Self Debarkation

The main purpose of self disembarking is for people(with luggage) to be able to leave with their luggage for early departure times. The times self embarking starts, is before the HERDS(without luggage) start to disembark. If you plan on doing self embarking after the times posted, that means you will be taking luggage, either on the elevators, or through the halls, with long lines of people with strollers, carry ons, etc. and causing havoc(since you will have luggage) and continuing through the lines of customs and immigration with your LUGGAGE, causing more congestion. I am sure the pax that have colors will not be pleased if you plan on leaving while they are. If you want to stay on with your luggage and leave at the very last call, then it shouldn't be a problem. The colored luggage also have departure plans too, and that is why they are assigned colors for departures. They don't want to be delayed with pax who choose to self embark and have luggage taking up space in lines. You may think you are the only one that wants to self embark at your convience, there are others who do it too, and the more people that continue to do this, will eventually put a damper on the CHOICE of self embarking and may eliminate the whole program!

Wow , thanks for clarifying that for me.

I think I must have misunderstood the purpose of these boards, I thought it was to help each other get the most of our "cruise experience"

I asked the question because I didn't know the answer. I guess I am crystal clear about it now.

Thanks for your help. :rolleyes:

ML

Self-disembarkation certainly isn't for everyone, we found that out the hard way :rolleyes:

While pmshirl may have been a little passionate about her answer, the truth isn't quite there. The cruise ship will only allow X amount of self-disembarkation tags for each cruise. Although, the truth is also that many people who overpack also believe they are suitable for self-disembarkation;) , hence the huge suitcases and multiple pieces of luggage being balanced and tussled with through the lobbies and crowds. Imagine a hotel with 2500++ guests all leaving the hotel at the same time, it's not a pretty sight!

So, if you are in a big rush to get off the ship, go ahead and haul (key word here-haul) your own bags on ramps, escalators, perhaps even stairs and through lines. We find it is far easier to allow the cruise ship personnel to take our large bags the night before and locate them after disembarkation in the terminal. It has only taken us a few minutes so far, never really all that much of a hassle and for us a far more pleasant experience than do-it-yourself.

The best part of the self-disembarkation for us? The fact that it is so popular it makes finding your luggage in the terminal that much easier!

Bottom line....don't book your travel so tight that you have no cushion in case of a mishap. Over the years there have been many stories of delay caused by different scenarios, mechanical, weather, illness of a pax, strikes (Europe, Barcelona as I recall). The majority of the time there is absolutely no delay...but it is always a possibility.

Enjoy your cruise and understand there will be some lines at some times, so take a big dose of patience along :)

Self-disembarkation certainly isn't for everyone, we found that out the hard way :rolleyes:

While pmshirl may have been a little passionate about her answer, the truth isn't quite there. The cruise ship will only allow X amount of self-disembarkation tags for each cruise.

This is not my experience at all. Some RCI ships state there's a limit, and require you to "sign up" or get a ticket, others do not require anything at all. On the ones that do, I've never had anyone check or take that ticket.

The best part of the self-disembarkation for us? The fact that it is so popular it makes finding your luggage in the terminal that much easier!

LOL this is a nice idea, but I don't think there are that many people doing self - d that it makes your luggage easier to find! :rolleyes:

We have the same choice to make but with self-debark we will already have our luggage in hand--downside is that we are on a high deck & it might be unwiledy if no access to elevators--why would they not be available to self disembarkers?

We have the same choice to make but with self-debark we will already have our luggage in hand--downside is that we are on a high deck & it might be unwiledy if no access to elevators--why would they not be available to self disembarkers?

Technically they are, but they are hard to get as they are filled with pax trying to get to breakfast or elsewhere.

You won't know until that last morning whether you'll be able to easily use the elevators or not. The previous posters were just warning potential self-disembarkers that sometimes you have to take the stairs- especially if you need to be off the ship by a certain time. Some ships don't have many elevator banks (which can make it frustrating throughout the cruise- but that's another topic). On that last morning, many people will be going up and down to the buffet (& dining room)- all around the same time, so the elevators will be full of passengers without luggage- but possibly with trays of food- or at least cups of coffee to take back to their DW's. And your particular cruise may have several passengers who use wheelchairs (and obviously should get priority to use elevators). If you are on a deck inbetween the buffet and the dining room, everytime the elevator stops at your deck, it may be too full for you to squeeze on with your luggage. Also, one elevator at each end of the ship is frequently taken out of service -to be used by the crew to move luggage from the overnight holding area to the deck that they'll use to take it off the ship.

Will you eventually get on an elevator? Yes, but you may need to wait for awhile. So if you are pressed for time- use the stairs. Most of us who posted with cautionary tales have been stuck behind someone who did not understand the program- and stands blocking the exit with too much luggage or holds us an elevator demanding that they (& their 6 pieces of luggage) be allowed on!

When it works smoothly, self-disembarking is great!

Archived