Day trip from Rome?

Howdy, y'all

I will be the lone ranger on the last day of our cruise vacation as the rest of my party will fly on before me (crazy airline schedules). I will be in Rome on November 12th and as I have kind of "been there, done that" (and many sights in Rome are closed Mondays) I would like to take a day trip from Rome. My hotel is within spitting distance of stazione centrale, so any place I can get by train might be best. I have been to Florence, Pisa, and Siena, and will have visited Naples by then. I don't mind a train ride of up to three hours length. Any ideas?

Howdy, y'all

I will be the lone ranger on the last day of our cruise vacation as the rest of my party will fly on before me (crazy airline schedules). I will be in Rome on November 12th and as I have kind of "been there, done that" (and many sights in Rome are closed Mondays) I would like to take a day trip from Rome. My hotel is within spitting distance of stazione centrale, so any place I can get by train might be best. I have been to Florence, Pisa, and Siena, and will have visited Naples by then. I don't mind a train ride of up to three hours length. Any ideas?

Somehwere on CC somebody had asked abouit a day trip to Orvieto. It has been eons since I was there so I did a google search. Yes, I think that I could go there. Do a Google search. And check out the caves.

If you are interested in ancient Rome, Ostia Antica is fascinating. It's the old Roman port, very well preserved. The train ride there is under an hour; altogether it's about a long half-day excursion.

Or what about Tivoli, where you can see Hadrian's villa and the villa d'Este? Also a very reasonable day's trip.

Regarding the previous post the Villa d"Este is also closed on Mondays. As I think you already know, many things are closed on Monday's (including many shops) and this is throughout the country, not just in Rome.

Hank

I think Orvieto would work well. It's very easy to reach from Rome--about 75 minutes on the train, and then you take a funicular up to the town. Orvieto is small enough to comfortably explore in a day, and the cathedral has fabulous frescoes. As a bonus, the views of the Umbrian countryside are magnificent.

If you're feeling more adventurous, Assisi is also beautiful, but is a little further--just over 2 hours by train. Keep in mind that you will have limited daylight in November.

I'll second Assisi as a terrific day-trip from Rome. There are plenty of trains there and back every day. It's a small, compact walled city that is easy to see in its entirety on foot. And the atmosphere is so peaceful! It's a refreshing change from the big-city feel of Rome.

Archived