No Express Disembarkation

Love Cruises

We just got off the msNOORDAM's Panama Canal trip this past Saturday, Oct. 20th. HAL did not have their usual express disembarkation like we have always used when we were finishing a cruise in NYC. On prior cruises we were normally off the ship by 8:00 am. Because of there being 2 other ships at the NYC cruise terminal (NCL SPIRIT and CARNIVAL MIRACLE), HAL did not start disembarkation of passengers until 9:45 am. The front desk personnel said HAL was no longer doing express walk off but that was not the case on the same ship this past March.

We're curious to see what happens when the Noordam comes into port again on the 31st!

Express disembarkation does not work well if it keeps other passengers from disembarking in a timely manner and making their flights. It will be a problem if the ship docks late, disembarkation starts late or there are an excessive number choosing the express disembark. They may have decided to skip it for your cruise because of the late disembarkation or perhaps too many were choosing it in NYC.

We were on a Princess cruise from LA last year. There was a much higher number choosing this than usual plus a late start. It was a mess.

We've seen people lugging way too much to efficiently get themselves off the ship and into the terminal without impeding others. Not everyone uses common sense and not everyone thinks of others. Once again, abuse by some leads to denial to all.

We've seen people lugging way too much to efficiently get themselves off the ship and into the terminal without impeding others. Not everyone uses common sense and not everyone thinks of others. Once again, abuse by some leads to denial to all.

You hit the nail ......with this one.

If you were not debarking until 0945 something had to be holding up the process. Most likely it was someone that did not go through customs (non US Citizen) or someone did not settle up their bill.

Most of the time they do not start debarking until cleared by customs and the fron office.

Have never witness the fiasco of debarkment. Ruth and I are always on the last group and sit on the balcony drinking coffee and enjoying the day until last call is made.

This way the luggage area is cleared out and there is no massive rush of a multitude of people to get to the same place at the same time. We prefer to stop and smell the roses (sea Air). We drive as you might guess.

Could you visualize Ruth and I and 13 suitcases trying to get off the ship on early debarkment. Now that would be a fiasco....

Ruth & Jim

Jim..... :) How long does it take you and Ruth to pack all those bags back up when it is time to go home?

That is an impressive list of upcoming cruises. Good for you! Hope you have a grand time on each!

Seeing the mess while people await being called for disembarkation while completely disregarding the instructions to not congregate in stairwells and passageways, I can only imagine what a circus walk-off folks could cause.

This is what bugs me... people clogging up the hallways and stairwells. We get to leave when we want (usually) and I am still amazed at the number of people who just stand there and complain that their number hasn't been called...

Sadly, we've seen some pretty poor disembarkation ettiquette - pushing, shoving, cursing.. what a horrible way to end a vacation. :o

I wish we could post your answer on every thread that brings this up! Kudos to you!!!!

If you were not debarking until 0945 something had to be holding up the process. Most likely it was someone that did not go through customs (non US Citizen) or someone did not settle up their bill.

Most of the time they do not start debarking until cleared by customs and the fron office.

Have never witness the fiasco of debarkment. Ruth and I are always on the last group and sit on the balcony drinking coffee and enjoying the day until last call is made.

This way the luggage area is cleared out and there is no massive rush of a multitude of people to get to the same place at the same time. We prefer to stop and smell the roses (sea Air). We drive as you might guess.

Could you visualize Ruth and I and 13 suitcases trying to get off the ship on early debarkment. Now that would be a fiasco....

Ruth & Jim

You got that right! Don't even want to think about it! :) Regardless of departure/arrival port, it's an option not available to us!

Seniors, we pack accordingly. Porters are in short supply so we think in terms of one bag per person -who cares (or really notices) that I, (female) wear the same outfit more than once?

We cruise because we enjoy it! - most certainly not to impress our friends or dining companions!

Sadly, we've seen some pretty poor disembarkation ettiquette - pushing, shoving, cursing.. what a horrible way to end a vacation. :o

Funny you don't mention the kicking and screaming you do, when the crew finally ejects you, and says bye-bye.:D

Slippers are easy. Just sort out and then repack for the next cruise and stack the suitcases in the closet.

Lot of repetitive items (not clothing) we keep in couple 12 gallon plastic flip top containers sorted by season (Halloween, general, xmas, etc, cosmetics, hair irons, etc) Keep them in garage.

Clothers are all clean as we utilize laundry to fullest extent so just hang up.

Dry cleaned items are set in chair and taken oiut in couple days and put in closet.

Since Ruth empties her closets (note plural) out she just starts in the back and hangs everything up.

Since we are increasing cruise schedule may suggest to her that items that do not wrinkle she should leave in suitcases and we can leave flat in closet.

Think there is only 2 weeks between cruises.

I am the smart one. get home sunday and go back to work monday so do not have to be around when she rants and unpacks.

Hope his answers the question...

Ruth & Jim

Read your post.

We are in no hurry to leave the ship as we get a cab to our SUV and the drive home is only couple hours. When everyone clears out it is easier to leave the ship and less of a hassle to find your luggage.

Ruth is also in a wheelchair so there is more room to maneuver and not run into other people.

NO WE DO NOT DRESS TO IMPRESS OTHERS....

I spend 25 years in the Army and do not practice to be miserable anymore. Ruth Packs what she thinks she needs and if she wants to take six formal dresses for 2 formal night because she cannot make up her mind SO WHAT.

Maybe we use two porters but they are tipped accordingly and have never had one of them complain.

If you have never cruised with us or know us I find it offensive the judgments that you have made. There are enough people on this board that have sailed with us and they will surely tell you we are down to earth people and really enjoy ourselves. If I have misunderstood you post I apoligize but I do not think I have...

Ruth & Jim

JV: SCHEDULED CRUISES:

10-28-07 Veendam (7 day) Western Caribbean)

11-25-07 Veendam (14 day Southern Carib)

02-09-08 Oosterdam (7 day) Mexican Rivera

04-12-08 Veendam (19 day) Reposition

10-01-08 Eurodam (15 day) Atlantic Coast

12-01-08 Ryndam (10 day) Sea of Cortez

How are you going to get to San Diego?;)

Even though we are always in a suite, and could be down at the gangway to get off the ship right away, we have never chosen to "hang out" down at the gangway. Thus I could never tell you if there was a mob down there clogging the disembarkation area. We always wait in our cabin or on the verandah until our number and color is called. We always follow instructions.

Even though we are always in a suite, and could be down at the gangway to get off the ship right away, we have never chosen to "hang out" down at the gangway. Thus I could never tell you if there was a mob down there clogging the disembarkation area. We always wait in our cabin or on the verandah until our number and color is called. We always follow instructions.

Do people who stay in suites get priority disembarkation?

People in Suites can have Suite Priority Disembarkation if they wish. Like everyone else, we fill out the form which states our flight/onward travel info but we can request priority off if we wish. Another nice comfort included in the considerably higher fare.

People in Suites can have Suite Priority Disembarkation if they wish. Like everyone else, we fill out the form which states our flight/onward travel info but we can request priority off if we wish. Another nice comfort included in the considerably higher fare.

Thanks sail7seas! We are staying in an SC the "Z" in three weeks:D

The priority disembarkation will be helpful as we have a flight out of FLL before noon (yes I know we are cutting it close:rolleyes:).

When you complete the 'onward travel' questionnaire, be sure to write SUITE PRIORITY DISEMBARKATON REQUESTED..... you probably would get it anyway with your early flight time but write that to be sure you get the earliest color tags and number.

Have a great cruise.

When you complete the 'onward travel' questionnaire, be sure to write SUITE PRIORITY DISEMBARKATON REQUESTED..... you probably would get it anyway with your early flight time but write that to be sure you get the earliest color tags and number.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the info!

We are looking forward to our Turkey Day Cruise:D

Jim, I noticed that you're sailing on Sunday!! How wonderful. You & Ruth will, I'm sure, have a wonderful cruise. But a BON VOYAGE, anyway.

When you sail out of San Diego for your Mexican cruise, maybe we can watch you unload whatever vehicle on the web cam. Now that would really be a treat!:D:D Keep enjoying life.

Colette

Archived