Tahiti vs Hawaii

kkbay

We've snorkeled on the Big Island and Maui. How does Tahiti compare? We loved Hawaii. Is Tahiti markedly better (I'm talking about the scenery above and below water).

Also, which ship would you take - Paul Gauguin or Tahitian Princess? I'm not saying money is no object, but is PG worth it? All opinions appreciated.

Thanks!:):)

KKbay - we have also snorkeled both islands and I will say that the snorkeling in Tahiti is probably 100% better than Hawai'i. I was really amazed because I used Hawai'i as the hallmark for snorkeling for a long time, but nothing can compare to the variety of waterlife, warmth of the water, acessiblily, It really is an experience.

We have sailed upon the TP and have another cruise with her next year, but we are also looking at the PG for when Princess no longer offers cruises in the region (start of 2009 - I think I read). From what I've heard, the service is fabulous - this is a question for Wendy the Wanderer and for Degas - both have sailed the PG and love it.

For our part, we have thoroughly enjoyed the TP, love the size of the ship, the food, the service, even the decor is great. The PG being smaller has more access to docks that the TP, so there's a lot of tendering in and out of the islands, so that must be considered too.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of them!

Charlie

I really don't think you can compare them. Tahiti is probably what Hawaii was 50-70 years ago. I have to agree though, that the snorkeling was by far much better in Tahiti. I have never seen coral or fish like we just saw on our snorkeling tours, magnificent!!

Hawaii is the US with all the chains, beautiful hotels and wonderful restaurants. Tahiti is very underdeveloped and that is how they like it. It is also much more expensive than Hawaii.

We just did the TP and enjoyed it very much. Also spent 3 days in Moorea at the Pearl Resort in an OWB.

My dream was always to go to FP and now I have done it. Do I want to go back, not really. Do I want to go back again and again to Hawaii, yes.

Comparing the TP and the PG is really very difficult. One is a mass market cruise, the other is a luxury line. I haven't taken the TP, but I have sailed on the PG, and am getting ready for my third cruise in Dec. Keep in mind the PG has only about 300 pax. There's not much nightlife, no big shows, but there are stimulating lectures. Everything is included, tips, all liquor, everything. No formals - all CC casual. the ratio of staff to pax is much lower. No waiting in line, no assigned meal seating, its just a much more casual, indivdual environment. And don't forget the Les Gaugines - a group of 10-12 Tahiitian girls that sail with you and give craft and pareau demonstrations, sing and dance, and interact in a very friendly way with the passengers.;) .

Naturally, everyone is prejudiced to their individual experience, but it all depends upon you and what you consider important. We almost cruised the PG for our 25th Wedding anniversary five years ago and due to the expense, decided against it. For our 30th, we chose to do the TP instead. We ended up with a mini-suite with a huge balcony. We aren't avid cruisers so the balcony was absolutely essential. To have the same beautiful spacious suite on the PG would have been astronomical in price. And to us, the trade to have the mini suite vs. the tips, liquor and other included items did not even compare. (We don't drink that much and $10 per day tip wasn't that big a deal.) While I cannot compare the look of the PG and assume it is lovely, the TP is really a beautiful ship too and it was in excellent condition during our recent cruise.

Plus, a 10-day cruise after flying so far was also a deciding factor and was much better than the common 7 day offered on the PG. Of course, the TP is about twice the size of the PG--but it only holds 670 passengers which hardly qualifies to be defined as a "mass market cruise." We did not have to wait in line--although we did have to wait our turn a couple of times to get on the tenders or to be seated in the dining room. And while I do appreciate not having formal nights on the PG--you are not required to do them on the TP--you always have a couple of other options on formal nights. Additionally, there wasn't too much nightlife on the TP either--and although there are also some lectures on the TP (not sure how "stimulating" they were so can't compare there) but we weren't interested and didn't go. Oh, and the PG was in 3 or 4 of the same ports we were at during our cruise. As far as I could tell, the TP has better port privileges, (we docked at Raiatea and they had to tender into the port, and on Bora Bora the PG was anchored further from the dock)

Because we considered the PG five years ago I read a number of reviews of the PG and from what I could tell there were just as many people who had issues with food, service and details on the PG as there were on the TP. Some even complained about those Les Gaugines girls!

As I said in the beginning, it comes down to what is most important to you. Obviously to us the big suite and balcony was very important. Plus, a HUGE part of our enjoyment came from the friends that we traveled with and the great CC group that was on our sailing. We have absolutely no regrets for having chosen the TP instead of the PG. No matter what you decide, there will be things you love and maybe some things you would change if you could--the most common denominator will be you!

Whichever you decide, have a great experience.

--Kathy

PS. Once you have snorkeled in Tahiti you will be ruined for snorkeling in Hawaii or anywhere else!

I just returned from the 11 day Pg cruise.

You cannot compare TP to PG.

On the TP you have the same menu as ALL the other Princess ships and with the PG your menu is not like any other ship.

I was trying to be optimistic re the PG after reading the CC boards and saw negative comments BUT all I can say is WOW!!!!

The staff were wonderful and happy. They have a picture of all passengers on the wall in their dining room with our preferences and get prizes every day for remembering who likes what.

Not to be nickeled and dimed for every coke or latte or ice cream etc etc was great.

Yes it is more expensive but worth every penny.

The Paul Gauguin will spoil you for any other cruise line !!!!!!

(stay tuned for my review in the next couple of days)

As our family of 4 adults is leaving in 6 weeks, Degas, I am glad to hear you say that! This will be the second trip for 3 of us, but the first trip for my one daughter...........Its nice to have our expectations reinforced about our wonderful trip to come.

Interesting about the crew! Glad they get rewards for their personalized service......I do think a contribution to the Crew Fund is a good way to reward staff who helped you have a memorable experience!

Looking forward to your review, Degas......

glenda

As our family of 4 adults is leaving in 6 weeks, Degas, I am glad to hear you say that! This will be the second trip for 3 of us, but the first trip for my one daughter...........Its nice to have our expectations reinforced about our wonderful trip to come.

Interesting about the crew! Glad they get rewards for their personalized service......I do think a contribution to the Crew Fund is a good way to reward staff who helped you have a memorable experience!

Looking forward to your review, Degas......

glenda

We've snorkeled on the Big Island and Maui. How does Tahiti compare? We loved Hawaii. Is Tahiti markedly better (I'm talking about the scenery above and below water).

Also, which ship would you take - Paul Gauguin or Tahitian Princess? I'm not saying money is no object, but is PG worth it? All opinions appreciated.

Thanks!:):)

Tahiti is the BEST......hands down.......beutiful clear water.....:)

......and....obviously we prefer TP......having already selected to sail on her. We loved it and plan to go back on TP. We preferred the extra days at a lower cost.

I couldn't find it anywhere else on the Princess site.

What are the drink costs on the TP? Wine with dinner? etc.

What about soft drinks? Are you also charged extra for them?

What about coffee when it's not in the restaurant?

Does it cost for a bottle of water?

How about the alternative restaurant?

If you order room service is there a charge and if so, what is it?

What is the suggested tips per day/per person? What about the cost of tips for your bartender, etc?

To make a fair comparison, you'd need to know what these costs are per day and then each person would have to make their own decision as to whether those costs will add up significantly. On the PG all of the above is included in the price of the cruise.

ATA--In my opinion the major comparison between the PG and the TP are the size of the cabins with balconies. As I mentioned in my earlier post--it all depends upon what is important to you. Once I was on board the TP I did not calculate the items I choose to experience, anymore than I’m sure you will calculate how much you "save" on the PG on your upcoming December cruise. Yes, you are absolutely right that those on the TP have to buy their own wine, cocktails and specialty coffee (water is free on the TP and out of the tap tasted great--and it is much more ecologically sound NOT to use plastic bottles!). Besides, that all depends upon how much you drink. ;) As it turned out, with a room credit from Princess AND my TA, I was happy at how small my room tab was upon checking out...and for the price of the mini suite on the TP I could afford to buy much more than I could have ever wanted on the PG. Again, it all depends on what is important to an individual...but, there is no reason to put down other people's choices :)

I am certain that you will have a wonderful time on the PG and will be very happy with your decision.

--Kathy

Ia orana

Noticing a pattern for the question about FP, cruising and activities...

PG and TP only come up. Whjat happened to the excellent local products I ask ?

I have just returned from a week long cruising ( actually yachting comes to mind). Inexperienced cruise traveller I must admit with only so far the Wind Song and Bora Bora cruises under my sailor belt. The Haumana was to be tried. in the same vein, i flew back with passengers of the Aranui cruises in the marquesas.

Incredible scenery is offered from the decks of the Haumana, only 12 cabins on board for that yachting feeling ( no mad rushes to the all included excusions eather. Great diversified cooking !( especially preparing the fish caught from the rear deck the previous night ( never fished ever before in my life either so the 12 lagoon fish catchthe first night (averaging 1lb each) was a record.

The Tahitian crew offered on the evenings different form of entertainment that really anchored that cruise in Tahiti in my mind.

http://www.tahiti-haumana-cruises.com/

Kep them in mind before booking!

trip report to come with photos soon

Meherio

IMG_0454.jpg.158275215d91fb9ca5f5e96f058db398.jpg

...but, there is no reason to put down other people's choices :)

--Kathy

Thank you for your post but I was asking the questions so others could make a fair comparison. Without them knowing the price of drinks or other extras, how can they know whether for them the TP or the PG is a better fit for them? The info I'm asking for is not listed on the Princess website. I would hope others would be williing to cough up the pricing for others who might be trying to make an informed decision.

I wonder where you considered me putting others down? I think your comment in this thread directed at me was uncalled for.

I think comparing the TP and the PG is sort of like comparing apples and oranges. They offer two very different services and you pay for that service, whether it's part of the inital cruise fee or afterwards. You aren't getting anything free with either cruise line - otherwise these folks would be out of a job.

I'll try to answer your questions - the drinks usually run between $2.50 to $4.50 depending upon what you order. A bottle of wine will run you about $10-$150 a night, but if there is just two of you, the bottle can be saved and served the following night. The option here is that you pay for what you want, it's not automatically charged the cruise fare.

Again, soft drink are about $2.50 or so, but you can always bring your own on board, which is what a lot of people do. Or you can buy a soda card to off-set the cost. Again, it's nice to have the option of not paying for something that you aren't going to use. We don't drink soda at all, just water and we buy a pack on shore and just replenish as we go along. This is also what we do at home - no hardship there.

Coffee is free, as is ice tea and water from the buffet. It's also free on room service.

The alternative resaurants are between $10 and $20 depending upon which one you chose.

Room service is free and available 24 hours.

The tip charge is $10 a day and is split shipwide. You can tip extra if you want or you can go to the Purser's desk and have the tips removed and not tip at all.

As Degas pointed out, the menus aboard Princess are all the same, but unless you cruise Princess exclusively (we do) and frequently (more than twice a year - we don't cruise but once a year), the menus aren't all that repetitive. Theya re also currently revamping all the menus, but it will take awhile for them to be implemented fleetwide.

If you go to cruiseclues.com - all the menus, wine lists, etc. are available as are the pricesfor bar drinks and the like.

I agree that we shouldn't flame a person or a cruiseline here - it's all up to personal choice. We love Princess and will sail with her until she leaves us no option. This isn't to say that the PG isn't a fabulous ship and a wonderful experience, but with all our perks, it makes more sense for us to stay with Princess.

Charlie

Meherio, just want to say that its nice that you provide consideration for an alternative to the PG and the TP, but its at a MUCH higher price - I went to the website and for a 7 day cruise on the Haumana, we're talking $4145 cruise only - no airfare! Add an airfare of conservatively another $1,500 pp, and we're looking at $5600 + for the cruise, or over 11 grand for two people for a week.

Certainly not for everyone........:eek:

Ia orana,

In all comparison, I value two things in life, difference for the cost and most important value for the money.

More expensive indeed it is, Value wise no comparison for the experience to be on a Yacht with only 11 other cabins. The Haumana has also a 3 day and 4 day itinerary that combined with a land stay can offer that true polynesian experience.

Still sorting through the many photos and preparing the trip report

Meherio

To the original poster--yes, the Paul Gauguin is worth it.

I can't say much more than what the others have said. I know there was a period when morale on the ship went down (I know, I was on her). But from everything I've heard that has changed, especially now that Regent has renewed their management of the ship through 2009 at least.

Just keep in mind:

- more port-intensive itineraries (the 7-day is the MOST port-intensive, but can be made longer with a back-to-back)

- an entire motu day, with sports equipment, drinks, food included

- beach afternoons on a motu when in Bora Bora

- the Gauguines--fabulous entertainers, sweet girls

- small ship, wonderful personal service

- NO FORMAL NIGHTS--country club casual all the way\

- all-inclusive including drinnks and tips, nothing more to pay for except excursions (and pearls!)

Yes, it's nice having a balcony, but no, I don't spring for one, but go for a window suite on deck E. So much time is spent either off ship or on deck, I decided that I would rather save my money so that I can go back (been 3 times, 28 days on PG, 2 more weeks coming up next year.)

Thanks Charlie for your more detailed report. It will help folks. The TP is certainly an excellent option from everything I've heard. The cost difference nowadays is greater than it was when I looked into the two ships. However as others have said, for those trying to choose based on service, here's something that someone posted on the Regent board in the last day or two. Granted it wasn't the TP, but you can see one mans opinion as to the differences.

We just returned from a 17 day TA crossing on the Emerald Princess and I can tell you the Emerald Princess to me was like a stripped Ford the Regent line was like a top end Lexus, yes it cost more but you get so much more. As long as I can afford it I will be on Regent or Silver Seas which we have sailed once. The TA cruise was fun but all the nickel and diming of Princess drove us nuts. Plus the service and rooms on Regent are far Superior to the mini suite we were in,

They are two different experiences and even seasoned Princess travellers get tired of having to pay extra for things. It's never been a problem for me - I just block out the sale pitches and go on (working at a college helps for that). If there's something I want, I go for it, if not, okay then.

We enjoy formal dining and dressing up, as well as sea days. The older we get, the more of them we seem to want. So far our favorite cruise has been the one with the most sea days between ports. Coincidence or did it just work out that way?

We've been on an all-inclusive cruise and it was nice, yet back to Princess we go for the intineraies and schedules. I felt really guilty about not going on the planned excursion, even though they weren't what I want, but the Scottish side of my nature was - hey, you paid for them, get going. I like picking what I wanted to do in each port or just walking around looking at stuff. Nothing wrong with either, just my preference.

That's the great thing about having so many different lines. You can shop until you find something that is best for you. Vive la difference!

Charlie

• 1 year later...

I have just returned from a week long cruising ( actually yachting comes to mind). Inexperienced cruise traveller I must admit with only so far the Wind Song and Bora Bora cruises under my sailor belt. The Haumana was to be tried. in the same vein, i flew back with passengers of the Aranui cruises in the marquesas.

Meherio

We are contemplating a "Solar Eclipse" sailing on the Aranui 3 in late June/early July 2010 in the Marquesas. I noticed that the Aranui 3 is a freighter. What were the comments of your fellow airline passengers about their experience on the Aranui? And, what did they think of their itinerary?

While we do enjoy adventure and don't want the "glitz" of the big ships, we appreciate some degree of comfort and niceties at this stage of the game. (My husband actually expressed concern at the freighter concept...and I have to make him happy :)).

Thank you for your help with this,

Kathy

Meherio

We are contemplating a "Solar Eclipse" sailing on the Aranui 3 in late June/early July 2010 in the Marquesas. I noticed that the Aranui 3 is a freighter. What were the comments of your fellow airline passengers about their experience on the Aranui? And, what did they think of their itinerary?

While we do enjoy adventure and don't want the "glitz" of the big ships, we appreciate some degree of comfort and niceties at this stage of the game. (My husband actually expressed concern at the freighter concept...and I have to make him happy :)).

Thank you for your help with this,

Kathy

Archived