6:30 update what a joke!

CallagDeb

So we all think RCI is so much better than Carnival - well at least there customer's know where they stand. I can't believe this, what is the matter with RCI? Port Canaveral is closed as of tomorrow, Brevard county is closed, and they refuse to make a decision. This is unbelievable! I called at 6:30 and was told nothing was NEW, no but half of Florida is leaving. I feel as though RCI is putting the buck before the customer's safety, I think we all need to relook at Carnival!

I am due to sail on the SOS on Friday! Thanks RCI for all the concern and advice!

RCI press release

Miami - September 1, 2004 - 2:30 p.m. - Royal Caribbean International is closely monitoring the path and progress of Hurricane Frances to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm.

The safety and comfort of our guests are always the foremost concern of Royal Caribbean International.

We will update our Hurricane Frances information three times daily as the storm approaches - at 9:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Given Hurricane Frances' current and projected path, we are currently altering the itineraries of six Royal Caribbean International ships:

Grandeur of the Seas will reverse it itinerary for its August 29 sailing. Tuesday it will call in Nassau, Bahamas, Wednesday it will call at Freeport, Bahamas, and Thursday it will call at Port Canaveral, Florida.

Navigator of the Seas will not make its normal port calls at St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, on Tuesday, San Juan, Puerto Rico, on Wednesday, and Labadee, Hispaniola, on Thursday. Instead, the ship will make a port calls at St. John, Antigua, on Tuesday, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, on Wednesday, and remain at sea on Thursday.

Adventure of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Philipsburg, St. Maarten, on Tuesday. Instead, the ship will spend Tuesday at sea and make a port call at Philipsburg, St Maarten, on Saturday.

Majesty of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Coco Cay, Bahamas, on Wednesday. Instead, the ship will make a port call at Freeport, Bahamas, on Wednesday.

Majesty of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Key West, Florida, on Thursday. Instead, the ship will end its current cruise one day earlier than normal, returning to the Port of Miami on Thursday morning at approximately 7 a.m.

Sovereign of the Seas will end its current cruise one day earlier than normal, returning to Port Canaveral on Thursday at approximately noon.

Voyager of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Freeport, Bahamas, on Friday. Instead, the ship will make a port call at Montego Bay, Jamaica, on Thursday, and spend the day at sea on Friday.

At this time, all other Royal Caribbean International ships are sailing their normal itineraries. We will continue to closely monitor the storm and update this information at 6:30 p.m. today.

I am sure this company has a lot going on right now.

I am also sure that they will take care of everyone invilved in good time.

To add to the information, here is Carnivals press release.

Media Advisory - Hurricane Frances

09/01/2004

HURRICANE FRANCES CAUSING OPERATIONAL CHANGES FOR CARNIVAL CRUISE SHIPS

MEDIA ADVISORY MEDIA ADVISORY MEDIA ADVISORY

MIAMI – Based on the projected path of Hurricane Frances and anticipated port closures around the state of Florida, Carnival Cruise Lines is making the following changes:

FANTASY 3-DAY CRUISE SCHEDULED TO DEPART PORT CANAVERAL THURSDAY, SEPT. 2 -- The voyage will operate and depart at 4:30p as scheduled. The port call at Nassau has been cancelled and the itinerary has been modified to a “cruise-to-nowhere.” Guests who sail will be provided a $100 per person shipboard credit and a 50 percent discount off a future cruise. Those who wish to cancel may do so and receive either a future cruise credit or a full refund.

FASCINATION 3-DAY CRUISE SCHEDULED TO DEPART MIAMI ON FRIDAY, SEPT. 3 – This voyage has been cancelled. Guests have the option of receiving a future cruise credit or a full refund.

OTHER VOYAGES SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE AND DEPART FROM FLORIDA PORTS ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY -- Travel agents and guests are asked to keep in contact with Carnival via the company’s web site at http://www.carnival.com or via phone by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL for recorded updates. Based on the path of the storm and subsequent port closures, some arrivals and departures may be delayed. The latest information will be available via the cruise line’s web site and toll free phone number listed above.

###

I have to say that Carnival has been great today. I left Atlanta at 10:00 this morning driving to Pt Canaveral from Atlanta. As soon as Carnival made a decision about my cruise on the Fantasy tomorrow they contacted me via my cell phone. I am now in Orlando and have not decided as to cruise or not. If the port takes a direct hit then my car may be underwater when we return on Sunday. I will see how things look tomorrow morning and then let Carnival know if we are going. I know that the cruise lines have to be pulling their hair out with all of these last minute changes.

Hurricane Frances Update

Miami - September 1, 2004 - 6:30 p.m. - Royal Caribbean International is closely monitoring the path and progress of Hurricane Frances to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm.

The safety and comfort of our guests are always the foremost concern of Royal Caribbean International.

We will update our Hurricane Frances information three times daily as the storm approaches - at 9:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Given Hurricane Frances' current and projected path, we are currently altering the itineraries of six Royal Caribbean International ships:

Grandeur of the Seas will reverse its itinerary for its August 29 sailing. On Tuesday, it will call in Nassau, Bahamas, and on Wednesday, it will call at Freeport, Bahamas. The ship will not make its normal port call at Port Canaveral, Florida, on Thursday. Instead, it will make a port call in Charleston, South Carolina, on Thursday.

Navigator of the Seas will not make its normal port calls at St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, on Tuesday, San Juan, Puerto Rico, on Wednesday, and Labadee, Hispaniola, on Thursday. Instead, the ship will make a port calls at St. John, Antigua, on Tuesday, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, on Wednesday, and remain at sea on Thursday.

Adventure of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Philipsburg, St. Maarten, on Tuesday. Instead, the ship will spend Tuesday at sea and make a port call at Philipsburg, St Maarten, on Saturday.

Majesty of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Coco Cay, Bahamas, on Wednesday. Instead, the ship will make a port call at Freeport, Bahamas, on Wednesday.

Majesty of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Key West, Florida, on Thursday. Instead, the ship will end its current cruise one day earlier than normal, returning to the Port of Miami on Thursday morning at approximately 7 a.m.

Sovereign of the Seas will end its current cruise one day earlier than normal, returning to Port Canaveral on Thursday at approximately noon.

Voyager of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Freeport, Bahamas, on Friday. Instead, the ship will make a port call at Montego Bay, Jamaica, on Thursday, and spend the day at sea on Friday.

At this time, all other Royal Caribbean International ships are sailing their normal itineraries. We will continue to closely monitor the storm and update this information at 9:30 a.m. Thursday.

All RCI has done is leave the same press release out there with very few modifications and change the date. All Port Canaveral cruise lines should be singing the same song now. I don't expect them to announce all cruises for the weekend but I do expect better out of RCI as a Diamond member especially since they have already said SOS is coming in early, they are leaving the Friday people purposely hanging out. And that is not fair.

MGOBLUE2: I think I have to agree with CallagDeb, and can feel her frustration, in that they are leaving SOS's sailing on *Friday* COMPLETELY out of the update. I know they are probably changing to change ports, etc, but to leave people completely hanging in terms of 'you may cancel without penalty and reschedule' is kind of ridiculous, especially to those Floridians who live on the East Coast and who are trying to make preparations for Frances or those flying in from afar...I am not sailing on Friday, nor do I have a cruise booked with Royal in the near future (unfortuantely :-), but feel that not even mentioning that sailing whatsoever is ridiculous...

CallagDeb, am I right in your thoughts? I wish you and everyone else a smooth and safe weekend whether or not a cruise is planned!

It's bad enough that it looks like the cruise is a bust (regardless of where it goes now, the Bahamas are NOT going to be an option!) but we have to worry about our properties, many of which are STILL damaged from two weeks ago. How would you like a Cat 4 hurricane to rip through your place... while you've still got a tree leaning against your house and tarps on the roof? They need to make sailing optional... and they need to tell people NOW.

I just posted this on another thread... but MGOBLUE2, if you are not from Florida, please don't question people's thoughts on this... we just went through Hurricane Charley and it WASN'T pretty.

I am on that SOS sailing on Friday and I am seriously irritated with RCCL. It is RIDICULOUS of them to wait to give any direction regarding the sailing when the port has been closed and other cruise lines (Carnival) made sailings for Thursday optional and cancelled Friday sailings already.

While I'm *sure* they will say that they are making sure they don't cancel it to hastily for those who would still like to go, they should AT LEAST give notice that canceling is an option based on your preference. There are a lot of us on that ship that are locals and are being EVACUATED as of tomorrow. We need to be worried about packing our house up, not wondering whether we will be packing for a cruise or not.

I, for one, don't like to think that there is a possibility it will sail and I won't get my money back. When I called and talked to a *real* person, he agreed with me but also made sure to say "I'll tell you one thing, if they don't actually cancel the cruise, you ain't getting your money back!" That is RIDICULOUS. Carnival is offering a $100 shipboard credit to those who sail on Thursday, but there is no penalty for canceling.

I just DON'T get it. I've always been very pleased with RCCL in the past, but they have seriously disappointed me. (Did I mention their "6:30 update" was TWO hours late???)

The best weather minds don't really know where this storm is heading. Very small changes in the atmospheric conditions could make a place that looked safe the real target of this storm. It happened with Charley and they say that Francis looks to be a worse storm. I live in the Orlando area and it got plenty of damage, but nothing like Charlotte County. People evacuated from Tampa to parts of Florida that got hit. Where in Florida is this storm not likely to hit? Most of the state is being called at risk. Everywhere from Miami to Jacksonville is preparing for a disaster. I hope that the east cost gets lucky like Tampa did when they escaped without a scratch.

The cruise lines are not in control. The weather is. When they know, they'll tell us. They are loosing lots of money over this - and stand to loose more.

There comes a point in time where they're going to need to decide... it *could* change paths moments before it is due to hit. Now is the time they need to decide in order to give people enough notice.

sherryberry71,

I hope everything goes well too. But, considering that the National Weather Service has announced that their next advisory will be at 7:00am (0300Z) tomorrow morning, why do you think it unreasonable for RCI to wait until 9:30 to announce their updates? It seems to me that a couple of hours after the next NOAA update to make their plans is quite reasonable.

Here's the NOAA forecast:

WTNT21 KNHC 012037

TCMAT1

HURRICANE FRANCES FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 32

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL062004

2100Z WED SEP 01 2004

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTHEAST AND CENTRAL BAHAMAS AND FOR THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS.

HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IS IN EFFECT THE NORTHWEST BAHAMAS.

A HURRICANE WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED

WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION. A

HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE

WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.

AT 5 PM AST...2100Z...THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING FOR THE NORTH COAST OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED.

A HURRICANE WATCH WILL LIKELY BE ISSUED FOR PORTIONS OF THE FLORIDA

EAST COAST TONIGHT.

HURRICANE CENTER LOCATED NEAR 22.0N 71.0W AT 01/2100Z

POSITION ACCURATE WITHIN 15 NM

PRESENT MOVEMENT TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST OR 290 DEGREES AT 13 KT ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE 941 MB EYE DIAMETER 25 NM MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 120 KT WITH GUSTS TO 145 KT.

64 KT....... 70NE 55SE 40SW 40NW.

50 KT.......120NE 75SE 60SW 75NW.

34 KT.......160NE 130SE 80SW 100NW.

12 FT SEAS..275NE 160SE 160SW 275NW.

WINDS AND SEAS VARY GREATLY IN EACH QUADRANT. RADII IN NAUTICAL

MILES ARE THE LARGEST RADII EXPECTED ANYWHERE IN THAT QUADRANT.

REPEAT...CENTER LOCATED NEAR 22.0N 71.0W AT 01/2100Z

AT 01/1800Z CENTER WAS LOCATED NEAR 21.8N 70.5W

FORECAST VALID 02/0600Z 23.1N 73.0W

MAX WIND 125 KT...GUSTS 155 KT.

64 KT... 70NE 55SE 40SW 50NW.

50 KT...120NE 75SE 60SW 75NW.

34 KT...160NE 130SE 80SW 125NW.

FORECAST VALID 02/1800Z 24.3N 74.9W

64 KT... 70NE 55SE 45SW 50NW.

50 KT...120NE 100SE 75SW 100NW.

34 KT...160NE 130SE 100SW 125NW.

FORECAST VALID 03/0600Z 25.4N 76.7W

64 KT... 70NE 55SE 45SW 50NW.

34 KT...170NE 140SE 100SW 125NW.

FORECAST VALID 03/1800Z 26.5N 78.5W

34 KT...170NE 140SE 100SW 125NW.

FORECAST VALID 04/1800Z 28.0N 80.5W

MAX WIND 115 KT...GUSTS 140 KT.

50 KT...120NE 100SE 50SW 75NW.

34 KT...170NE 140SE 75SW 100NW.

EXTENDED OUTLOOK. NOTE...ERRORS FOR TRACK HAVE AVERAGED NEAR 250 NM ON DAY 4 AND 325 NM ON DAY 5...AND FOR INTENSITY NEAR 20 KT EACH DAY OUTLOOK VALID 05/1800Z 29.5N 82.5W...INLAND

MAX WIND 35 KT...GUSTS 45 KT.

OUTLOOK VALID 06/1800Z 32.5N 84.5W...INLAND

MAX WIND 25 KT...GUSTS 35 KT.

REQUEST FOR 3 HOURLY SHIP REPORTS WITHIN 300 MILES OF 22.0N 71.0W

NEXT ADVISORY AT 02/0300Z

FORECASTER AVILA

<<sherryberry71,

I hope everything goes well too. But, considering that the National Weather Service has announced that their next advisory will be at 7:00am (0300Z) tomorrow morning, why do you think it unreasonable for RCI to wait until 9:30 to announce their updates? It seems to me that a couple of hours after the next NOAA update to make their plans is quite reasonable. Here's the forecast:>>

MGoBlue2: I do not think it is reasonable at all that Royal is not even mentioning this sailing (again, I am talking about Friday's SOS that CallagDeb is talking about) when Port Canaveral has already made plans to close, Brevard county is said to have to be evacuated tomorrow (being Thursday)by 2pm (I may have the time wrong, but about that time), and while I do completely understand your point about the next forecast at 7am, I think both you and I and everyone else knows that this storm is going to affect port canaveral and points north and south regardless if it is a direct hit or not. The port is closed, the county is evacuating, and Royal has not made one mention of this particular sailing, and by that I mean "passengers who wish to cancel without penalty or would like to reschedule.....". People ARE going to be affected no matter what happens with this storm is what I am trying to say, and while cruising is the last on some people's minds, I am sure, after going through Charley, I once again do think it is wrong that Royal has not mentioned this sailing whatsoever.

I am not trying to say that Royal needs to make a decision yesterday, I am trying to say that they are not even mentioning it and offering people the option to cancel or reschedule, where, again, I think the frustration lies. If I lived in Florida, particualr on the East Coast, I am not sure I would be able to go on my cruise on Friday knowing that when I get home I may not have a home....

OOPS, MGO, I also meant to say that airports will be closing, so people flying from out of state may wish to fly in early (being tonight or thursday)..Some of those people maybe would want to stay home seeing that Florida is going to be a mess, especially post-cruise, where people will be evacuating and hasnt florida already been declared a state of emergency??? So, again, they need to throw that option out there instead of being way-too-vague...

Also, I am not trying to be rude, etc, i am just posting another point of view, where i can see CallagDeb's frustration, as I worked as a flight attendant for 9 years before my daughter was born...

THE PORT IS CLOSED when the SOS is supposed to sail ...Jeb Bush said don't come to Florida, Brevard (Cape Canaveral) hotels are evacuated, West Palm evacuated, the Cape is closed Thursday and Friday, schools are closed, airlines are rebooking nonrefundable tickets into FL - Carnivail is offering customers choices - nothing - no update is going to change that. It is official. The Port will not suddenly open, and everything back to normal - not until Frances passes will life resume. If SOS is coming back a day early with the Port closed after that they OWE the Friday people an answer - an immediate one, if other cruise lines can do it - so should RCI. No prediction is certain we saw that with Charley - bottom line Frances will be somewhere in Florida this weekend, and the community is reacting and RCI is NOT supporting their efforts.

No who is the one being unreasonable? I think it is RCI - don't bring a ship back early, Ports closed, no hotle rooms, with no offering or explaination - no matter what they will not want us to go to FLORIDA, Brevard County Cape Canaveral on Friday.

They are not really updating, they are editing just a few carefully selected words at a time, and no matter what the weather update is, it will NOT call of the effort of the Cape getting prepared. I don't know if you realize all of that area is one huge barrier island and they have NEVER been hit with a hurricane, and they are in sheer panic.

http://www.portcanaveral.org/news/press/090104a.htm

MEDIA ADVISORY: Port Canaveral Update on Hurricane Frances

September 1, 2004

PORT CANAVERAL - Due to the approach of Hurricane Frances, the Canaveral Port Authority administrative office will be closed Thursday and Friday, September 2 and 3. The Port Authority administrative office is scheduled to re-open on Tuesday, September 7. This date could change depending on the severity of the storm.

The evacuation of the Canaveral Harbor must be completed and all vessels must be out of the Harbor no later than 10:00 a.m. on Friday, September 3rd at which time the harbor will be closed. Failure to remove a vessel can result in a fine of $1,000 per hour, in accordance with Florida Statutes. The Port will work in cooperation with the Brevard Office of Emergency Management and the U.S. Coast Guard to determine when it will be safe to re-open.

Schedules for the cruise ships are subject to change based on the movement of the hurricane. Cruise passengers should stay in constant contact with the cruise lines.

Click here for a copy of the Port's evacuation order.

For the most current information on Port operations, please call the public advisory information line at 321-783-7831 and listen for the prompts. All information is subject to change.

And this is where the Cape is:

Brevard County

CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (321) 637-6670

Brevard County has issued a state of emergency

Brevard County has issued a mandatory evacuation, effective 2 p.m. Thursday, for Merritt Island, the barrier islands, manufactured homes and mobile homes

All Brevard County Schools will be closed on Thursday, Sept. 2 and Friday, Sept. 3

All Brevard County government offices will be closed on Thursday, Sept. 2 and Friday, Sept. 3

The Cocoa Surf Festival is postponed until further notice

Webster University Campuses in Brevard will be closed from Wednesday, Sept. 1 until Tuesday, Sept. 7. For information about next week's next classes call (407) 449-4500

Brevard Community College will be closed Thursday, Sept. 2 and Friday, Sept. 3

Florida Metro University/Melbourne Campus will be closed Thursday, Sept. 2 and Friday, Sept. 3. The college will reopen Tuesday, Sept. 7 until further notice

West Melbourne Christian Academy will be closed Thursday, Sept. 2 and Friday, Sept 3

Divine Mercy Catholic Church and School in Merritt Island will be closed on Thursday, Sept. 2 and Friday, Sept. 3

St. Teresa Catholic School closed Thursday, Sept. 2 and Friday, Sept. 3

Merritt Island Christian schools will be closed Thursday, Sept. 2 and Friday, Sept. 3

Melbourne Central Catholic Church and School in Melbourne will be closed Thursday and Friday.

Florida Institute of Technology will close 5 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 1 unitl further notice.

Nova Southeastern Cluster Classes at the Educational Services Facility are cancelled on Thursday, Sept. 2 and Friday, Sept. 3

Cocoa Utilities asks all residents to shut off all irrigation systems by Friday, Sept. 3 and to use water sparingly

All court proceedings are cancelled for Thursday, Sept. 2 and Friday, Sept. 3. Until further notice courts will reopen on Tuesday, Sept. 7

Melbourne residents only can get free sandbags Thursday and Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Public Works complex located at 2895 Harper Road. For more information call (321) 674-5761

Reservations are no longer being accepted for Brevard County's only pet-friendly shelter. If an evacuation becomes necessary, pet owners are advised to take their pets with them. Their options include:

Arrange to stay with friends or family

Go to a hotel that allows pets. For a listing of these hotels, check http://www.petswelcome.com. Also, some hotels that don't normally accept pets, will make an exception during emergencies

Plan to drop pets at the Melbourne Greyhound Track which would be available if an evacuation were ordered

Now would you want to drive into that?

I think this would answer your question as to whether or not you're sailing...I wouldn't wait for the cruiseline to tell you about the weather. It's pretty obvious at this point. As to why they would delay a decision, if the hurricane all of the sudden made a last minute turn to the east overnight, it would give the ports time to unload/load passengers in order to head out again. An empty ship will cost the line a bundle, while human life is more valuable you can't blame them for hoping for a last minute miracle. We're all glancing upstairs hoping for a reprieve. :rolleyes:

strike.gif

My thoughts and prayers are with you all! I live near Tampa and for the grace of God we were spared. I did have to go to Orlando after Charlie it was a mess. I can't imagine Port Charlotte. I will never ever hesitate to evacuate when told to go after the damage I saw. My 19 yr old son lives in Orlando and I've all ready called and told him to come home. Mysuggestion is to email Charlie Crist who has been investigating price gouging after the last hurricane. Sounds like this is gouging of another sort. I hope the powers that be at RCCL come to their senses. The desk jockies need to take a trip down south.

Good luck to you all.

Archived