orient beach

nicholasis1

Since we will be on st thomas the following day, we were going to skip the beach on st marteen, however everyone keeps saying we need to go to orient beach. So they have chairs there and food services also? I wanted to try to visist some shops on that day but Now I hear that we should not miss the beach. how far is the beach from all the shopping. Thanks for all the informatin as always. Don:)

The beach was pretty far from the port the Caribbean Princess was at, we went by it on our tour. The port was on the Dutch side of the island and Orient Beach on the French side? The tour driver cracked some jokes about it being a nude beach as we went by but no one wanted off the bus to go check it out.

I think some of the beach only is nude the rest people stay clothed some have said so it depends on you and how you feel about the whole thing if its worth the taxi ride or excursion. Iv heard good things about this beach too, but we did a tour instead.

Orient beach is beautiful! Chairs and umbrellas are availale for rent, and food is available as well.

The entire beach allows for topless sunbathing, but only part of it is clothing-optional (full nudity).

Exactly!!

nicolasis1..... even though it is clothing optional in some parts..you won't se everyone naked. We seen maybe 2 people when we were there. Big deal..you just look away. or stare:D I replied to one of your other posts -- we lounged by and ate at Coco beach. Its was pretty much away from all the action. We loved every minute of it!!

Don't miss it!! Its absolutley stunning!!!

Here are a couple of photos of Orient beach from our day there in April

1672328675_Orientbeach.jpg.fc2b10ea0bb24943b59a8c4bc5b13a73.jpg

2097359079_OrientBeach2.jpg.cedf8c88ed3b4c376287bba94523a1b8.jpg

We took a tour that included an hour and a half of shopping and about 3 hours at the beach. I LOVED Orient Beach. It was so beautiful! It was much better than St. Thomas. As for nude people, there were maybe one or 2 topless. They stayed on their chairs.I would definately consider going. Look into a tour or get one when you get off the ship. Have fun!!

PS. I liked shopping on the French Side better. It is very pretty there.

Orient Beach is one of my favorite beaches. It is a huge stretch of soft sand and beautiful water. Not everyone is nude or even topless. Just be aware that it is there. You will have no problem renting umbrellas and chairs (and they usually include one drink and/or use of the bathroom facilities). There are plenty of places to eat and drink along the beach. Also lots of the usual tourists souvenirs available. However, you should also have time to browse through the shops in town near the ship before you leave for the day. We always have time to do both, usually stopping to shop on our way back from the beach. You will have no problem finding cabs wherever you choose to go.

Orient Beach is beautiful. There's parasailing and small boat rentals available. Maybe water skiing, but I can't remember. When you get to the beach, if you don't want the clothing optional scene, stay to the left. The clothing optional is on the right end (south end) of Orient Beach, especially as you reach the clothing optional resort at the far end.

Lots of lounge chairs & umbrellas, vendors, etc. Lovely, protected beach so the water is nice and calm for swimming. Beautiful clear water. Have fun!:)

Boy, my family's experience with Orient Beach is different. Lots of topless and quite a number of completely nude bathers. By lots I mean friends and sister were in the minority by wearing bathing suits.

You probably were on the "wrong" part of the beach. One needs to go away from Club Orient. This is a totally nude area. We were in an area farthest away. It was mostly tourists from cruise ships and such. Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

We are planning to catch a cab as soon as we are off the ship to go to Orient Beach, spend a few hours sunning, swimming and people-watching, and then go back to the shopping area for a couple of hours before the ship sails. I think there will be time to do both. I have never been to St. Martin, and Orient Beach is a must see since it is such a famous beach.

Bonnie

We are planning to catch a cab as soon as we are off the ship to go to Orient Beach, spend a few hours sunning, swimming and people-watching, and then go back to the shopping area for a couple of hours before the ship sails. I think there will be time to do both. I have never been to St. Martin, and Orient Beach is a must see since it is such a famous beach.

Bonnie

We did the same thing and we had plenty of time. I attached 2 thumbnail pics of Orient Beach in my earlier post to this thread. We love this beach!! We also prefered the French side to the the Dutch, found it to be nicer, but shopping wise you can find better deals on the Dutch side.

Have fun!

You probably were on the "wrong" part of the beach. One needs to go away from Club Orient. This is a totally nude area. We were in an area farthest away. It was mostly tourists from cruise ships and such. Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

What makes you assume that they had a "bad" experience? They may certainly have seen more full nudity than they expected (or perhaps wanted), but that doesn't mean they had a bad time at the beach.

CO is not the "wrong" part of the beach in general terms; it may definitely the wrong part of the beach for you, that doesn't make it wrong for others. Considering that toplessness is allowed along the entire length of Orient (and on all the French side beaches; in the French custom), if someone doesn't want to see any nudity at all (including toplessness), they should not go to the beach. I'm pretty tired of cruise pax (primarily US visitors it seems) expecting another country and culture to change its perfectly reasonable customs to suit cruise pax "prejudices." In the US, we get quite upset if visitors expect us to change our ways to suit them (and well we should because they are our US customs, which even vary by region); the reverse should be true when we visit other countries. We should respect their customs in this matter. (I am not saying we or anyone should accept customs which are hateful, harmful, or degrading. That's another issue entirely.)

I am glad that you found a part of the beach that suited your tastes and preferences. Orient is a gorgeous beach and one of our favorites.

beachchick

Well said Beachchick. I had the same thought when I read that post. In fact, the person she was responding to, Kitty9, did not say her family had a bad experience, just that it was "different".

When I go to Orient Beach, I will not go to the clothing option part of the beach because I would not be comfortable with my own nudity. In fact, there are days when I am not comfortable with my body when fully clothed either :o . However, I respect the right of others to dress or undress according to their own customs and prevailing laws of the country they are in. If it did bother me, I would stay off the beaches where it is allowed and engage in other activities, such as shopping :D

Bonnie

waiting2retire: Thank you. That was very nice of you to say.

I did want to mention that even at Club Orient you are not required to be nude or even topless. It's completely clothing (or lack thereof) optional. We've seen people at that end of the beach wearing everything from sandals and a smile to full bathing suit with coverup. No one is made to feel "less than" just because they do or don't go au naturale. We've not stayed at CO, but have strolled through, had a snack at the Perch Bar (tasty), and wandered through the little shop (I bought a friend the shot glass; he loved it, of course). We like the Pedro's to Baywatch area, which is at the CO end of the beach. The water there is really nice for swimming, the people are very nice, and there are all kinds of folks there (plenty of topless ladies usually, as well as plenty who are not--and no judgment either way).

If you are more comfortable being around people who wear swimsuits, then of course you should head to the end of Orient that's farthest from CO. If it's only your own body you are worried about and you don't care about what other people wear, then you can hang out anywhere along the beach that "fits" your mood. (The food at Baywatch is excellent, according to my sister and BIL; we've not eaten there yet, but plan to next time.)

Believe me, I know what you mean about feeling uncomfortable even fully clothed. Time and other factors have irrevocably changed the "me" I used to be. I prefer to be topless versus fully nude on the beach because that's my comfort level. (For the ladies, topless swimming in salt water has the added benefit of adding the "buoyancy" that age usually takes away.)

I'm sure you will enjoy Orient, no matter which section of the beach you chose. It can get crowded when there are several ships in port and during the "high" season, but it's really wonderful any time, IMO.

beachchick

we went to Orient beach. was very nice.. Like they said above, to the left is the totally nude beach. NO cameras allowed there. you will want orient beach, and if you would like to walk to club orient, you can. its just a walk up the beach.. like the tour guide said to the gentlemen on the bus. ITS NOT BAYWATCH!!! LOL and its NOT!!! lol There are cameras allowed at this beach.. the tourguide said also, if someone gets in the way of your camera, its fair game. its rather funny to see others with no clothing on... its an experience. after the beach, we went shopping, that is right at the port. just a short walk

our experience there was once in a lifetime... my huband was in the water, and I was up on the beach.. there he was, bobbing in the water enjoying it, while this young gal and her daughter were in front of him on the beach.. she was topless, and only a few yards away directly in front of him... if you could have seen his pearly whites... my husband was a sight out there watching her... not to mention, its all on video too!! LOL

Facing the water, Club Orient (and the fully nude/CO part of the beach) is to the right on the beach, not the left. Just a clarification.

beachchick

Correct:) We were there last Christmas (rented a van and drove around the island ourselves - very easy - one main road follows the coast all the way around)

This beach has the cheapest parasailing~ DH, MIL, and my kids loved it

(a lot cheaper here than in the bahamas)

Archived