Self Debarkation

I have done self debarkation in Galveston. Hated it really. It was a zoo to get out, the lines were horrible...too much pushing and shoving.

We enjoyed using the private departure lounge and we were off ship with hardly any line of people. We were through customs/immigration and to the car before 8:45 AM.

NO pushing and shoving or any such thing.

Because I only bring a very small amount of luggage, I've only done self debarkation for the past year or two. It varies a bit my cruise and ship, but basically you squeeze in a very early breakfast, haul your items down to the debarkation deck (by stairs or by elevator), and wait to be let off. This usually happens between 645 - 715. The line can start forming much earlier. The process is not very structured, but there is usually a security guard and or cruise director staff person watching the process.

IME, the biggest problem comes from people who have TONS of stuff and try to self debark, as they struggle to carry everything. It's really intended for people who travel light, but like so many other things, RCI doesn't enforce this...:rolleyes:

We have done self debarkation the last 3 cruises and were very happy with it. Yes, there were a fair number of people, and yes - a few (aren't there always ;) so you might as well just assume that is a given in any situation or venue) had too much luggage. And yes you did some waiting.

But this awaiting has always been a part of debarkation. And with self debark you avoid the ever popular "I can find my black bag" game after you get off the ship.

We drive to port and have a long trip home once we get off the ship. To be in the car and on the road by 8AM has been wonderful........:)

Wait, what am I saying. More people could want to do this. I take it all back. Self debarkation is a NIGHTMARE! Don't try it whatever you do!!!!!

As another poster said, the actual procedure can vary by ship (even within the same cruiseline). In May on the GOS, all self-disembarkers were told to report to the theater (by a certain time) with all their luggage. Once the ship was cleared by customs (this was in Balto), self-disembarkers were allowed off in large groups (not all at once, since the theater was almost full!) Fortunately, the gangway was on that deck, so we didn't have to negotiate stairs. Very easy and well-organized!

However, on other ships, the gangway has been on another deck, and while the elevators are still operating, it is frequently difficult to actually get in one. First, one of the elevators will be taken over by the crew (since they're still moving luggage, etc off the ship). Secondly, people will still be going to breakfast, etc- you and your luggage just might not fit into the elevator. You'll eventually get on, but if you're in a hurry to get off the ship- be prepared to take the stairs.

And, as several have said, most of the complaints about this process seem to involve the many people who just didn't get the concept that self-disembarking means carrying all your own stuff. (As they're blocking the exit, you'll hear a passenger ask for a porter to come aboard- which is not allowed- or for a luggage cart- also not allowed.)

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

We did self-deb. last year on Soveriegn and are planning on it this year. (back probelm- travel very light)

I can't remember how we did it last year.

Do you have to go off at the time they designate for "walkers"? Or can you go when you are ready, eg. later after a leisurely breakfast?

ML

On most ships, if you do self disembark you have to go when they call for the self disembark option or wait for your color to be called.

On most ships, they use the colors to control how many people are entering the immigration/customs area at a time (in addition to sorting baggage).

Self Disembarking, is when you are first to leave the ship, once the ship has cleared customs and immigration, You do not put your luggage out the nite before in the hall, like normal pax do who, you will carry all your luggage off with you in the morning when you self embark, and proceed with your luggage through customs and immigration. If you don't self embark, the cruiseline will assign you a luggage tag, the day before your departure ( the color tag is determined from a survey that is pit in your cabin, during the middle of the week, after you confirm, your departure imformation. Such as airflight time, driving, etc.) the colored luggage tags are placed on your luggage and the luggage has to be placed outside your stateroom, the nite before departure. On departure day , all pax must vacate their cabins by 8am. When your colored luggage tag is called ( from the intercom) you will then proceed to embark. You will go to the baggage area, retrieve you luggage and go through customs and immigration.

I have done self embarking several times, and it is so much quicker, than having to find your luggage and wait in long lines. I have been off a ship by 6:40am and at the airport by 7:20am., and it was the Liberty Ship which hold 3500+ pax.

This is going to be a hard choice for us to make. We just learned that threre will be MANY ships in port returning Ft lauderdale when our Jewel of the seaes returns..& can surmise that the FLL airport will be a ZOO to say the least . Even if one bag goes astray we will lose time unless bags are with us...

We are considering doing the self -disembarkation-- maybe taking smaller suitcases VERSUS havig now turned Diamond getting priority disembarkation. Although hard to predict, which group do you think will get to the taxis first?

OK,

So if we do it the regular way, we have to be out of the rooms by 8:00. At that time, do we get to use the restaurants or is all breakfast over?? If we are not in a hurry, are we just better to have a leisurely breakfast, or is this not an option?

only the smorgasbord breakfast is open on departure day

So if we just have breakfast can we take our time to get off and avoid standing in line??? Or do they make you get off according to color??

How long does this whole process take?? I hate lines, but if we can just sit and eat and chill out, I have no problem just relaxing till the line goes down

So if we just have breakfast can we take our time to get off and avoid standing in line??? Or do they make you get off according to color??

How long does this whole process take?? I hate lines, but if we can just sit and eat and chill out, I have no problem just relaxing till the line goes down

On Serenade, the dining room and the windjammer are both open for breakfast. I usually get up, go eat breakfast in the dining room, then go back to my room right before 8am (the time you have to be out of your room) in order to retrieve my bags. I then go to the waiting area.

On Serenade in San Juan, departure times are decided by flight times. How long disembarkment takes just depends on the day. On our cruise, we were staying over after the cruise and so were in the last group off, and we were off the ship around 10:30am. Serenade in San Juan did not have a self disembark option.

We did self debark off of Mariner in February. We left our cabin at 7am and were in the car by 8am. We opted to do breakfast elsewhere because it gets pretty crowded at the buffet that morning.

We travel light and you have to be able to manage your own luggage throughout debarkation. We usually take one suitcase for both of us, a smaller carry on bag, plus a backpack - the size kids use for their books. We were allowed to use the elevator but I have heard tales of not having elevator usage... I think it just depends.

We opted for self debark this time because the cruise prior we spent over an hour looking for our one bag in the room they sent us to, only to find that it was actually in the other room. We tried to get to the other room to track it down but they wouldn't let us until we threw a fit after looking for so long. Sure enough... it was in the other baggage room the whole time.

I have done several B2B cruises. some pax were starting to embark by colors as early as 7:15 am(with colored tags) , and pax stayed on as late as 11:00am. You can just hang out until final call, but I would think11:00 ish would be around the latest to hang out till. Some ships start to let the new pax on as early as 11:30, which means the ship has to be emptied of the prior cruisers.

When we did the self embarking(their were 7 of us), we each had 2 suitcases and had elevator use, and was way easier then scouting through all the luggage, if its even available in the baggage claim area to scout through. I have waited in baggage areas well over an hour , before the luggage even appeared.

I'm not sure if we should do self-disembarkation or early disembarkation with D/D+. There will be 4 other ships in FLL the day we arrive and we have an 11:00 flight from West Palm. I've hired a driver to pick us up so we don't have taxi concerns. Do self disembarkers go first, or do D/D+ get to go first? Either way we'll be carrying our luggage off. TIA

I'm not sure if we should do self-disembarkation or early disembarkation with D/D+. There will be 4 other ships in FLL the day we arrive and we have an 11:00 flight from West Palm. I've hired a driver to pick us up so we don't have taxi concerns. Do self disembarkers go first, or do D/D+ get to go first? Either way we'll be carrying our luggage off. TIA

One goes right after the other (usually self disembarkers then priority disembarkers), so bottom line, I don't think it makes much difference...

One goes right after the other (usually self disembarkers then priority disembarkers), so bottom line, I don't think it makes much difference...

Thanks, Patrick. That's kinda what I thought.

BTW, really enjoyed your Alaska blog. :cool:

ok, explain the "rooms" to sort bags to me.

They take your luggage the night before and take it where?? Then we have to find it back??

remember I am a newbie and don't laugh at me, but I don't understand????

All the bags are taken off the ship and placed in a large room in the terminal. They are separated by time of debarkation. But there are hundreds of bags lined up. Probably 80-90% black bags. :eek: And you just walk amongst the dozens of rows looking for your bag.

That is why you will see that people will do things like put bright yellow or neon green ribbons, etc on their luggage - to help them spot their bag more quickly amongst the hoard......:)

Archived