, only of course beating SC is a million times sweeter). :)

Laurie

I'm a California Golden Bear. I hope to see your Bruins at Memorial Stadium in October for our homecoming.

Now, Laurie...

What is the "all-time" Cal record against the Bruins?

UCLA 47, Cal 26 with one tie...

I always love heading up to Berzerkley for the game...

My favorite?

1978...I believe it was the inaugural "Joe Roth Memorial Game"...

The Golden Bear Quarterbacks put on an awesome display that day...record-setting in fact...

...and generous to a fault...

They through more passes and more touchdowns to Bruins than they did to their own receivers...

TEN interceptions for 194 yards and 4 touchdowns...on interception returns...

Final score: UCLA 45, Cal 0...

Yeah, Cal's had a few "bright spot" close upsets...like that 2000 game...sure helped that our top 2 QBs went out with injuries and the refs gave Cal three chances at the winning field goal...but, hey, those things happen...

Of course, we could always talk Basketball...

You really don't want to know the all-time record there either... :) :) :) :)

Yes, that would be me slinking away with my tail between my legs (but wearing a very lovely 2004 Insight Bowl t-shirt -- any team called the Hokies deserves to lose).

Hey, I live for small victories in my life, so of course I'll hold onto even the smallest glimmers of success! I believe AP ranked the Bears #13 in pre-season. Didn't catch where UCLA is listed. Side note to the side note: My ex-husband is a diehard UCLA fan and kept saying that anything ranking Cal had to be a typo.

At that 2000 game, wasn't it Corey Paus that was injured that day? I know that it was the end of his college career -- sitting in the cheap seats in the endzone, we couldn't tell how serious his injuries were. Truly tragic.

Basketball: Oh, there is NO comparison, although our teams have improved over the years. I grew up in West L.A. (Venice High grad) and my parents and I loved the Bruins (I was all set to attend UCLA until I set eyes on Berkeley -- love at first sight)! When my parents were lucky enough to get tickets, they'd go to the game and then come home to watch the replay on channel 5. When I first went up the Cal, I was still a Bruin basketball fan. The Wooden years were magical and we won't see anything like it again.

My son and I go out to Jackie Robinson Stadium (great place!) at least 2-3 times a season to watch baseball (and even cheer for UCLA...sometimes). He may end up there in 4 years although I've warned him that I'll be the crazy old lady wearing Cal gear!

This is totally off the subject of Alaska and helicopters, but fun nonetheless. I'll end with a great story that I know you'll appreciate: My ex-husband's nephew is a raging USC fan. He was at the UCLA-USC game last fall and UCLA was losing. The Trojan fans were mercilessly taunting the UCLA fans. Finally, the Bruins had had enough, and started shouting back "WE BEAT CAL, WE BEAT CAL." :)

Back to our regular programming: Any words of wisdom re Alaska excursions, port must-sees, anything you wish to share would be gratefully welcomed!

Laurie

Just did a glacier landing tour out of Skagway last week with Temsco and was tremendously impressed with their operation. The pilot we had was an Army vet, Vietnam helicopter gunship pilot, and was extremely professional both as a pilot and as a narrator/interpreter. He had been flying in Alaska for about ten years.

I would strongly recommend using the operator that is located in the earlier of the two ports of call. We just ret'd from NCL Spirit last week. Early this summer I booked a helicopter/dog sled tour with Coastal out of Juneau. I knew these tours could be cancelled due to bad weather so I wanted a back up plan. I knew if Juneau did not work out I could then use TEMSCO in Skagway.

Late July I recd a call from Coastal that they would be closing the dog camp early due to the exceptionally warm summer. I then reverted to my backup plan with TEMSCO in Skagway. One week before we left they too had to end up closing the dog camp early for the same reason. We were still able to take the helicopter tour, but the dog sledding is what I was most looking forward to.

Plan on doing the tour in the first city and then have an alternate in place. Take both tour operators phone numbers and locations with you so you'll be prepared.

Hi Budget Queen -- well, that settles yet another question for me: our first port is Skagway, so I'm planning to book the helicopter tour/sledding excursion in the a.m. and the White Pass Railway in the afternoon. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Laurie

If you have not already booked your White Pass Rail tour, I would strongly suggest booking this through M and M Tours. You will only save about $5 booking with them vs. the ship. However, you get a longer tour (distance), but shorter time (hours). Confused??

The tour they offer takes you to Frasier, British Columbia. The ships tour only takes you to the Summit. Frasier is an addt'l 7-8 miles. These addtl miles is where you will begin to see a different landscape than had you stopped at the Summit.

The other difference is the tour through M and M takes you back to Skagway via a coach bus instead of riding the train. Riding the bus gives you a different perspective than the train and allows you to see things the train did not allow you to see.

The ships tour takes 3 1/2 - 4 hrs and the train/bus tour takes 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. Many people have complained that sitting on the train for almost 4 hrs was a bit much so the tour through M and M alleviates that problem.

The train through the ship picks you up right at the cruise dock. The train through M and M is just a few blocks away depending on where your ship docks. We were on NCL Spirit and it may have been 2-3 blocks at the most.

M and M Tours is located in a red "shack" just past the cruise ship dock.

Couldn't sleep last night so turned on the TV. Lo and behold PBS was having a special about the White Pass Rail. Very interesting to watch now that I've been there myself!

We took the "Heli-Mush" out of Juneau with Era this past July. The helicopter flight was just amazing and really was the highlight of the trip and the dogsledding, was really the cherry on top. For my wife and myself at least, we were more concerned with a company's safety record then their price. In Juneau, Coastal is significantly cheaper then Era, but we were much more comfortable flying with Era. With that said, I would prefer Temsco over Coastal as well. Again this is only my opinion.

Veloran, I truly value all of the opinions shared on here. I feel like I have a team of experts advising me, and it's just great. My goal is to share MY experiences next June with other cruisers, so that their trips are the very best they can be.

Cpayne, thanks for the heads up re M and M. I hadn't even heard of them before your post! I have yet to read one negative post about the White Pass Railway, so I'm really looking forward to that. How many more days? Ohhhh...way too many.

Laurie

I don't know if Vel has FLOWN with anything other than ERA. But I have flown 6 helicopter trips using all three companies. All are long established and no one can give any guarantees. Even my private pilot husband felt these companies were reputable. (he is an A&P mechanic). You need to determine what is right for you- but be fair in the comparisms.

Era, Temsco, and Coastal are all reputable companies. I never said anything different. One doesn't have to fly with everyone though to research a company's safety record.

When my wife and I travel, we do extensive planning and research. Budgeting, flexibility, safety, are just some of the many factors we take into consideration. In the case of air travel, we just happen to put safety our top priority. Now again, in no way am I saying Coastal is a bad company or not a safe one. Like Budget Queen said, there are no guarantees. All I stated was that my wife and I happened to feel more comfortable flying with Era.

I respect and value everyone's opinions on these boards for they were of great help when we went to Alaska this past July.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Coastal in Juneau last month. We loved them. They were friendly and the pilot had years of experience. We felt as safe as we could feel flying with them. We landed on a glacier and walked around. What an experience! OUr friends did the dogsledding, but both Coastal and Temsco had already shut down their dog sled operations for the year. Our friends walked off the ship and found the only company open!

It depends on the helicopter, contact Coastal direct and inquire the seating. Kids usually rave about the glaicer dog sledding. I wouldn't consider a child less than perhap 5-6 however? TEMSCO out of Skagway gives kids rates, I don't know if Coastal does? You also need to plan an arrival before mid August, last 2 years the dog camps were closing by then.