Cost of drinks onboard

JeanfromBNA

Its been a couple of years since I have cruised (leaving in a couple of days though) so I don't remember what I have paid for wine in the past. The prices that everyone is talking about seems reasonalbe to me since in includes tip. I think I paid $6.95 for a glass of "nothing speacial" at Olive Garden which was followed by a $2.00 tip.

Its been a couple of years since I have cruised (leaving in a couple of days though) so I don't remember what I have paid for wine in the past. The prices that everyone is talking about seems reasonalbe to me since in includes tip. I think I paid $6.95 for a glass of "nothing speacial" at Olive Garden which was followed by a $2.00 tip.

Then you should be just fine:) I would think for the 8.95 you spent

at Olive Garden you would be able to find a glass on the ship

to your liking.

Hi:

Too bad that Celebrity does not have wine cards like HAL.

With HAL, you may purchase either a 10 or 20 punch card wine card. The 20 pour card costs ?$77.63, including the gratuity, which works out to $3.88 a (6 oz.) pour glass, with a choice of six different wines! Certainly a far better value than $6.95 + for a glass of wine with Celebrity!

Why Celebrity has not gone the way of wine cards like HAL has is beyond me!

Ward

and I would be willing to bet, wine at 5.95 can never be found.

You would lose that bet :p .

I just got off the Mercury yesterday, and every wine menu had a 5.95 glass of wine on it. I was drinking mostly white this weekend, and had a perfectly adequate Californian Sauvignon Blanc for $5.95. I also had a bottle of French Pouilly-Fuisse for $41.00 for dinner one day. I enjoyed both. While we appreciate good quality wines, I am not so much of a wine connoisseur (or wine snob, for that matter :o ) that my pocketbook doesn't appreciate the $5.95 wine at lunch!

My travelling companions had the 5.95 reds and enjoyed them. They weren't Zin's. I know one choice was a Californian Merlot.

Cheers!

Although the martinis cost about $10.00 the glasses are far from small. Believe me, three of them will put you out for the night peacefully.

I agree with Lois. ONE of these martinis gets me tipsy. Two would leave me hammered and I don't think I could even drink three of them!

The martini bar now has a flight of martinis for the same price as a single martini. It's a sampling of six different flavored martinis in smaller (but by no means tiny) glasses. I SHARED a flight on my last cruise, and that half flight was enough to get me a bit drunk!

Hi:

With HAL, you may purchase either a 10 or 20 punch card wine card. The 20 pour card costs ?$77.63, including the gratuity, which works out to $3.88 a (6 oz.) pour glass, with a choice of six different wines! Certainly a far better value than $6.95 + for a glass of wine with Celebrity!

Ward

Hi Ward, just like everything else I guess...some folks want

Celebrity to have PC dining, others want self-serve laundry, and

I guess the wine card is another...."why don't they have it"?

Now I will run for cover as the flames begin:eek: :rolleyes:

Hi:

Ward

If Celebrity had everthing that HAL has, there wouldn't be any need for Celebrity, now would there?

I'm glad Celebrity is different than HAL. That's why we choose to sail with Celebrity.

Better late than never. Wife "put away" all our bills -

Bottle Newcastle Brown Ale - $6.00

Bottle Miller Lite - $4.50

Glass Rutherford Hill Merlot - $8.95

Diet Coke - $1.95

Sombrero (Kahlúa & creme), Grasshopper - $5.95

Margherita - $5.95 (incidentally the worst I've ever had!)

All prices are plus the 15% bar gratuity.

I enjoy trying new wines.

I have not read the thread but, as you enjoy new wines, you must try Ocean Liners.

This is an extra $30 (approx) but more importantly for you is their menu exceptionale. This is a further $27 but includes a different wine with each course - 4 or 5 I think and includes Port with the cheese.

We found it one of our best experiences on the whole cruise.

As for wine by the glass, I think they come in small glasses too. After our experience in we will be looking for a similar experience on other cruises and also consider ordering different wines through the meal.

The tip should have been 15% - $1.04.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a wonderful cruise on the Mercury! Great people, great weather and an overall good time.

As you may be able to note from previous posts I have always defended the price of Alcohol aboard ship as comparable for what you get. I now may have to change my position ever so slightly.

I still believe as I have said before when you get a drink on board for $6 to $8 that includes premium liquor and the tip...it is a comparable value compared to the same experience off ship...if you avoid the automatic souvenir cup or class trick.

Last week I found the same to be true with one exception. I was sitting out by the pool on a great sunny day at sea and elected to order an afternoon Margarita! Sounded great! When it was brought I was shocked...same price as I mentioned above but was served in a very small plastic cup...the very same ones used for juice at the buffet. That Margarita was a memory in about three to four drinks.

As a result I will NEVER order drinks pool side again..unless it's beer in a bottle!

Okay, I have my flame-retardant suit on AHEAD of time:

to put this in the perspective DH and I look at it...

we spend some serious money for the cruise, so when we get there, while we aren't just ordering the most expensive drinks that we can find, we also aren't going to sweat a couple of dollars more for a decent wine or cocktail. Celebrity's prices are pretty much inline with an upscale land-based hotel, aqnd we don't wat our cruise ruined by worrying everytime we order a drink. When we cruise we are "on holiday"! This means no worries, no comparisons to what we'd pay at the neighborhood liquor store back home, and let the cruise line do business.

But, they buy ALL liquor duty free and charge 5 star hotel pricing! It is a Club Med attitude wereby they have a captive audience and milk them. I have had a wine cellar on a Ocenia cruise. The wine steward even refused to charge me the corking fee several times! And once during lunch, I was dreaming of a very nice Chablis (French of course) and not some immitation Chardonnay, with my lunch. The somellier obliged by openning a very nice A.Moreau et Fils and charging only $6 a glass for the two glasses.

We will see what Celeb has to offer on Summit, this January.

Henry;)

Archived